Help me select a preamp

Hi Gobble,
I just thought you might be interested in this thread:

Transcendent Grounded Grid Preamp Questions. UPDATE: Now Modification Thread

Nice - VH Audio Teflon capacitors as a replacement? This one (The Grounded Grid preamplifier) recommends either Russian PIO (green), K42Y-2, 220 nF/500V or 1 uF Mundorf MCAP Supreme Silver/Gold caps.

And either a Grayhill CT switch or direct wire soldering. I am actually procuring The Transcendent 24-Step Attenuator Kit for an extra $139 (The Transcendent 24 Step Audio Attenuator) and Preamp Muting Circuit (Muting Circuit) - because a review mentioned a risky popping noise problem if you don't wait 15 secs before switching on the SS amp also the need for fine tuning volume control at low levels with single driver speakers.

The caps can wait - after 100 hours of play I can do A/B test.

I feel so upbeat about this escape from hi-end product pricing (with no guarantees of delivering the sound I want) .. I don't mind spending xxtra for upgrade mods down the line :)

I am almost certain I can live with the sound this thing delivers ... I will know next week.

Thanks and Cheers :)

Regards

Last edited:
Nice - VH Audio Teflon capacitors as a replacement? This one (The Grounded Grid preamplifier) recommends either Russian PIO (green), K42Y-2, 220 nF/500V or 1 uF Mundorf MCAP Supreme Silver/Gold caps.

And either a Grayhill CT switch or direct wire soldering. I am actually procuring The Transcendent 24-Step Attenuator Kit for an extra $139 (The Transcendent 24 Step Audio Attenuator) and Preamp Muting Circuit (Muting Circuit) - because a review mentioned a risky popping noise problem if you don't wait 15 secs before switching on the SS amp also the need for fine tuning volume control at low levels with single driver speakers.

The caps can wait - after 100 hours of play I can do A/B test.

I feel so upbeat about this escape from hi-end product pricing (with no guarantees of delivering the sound I want) .. I don't mind spending xxtra for upgrade mods down the line :)

I am almost certain I can live with the sound this thing delivers ... I will know next week.

Thanks and Cheers :)

Regards

Whoa man! You actually ordered it already without listening to it?

Well if you picky and choosy about sound, flat-broke AND in India, you don't have much choices, do you! ;) Have fun, man! :eek:hyeah:

I have money to spend when it is accompanied by a certain conviction. I can trust a person like Bruce of Transcendent going by his reputation. On the other hand I dont have money to go shopping like a consumer. I could spend more on DIY than on picking a preamp from the shelf ...

Regards

I have money to spend when it is accompanied by a certain conviction. I can trust a person like Bruce of Transcendent going by his reputation. On the other hand I dont have money to go shopping like a consumer. I could spend more on DIY than on picking a preamp from the shelf ...

Regards

Oops I'm sorry if it sounded in a way it wasn't meant to be. :) What I meant is what you've typed here, albeit more refined...

Oops I'm sorry if it sounded in a way it wasn't meant to be. :) What I meant is what you've typed here, albeit more refined...

No No I didnt take offence to be called broke. I am quite happy being the shirtless types aimlessly loitering around hills and medows .... :)

I was referring to my futile search for equipment that costs $$$ but guarantees nothing in turn with regards to what I want in terms of SQ. Esp since we cant audition at home ... DIY promises to be much more satisfying even if it does not deliver everything one seeks ... :)

Regards

Interestingly Bruce Rozenblit of TS is well known for his products not needing /performing better with tweaks-the designs are all well optimised. Thats doesnt mean that minor tweaks cannot be done-I felt better using a stepped (Noble) pot for the volume control and I got it for $25, but I would hesitate at a very high end unit unless I felt it would really do something for me. The Noble pot did not improve the perofrmance, but at $25 I felt it was not too pricey. The TS message board has some interesting posts about upgrading and Bruce's viewpoint is clearly expressed in his responses to questions.

Cheers

George

Hi Gobble,
Well, may be you have already called your shots. But in case its not too late, I am selling my Acoustic Portrait PM-1 Reference Preamp. It is exactly what you want....transparency and speed like top quality SS amps while the tone and timbre is rich and lush like high quality tube equipments. I have compared it with numerous preamps and I found it to be one of the best under 150k.

I may sell it for just about your budget. Let me know if you are interested.
I am at Bangalore. You are welcome for an audition.

regards.

The grounded grid is a good one :) I have seen the one george has with him.
Are you getting the kit or assembled one ?

If you still have not ordered the kit, please do audition the preamp DR.Bass has on sale. The PM-1 has replaced many a 100k plus preamp in bangalore.

Hi Gobble,
Well, may be you have already called your shots. But in case its not too late, I am selling my Acoustic Portrait PM-1 Reference Preamp. It is exactly what you want....transparency and speed like top quality SS amps while the tone and timbre is rich and lush like high quality tube equipments. I have compared it with numerous preamps and I found it to be one of the best under 150k.

I may sell it for just about your budget. Let me know if you are interested.
I am at Bangalore. You are welcome for an audition.

regards.

Thanks. I already placed the order. Costs aside, I want to DIY - period. So even if there were cheaper options I wouldn't pick any.

Regards

The grounded grid is a good one :) I have seen the one george has with him.
Are you getting the kit or assembled one ?

If you still have not ordered the kit, please do audition the preamp DR.Bass has on sale. The PM-1 has replaced many a 100k plus preamp in bangalore.

Yeah, it just blew me away with the frequency extension at both extremes and transparency. Awesome VFM!! Would recommend all budget NAD and Norge owners pick this up as a serious VFM upgrade and stop shopping :)

Cheers

Thanks. I already placed the order. Costs aside, I want to DIY - period. So even if there were cheaper options I wouldn't pick any.

Regards

gimme a holler when you done mate. would love to listen! all the best with the diy process!

Back