Help me setup my first ever home theatre system!

50K budget is tuff for even basic system. Consider Denon X550BT in basics + 2.1 speakers then add later surrounds. i.e. canton movie 135 bt still it will go 65k+. Or you may buy used AV Receiver setup. OR any JBL 5.1 Sound bar around 60K.
Hmm…yeah for now I should go with a decent AVR and a 2.0 setup which I can upgrade later.

Sorry. I forgot to elaborate. By saying Pre-power, I mean a multichannel sound processor along with multichannel or mono block power amps. Not stereo pre-power combo.

The user specifically mentioned that he wants to enjoy theatre like sound effects.

AVRs can definitely give home theatre feelings but Not the feelings of theatre.

I know you have pretty much decided on your speakers but have you considered buying FS? They will help you as you can buy subs as the last thing as these will have enough bass and you can later add the center and surrounds and subs. Lets say your 50K is a hard limit, are you open to something used?If you are you can perhaps buy 'something like this' - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/polk-audio-tsi-500-for-sale.85209/. You might not even have to upgrade your fronts later.

For the AVRs you can perhaps look at something in the used market like these -

PLEASE NOTE -
********* I have no affiliation with the sellers nor am I endorsing the products in the posted links. These are just for reference for an alternate way to go about it - obviously you should audition if possible.
********** I know used goods carry a huge risk as they are almost always out of warranty and it is a lot about luck, but I have personally used many in the past and always got something worth a lot more for a lot less including my first HT setup and my first stereo setup which I used for years. It is one way to go about it and you can always upgrade what you do not like later.
********* The AVR might be worth investing in new, as that will get you all the latest features like eARC or Dolby Vision etc, BUT if you do not need those, consider something used.
Hi there

Yes I considered buying used gears. I’m from Tamilnadu, so I’m looking for any deals near my city (Coimbatore). I have no experience buying used electronics online, any tips for me from the experts here?

For now, I decided to go with a 2.0 setup and upgrade on the way. I’m looking for a AVR and a pair of bookshelf speakers.

Sorry. I forgot to elaborate. By saying Pre-power, I mean a multichannel sound processor along with multichannel or mono block power amps. Not stereo pre-power combo.

The user specifically mentioned that he wants to enjoy theatre like sound effects.

Thanks for the suggestion. Currently I have a Mi soundbar, I wanna watch movies with good sound effects, so I thought it’d be good to have 5.1 setup. I’m planning to set this in my living room, but when I have a separate room to setup a theatre room, what you said will work I suppose.

Hi Guru, most of us here did have the same childhood dream!!! The biggest issue is of course, BUDGET. I also had the same budget, around 50K to start with. So, after a lot of R&D, I purchased Yamaha HTR-3072 and Yamaha NS-8390 for 52K. For the surrounds and centre speakers, I used my old Sony HT speakers which are working fine. This set-up is working fine in my 14x20 hall even at -30db volume.

2 days back I got my Yamaha NS-SW200 for 23.5K. So I have a complete 5.1 set @ less than 75K! Next thing I need is decent cd player which complete my entire HT system.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Hi Guru, most of us here did have the same childhood dream!!! The biggest issue is of course, BUDGET. I also had the same budget, around 50K to start with. So, after a lot of R&D, I purchased Yamaha HTR-3072 and Yamaha NS-8390 for 52K. For the surrounds and centre speakers, I used my old Sony HT speakers which are working fine. This set-up is working fine in my 14x20 hall even at -30db volume.

2 days back I got my Yamaha NS-SW200 for 23.5K. So I have a complete 5.1 set @ less than 75K! Next thing I need is decent cd player which complete my entire HT system.

Hope this helps. Thanks.
Oh that’s great man. I’m also looking to buy the HTR 3072, but it seems it’s out of stock everywhere. Where did you get it and for how much? I’m thinking of getting a 3.0 setup for now. Yamaha HTR 3072 with Micca MB42X LCR. Later to add a sub and then get a decent LCR and the move the Miccas to the surrounds.

But since the receiver is difficult to get and I’m itching to get a better sound system soon, I’m thinking of getting the Sony HTS500 RF soundbar and call it a day! But I’m holding off that thought considering I already have Mi soundbar and it’s not that great and don’t want to buy another soundbar!

Oh that’s great man. I’m also looking to buy the HTR 3072, but it seems it’s out of stock everywhere. Where did you get it and for how much? I’m thinking of getting a 3.0 setup for now. Yamaha HTR 3072 with Micca MB42X LCR. Later to add a sub and then get a decent LCR and the move the Miccas to the surrounds.

But since the receiver is difficult to get and I’m itching to get a better sound system soon, I’m thinking of getting the Sony HTS500 RF soundbar and call it a day! But I’m holding off that thought considering I already have Mi soundbar and it’s not that great and don’t want to buy another soundbar!
If it is just to soothe the itch - I can tell you from very costly experiences - "do not do it"; the itch will remain and will only get worse with a little remorse added in there too.

If you can wait a little more - please do and save up a little more and wait for the prices to come down, it will be annoying waiting but it will be eventually rewarding. However if the itch is unbearable - follow your heart.

If it is just to soothe the itch - I can tell you from very costly experiences - "do not do it"; the itch will remain and will only get worse with a little remorse added in there too.

If you can wait a little more - please do and save up a little more and wait for the prices to come down, it will be annoying waiting but it will be eventually rewarding. However if the itch is unbearable - follow your heart.
Thanks for the advice mate! I see many saying that the prices are high now, and I saw someone saying that Denon 550BT is only worth under 33K, (now it’s 40K) why is that? Will the prices fluctuate always like this?

Oh wow! Now it’s on stock, yesterday there was none. Let me contact them and see if they can ship to my place.
Did you buy here? They provide a valid warranty right?

Thanks for the advice mate! I see many saying that the prices are high now, and I saw someone saying that Denon 550BT is only worth under 33K, (now it’s 40K) why is that? Will the prices fluctuate always like this?
Depends - right now there are many issues - primarily being the supply chain which is hindered. Some dealers are able to procure very limited stock at a higher price (due to inflated logistics costs too). Some are just greedy.

I was looking at upgrading my AVR, so I was advised to wait till July end and prices might go back to closer to normal, but there is no guarantee.

Denon 550 BT, you should definitely get around 30K on a good day, 40K is a bit too much for that.

Price once hiked it stays that way. I highly doubt these greedy dealers and distributors will ever reduce the prices. Only thing we can expect once situation calms down is no frequent hikes and better discounts.

Price once hiked it stays that way. I highly doubt these greedy dealers and distributors will ever reduce the prices. Only thing we can expect once situation calms down is no frequent hikes and better discounts.
Depends - right now there are many issues - primarily being the supply chain which is hindered. Some dealers are able to procure very limited stock at a higher price (due to inflated logistics costs too). Some are just greedy.

I was looking at upgrading my AVR, so I was advised to wait till July end and prices might go back to closer to normal, but there is no guarantee.

Denon 550 BT, you should definitely get around 30K on a good day, 40K is a bit too much for that.

Yeah....Just contacted the Audiomaxx guys, It looks like the guy doesn't want me to buy anything from him! When I asked for HTR - 3072, he immediately says 'No..Not available'. And then I myself asked whether anyother receivers are available in that range, he said 'No', and then I asked if there are any discounts or offers applicable for other models, he said 'No Nothing'. He doesn't care a bit.
Yesterday I visited a local dealer, when I inquired about Denon 550BT he said that it is a higher end model costing 47K and he will be willing to give me a 250BT for 40K. I was laughing inside and never wanted to visit that place again.

Yeah....Just contacted the Audiomaxx guys, It looks like the guy doesn't want me to buy anything from him! When I asked for HTR - 3072, he immediately says 'No..Not available'. And then I myself asked whether anyother receivers are available in that range, he said 'No', and then I asked if there are any discounts or offers applicable for other models, he said 'No Nothing'. He doesn't care a bit.
Yesterday I visited a local dealer, when I inquired about Denon 550BT he said that it is a higher end model costing 47K and he will be willing to give me a 250BT for 40K. I was laughing inside and never wanted to visit that place again.
I checked with the guy from whom I have got my entire HT system. He quoted 32K for Denon 250BT.

Hello Gururaj,
I would suggest you to wait for a while and keep an eye on the sales section...You might get a better deal...Make sure to maintain due diligence before buying used products..All the best for your search!!

Hi there

Yes I considered buying used gears. I’m from Tamilnadu, so I’m looking for any deals near my city (Coimbatore). I have no experience buying used electronics online, any tips for me from the experts here?

For now, I decided to go with a 2.0 setup and upgrade on the way. I’m looking for a AVR and a pair of bookshelf speakers
Please get in touch with @sriram_shol he is from CBE can give some insight on HT and places to audition in CBE

"multichannel sound processor along with multichannel or mono block power amps" - How much do these cost approximately? Any links to share?

Also, please elaborate as much as you can on these. Many like me aren't aware of these much and always long for theatre-like punch.

Thanks !

Last edited:
Imo, these kind of dealers shouldn’t exist in the first place. If they cannot cater to genuine buyers, it is better to shut down.

Hello guys,

I am Guru. It’s been a childhood dream for me to watch movies in my home with all those sound effects that are in a theatre. I think now I am ready to set up my first ever home theatre. At the beginning, I thought that with a budget of INR 50K, I can build a great sound system. There were a lot of 5.1 home theatre package systems and Dolby atmos sound bars and even many YouTube reviewers claimed to get theatrical sound effects with those. I was not satisfied with those, I will never ever believe that having one single sound bar can give 7 channel effect or a surround effect. So I further researched about sound systems and then I went into the world of AV receivers, pre outs, bookshelf speakers, towers, impedance, watts etc…so after a lot of YouTube, Forums and so on, I have decided to build my theatre set up from a 2.0 set up and add speakers and components as I go on.

I need your help in choosing the right AV receiver and speakers. The space I’m setting this up is my living room – 14*14 ft. It’s going to be only a 5.1/5.2 setup for another 5 or 10 years, my main way of content consumption will be from streaming services such as Netflix, Prime video etc.

Help me find a decent AV receiver – I have shortlisted Yamaha HTR 3072/ Pioneer VSX 534 / Denon AVR X250BT

Regarding speakers, I shortlisted Micca MB42X for now and I planned to move them to the rear once I upgrade my LCR speakers in the near future. The impedence of the Micca speakers are rated 4 – 8 ohms and the power output is 70W, which AV receiver mentioned above is best suited for that?

If you have any other suggestion for AV receivers or speakers or the setup, they are most welcome. Help me out.

Thanks

Guru
Just in case you are ok to consider a pre-loved setup, I am selling my entire setup - it has the following:
Denon X2200H AVR
Tannoy HTS101 (5.1ch)
MA M6 (FS) Speakers (for stereo setup and/or 7.1 surround setup)
Sony TC-WE405 Cassette Deck
Marantz UD5005 3D BD (Reg A) player
Acer H5360 Projector with Optoma 3D-XL
GrandView 8' X 6' screen

If interested, connect with me (mobile: 9845348102).

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back