help neede for 2.1 speaker system

viki_v2

hello friends,
trying to make a 2.1 channel speaker system , can any body help in finding a proper amp and speakers

Seriously Viki...

Get a PC, Asus Soundcard and Audioengine A5 speakers. You'll be all set to enjoy great music for a long, long time.

trying to make a 2.1 channel speaker system , can any body help in finding a proper amp and speakers

Moser, I think what Vicki meant was a 2.1 system consisting of amps, speakers and accessories.

Vicki, can you mention your budget, and what kind of music you like? What will be your source - CDP or DVD Player? Will this be purely for music, or will you be using it for movies also?

Cheers

Moser, I think what Vicki meant was a 2.1 system consisting of amps, speakers and accessories.

Got that sir. I assumed it was only for music and hence recommendation for a PC based system. Costs would be same or even cheaper too and performance a lot better.

moserw

you really believe in the PC audioengine 5 combo huh?

you realy think its good enough to stack up against the regualr NAD/marantz - warfedale/PSB/MA etc combos ?

Is the sq from trh audioengines really so good

Last edited:
moserw

you really believe in the PC audioengine 5 combo huh?

you realy think its good enough to stack up against the regualr NAD/marantz - warfedale/PSB/ etc combos ?

Is the sq from trh audioengines really so good

The Audioengines cost Rs. 20K. They will beat most (maybe all) speakers that cost Rs. 20K. For true audiophile SQ you'll have to invest a lot more in say something like the AVI ADM9.1 that I've gone with. But yes at their price point the Audioengines are unbeatable. You will hear new sounds in them, that much I can guarantee. Put in great content like FLAC/WAV rips and an Asus soundcard and you'll not go wrong.

The Audioengines cost Rs. 20K. They will beat most (maybe all) speakers that cost Rs. 20K. For true audiophile SQ you'll have to invest a lot more in say something like the AVI ADM9.1 that I've gone with. But yes at their price point the Audioengines are unbeatable. You will hear new sounds in them, that much I can guarantee. Put in great content like FLAC/WAV rips and an Asus soundcard and you'll not go wrong.

hmmm
this has got me intrigued
i must go and audition them now!

im quite surprised that audioengines A5 costing 20k with and internal amp insde them would be able to beat a 20kspeaker 20k amp ( total 40k) combo.
Why should anyone buy warfedales NAD's marantz etc now?

why are people spending 40-50k on their amps speakers cables when these would be easier to purchase use and hear?

hmmmmm....

whose giving audioengine A5 audition is mumbai
here i come

Truly they're an amazing product at their price point. I've even configured them as fronts in a HT setup, they're that good. Just Google for their reviews and you'll find tons of reviews about them and all good/superlative reviews. I've not come across any negative reviews about them.

hmmm
this has got me intrigued
i must go and audition them now!

im quite surprised that audioengines A5 costing 20k with and internal amp insde them would be able to beat a 20kspeaker 20k amp ( total 40k) combo.
Why should anyone buy warfedales NAD's marantz etc now?

why are people spending 40-50k on their amps speakers cables when these would be easier to purchase use and hear?

hmmmmm....

whose giving audioengine A5 audition is mumbai
here i come

first of all thanks to all for showing such great intest .
i want to make a 2.1 system my self ,dont want to purchase it.
i read about some 68watt rms amp based on lm3886.
so if any body could help me in making my own 2.1 channel amp and recommend me in using the necessary speakers.
i live in mumbai, so i travel to lamington rd for my electronic needs

first of all thanks to all for showing such great intest .
i want to make a 2.1 system my self ,dont want to purchase it.
i read about some 68watt rms amp based on lm3886.
so if any body could help me in making my own 2.1 channel amp and recommend me in using the necessary speakers.
i live in mumbai, so i travel to lamington rd for my electronic needs

Over to soundsgreat & suri, they're the resident DIY experts. PM them if they're not following this thread, I'm sure they'll help you.

Truly they're an amazing product at their price point. I've even configured them as fronts in a HT setup, they're that good. Just Google for their reviews and you'll find tons of reviews about them and all good/superlative reviews. I've not come across any negative reviews about them.

Moser - I am beginning to think that the Audioengines get such rave reviews since the buying segment / reviewers are all comparing them against computer speakers. True, in that league, they must be class leaders. But have people done a side by side blind comparison against amp+bookshelves costing even twice that much? I doubt it ... i didnt come across such a review.... maybe thats the gap then, eh?
cheers!

Moser - I am beginning to think that the Audioengines get such rave reviews since the buying segment / reviewers are all comparing them against computer speakers. True, in that league, they must be class leaders. But have people done a side by side blind comparison against amp+bookshelves costing even twice that much? I doubt it ... i didnt come across such a review.... maybe thats the gap then, eh?
cheers!

That's why I said in their price segment. BTW there are AVI ADM9.1 powered speakers too i.e. same as Audioengine A5, but only much more expensive costing around 90K. I'm sure not many amp+BS/FS combos will come near it.

BTW the PC is the future. A PC with an Asus soundcard will beat most if not all CD players many times over its budget that much I can assure you of. Mind you this is only the beginning for the PC with specific soundcards being made for music lovers/audiophiles. In a few years time one can only imagine how things will stand.

Let me clarify things here. With the Audioengine A5 you'll hear new sounds and such clarity that most 50K speakers will not come near it. Of course it goes without saying it needs the right content like an Audio CD/FLAC and not MP3s and the right transport like a good CDP or even better a PC with a good soundcard.

Finally, I can say after years of listening to great music that many a times PC products do outperform more traditional products like an amp+speaker combo. For instance I have used both the Altec Lansing MX5021 and the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and the latter has something of a legendary status (at least in online reviews). Both of them will give most non-powered speakers a run for their money and that too for speakers costing many times over and yet both are PC/powered speakers. Anyone who has used either of these speakers will tell you their music absolutely rocked on the PC and that too without the present generation of Asus soundcards. Imagine how they will sound with the present generation of soundcards.

Of course you're the best judge so go and audition them and don't make a decision based on what I or the others on this forum say. We only share our experiences, but it's always with the recommendation to please audition for yourself.

Lets get one thing straight about Audioengines.
Audioengine A5 directly caters to PC user needs.

Whats its USP?
It gives audiophile grade sound quality - given line level stereo/mono inputs.
That means it has an inbuilt amp.

Inbuilt amp + speaker system at 20K.
With added convenience that the net system comprises of ONLY two speakers, and nothing more.

So the first point is taht:
If you wish to compare it to separate amp + speaker config - you must compare it to AMP + Speaker combo < 20K.

That means something like a low powered Norge with Polk/Wharf/Missions.

Second point to be noted is that Audioengines are marketed as Studio monitors. That means they are meant for near-field listening, and are transparent.

Most of the amp + speaker combo are not really meant to be transparent sounding. They all have their quirks and characteristics, that color the sound (some sound bright, some sound warm, some sound forward, some sound dull etc)

Third point to be noted is that most of the Audioengines will be used by PC users, wherein the soundcard river plays a HUGE role in shaping the sound.
I use a humble SB Live! 5.1 sound card with Inspire 5.1 system.

Yesterday out of the blue, I decided to remove the creative drivers, and install kxdriver. There was a dramatic improvement in the sound quality. its sounded more balanced and smooth and music, instead of loud and boomy.

So the comparison on websites will anyway be biased one way or the other.

Hi,

I suppose this was DIY topic, but some were mentioning about purchasing ready ones.

Depending on budget , and components used , can make DIY 5.1ch Amp anywhere from 4k onwards.

I made my STK4392 , 5.1ch amp for 3.5k, (with custom made transformer)
used 3 X STK4392 to get 6 channels...

Any idea where one can audition audioengines in mumbai . Presume soundcards (asus etc) will be available in usual pc accessories shops ...
Thanks

cranky
what DAC are you using?

also
shymal
in south mumbai you can auditon the Audio engines at Pandam india at hammersmith industrial estate. its the place opposite Norge

you can also get a demo in andheri and Bajaoo.com
BAJAO.COM NUMBER IS 09320038513 - MR .ASHITOSH
PLS CONTACT HIM , HE WILL ARRANGE DEMO FOR YOU

and if Mr Amandeep Singh ( distributer of the audioengines here) is kind enough as he were to me you may even get invited to his house in khar.

P>S before anyone asks for my reivews on the audioengines please note that ive still to take up Mr amandeep on his invitation and i will post the results soon on my Noob thread

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back