Help needed for selecting a DVD player for Amp Yamaha RXV 465

kulwhiz

Hi,

Need to buy a DVD player to connect to my Yamaha rxv 465 receiver. Need help in selecting a dvd player.

Requirements:-
1) Budget upto 5000.
2) Should be able to play pirated DVD
3) USB Port
4) Not interested in a Blu-Ray player
5) HDMI output

Specific recommendation would help as i dont have much time when i will be receiving delivery of my receiver.

Rgds

i used a SAMSUNG DVD player earlier - they are well specifed and vfm too and played everything that i fed it. Didnt have any problem for 4-5 yrs. But thats my experience. Good luck.

But both have 2.1 Audio..What will be option for 5.1

What do you mean by 2.1 audio? I don't understand your question. but if you are looking for 5.1 output, you should a digital connection or HDMI. Both will give you full 5.1

Cheers

Doesn't Panasonic make/market a few DVD players in India with bill and warranty?
I'm reluctant to recommend Philips - their chinese made players have a horrendous track record when it comes to reliability.

Doesn't Panasonic make/market a few DVD players in India with bill and warranty?.

Panasonic sells only two players in India - the S2, and the S38.

Unfortunately Panasonic has not been very active in the DVD Player arena in the recent past. A few years ago their S77 and S97 were players to lust after and very difficult to get. They received 94-95% marks in the Secrets DVD Benchmark. Panasonic were not able to get the same results with their other models. I don't expect them to make any effort in the DVD Player area anymore with their attention on the Blu-Ray players.

Cheers

Are these models with upscaling capability?

Also, just wanna know how will be the upscaled video PQ compared to normal ones? Is the difference huge?

Are these models with upscaling capability?
Also, just wanna know how will be the upscaled video PQ compared to normal ones? Is the difference huge?

Which brand and model are you talking about? Each player has it's own scaling chip and implementation. Most of the budget players would be somewhere between 60 to 85% in terms of scaling where number of factors such as Chroma, De-Interlacing, Moire are considered.

Most of the budget brands work well with 720P screens. If you have a 42 inch or larger FullHD TV, you should look at something like the Oppo players that had scored a full100% in upscaling tests.

I have tried the Pioneer 220 with full 1080P scaling, and it is quite decent. Pioneer has been using the same Mediatek scaling engine for a long time, and that is the reason I have some confidence in their players. Mediatek, though not very high end, does a decent job in scaling. It has a multi-tap scaler that produces smooth results at essentially any zoom ratio

Cheers

Cheers

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back