help needed for speakers selection

naveen.jagannathan

Hi Guys,

I am naveen from bangalore. I am new to this AV field. I have a living room of 13 by 13 in size. Please suggest the best speakers and amplifiers which can be connected to Phillips DVD player. my budget is a constraint it cannot cross 20K. I wud be mainly listening to hardcore Indian classical and western Jazz. Please help understand the jargons used in this forum. All the AV saints please do help me have a good music system.

Regards
Naveen Jagannathan

20k would be a diffuclt budget for an amp and speakers.

I would look at at least :

Amplifier ( cambridge audio 340SE ) - 19k
Speakers ( wharfedale 9.1 or tannoy F1 ) - 13-15K
Interconnects and Cables - 4-5K

You can however also look at used options for the amp and speakers .
Brands like Marantz,NAD,CA are some of the budget brands that one could be on the lookout for.
Since your requirement is music I have only mentioned 2 channel options. AV recievers as it is I do not like or recommend for music lovers.

you may try powered speakers if you listen from close distance - audioengine a5 or some others. You would just need powered speakers and dvdp and nothing else.

regards

you will require minimum 30k to get a budget pair of decent bookshelves and an integrated amplifer

if budget is 20k fixed there is nothing better than the audioengine A5 ( these are powred speakers ( amp built in)- some say these would even beat a budget combo ( seperate amp and speakers)
the A5's cost around 20k maybe a bit less

hmmm,

it is absolutely right to fix an upper limit but don't ignore any system just because its price tag is significantly less than your limit. for example, i liked Artis s6600R at rs 6200,very much( a 5.1 computer speaker system), i upgraded just because the volume was low for DVDs. otherwise it was a very good system. so listen to everything that's within your budget, right from Rs 5000 upwards. Norge is a good choice for amps and you may try DIY way for speakers. it is fun. Read about open baffles, horns, voigt pipes, Linkwitz lab etc.

I can never call NAD/Marantz as a budget brand.i may be wrong but somehow i feel that the lower end products from these famous brands may not be up to the mark and you pay just for the name.

happy hunting.

i believe that there is always some juice you can get at any price .. esp if you what you want. Stick to stereo if music is your need. Just to float a few names, you can audition Cambridge Audio S30, mission M31i or MS 902i. .. all under 11K.
you can check out Norge systems for budget options(did i read their new BS being out). As read on other posts, Norge 2060 seems to match well with WF 9.1. This combo should fit in your budget.
For IC and cables, don't spend over 4-5% of your net budget.

Hi Guys,

I am naveen from bangalore. I am new to this AV field. I have a living room of 13 by 13 in size. Please suggest the best speakers and amplifiers which can be connected to Phillips DVD player. my budget is a constraint it cannot cross 20K. I wud be mainly listening to hardcore Indian classical and western Jazz. Please help understand the jargons used in this forum. All the AV saints please do help me have a good music system.

Regards
Naveen Jagannathan

You listen to hardcore Indian Classical and Western Jazz and that too via a budget Philips DVDP? Even a digital connection from the Philips ain't going to cut it buddy. At 20K highly unlikely you'll find anything for a stereo setup. Do check out the local Indian brands like Norge, quite well rated here on the forum.

I'm just wondering how do you source the Indian Classical and Western Jazz. If you do purchase the CDs then you should save up some money and give the CDs a good setup like a CDP and stereo amp/speakers etc. For such music you'll need a really good setup for the music to shine through. For local Hindi movie soundtracks etc. any stuff will do, but not for Indian and Western classical music. I'm not too sure about how they will sound on Norge too. I'm not too much into classical music myself but others on this forum who are into it should share their setup.

IMHO you're better off having a long term plan and building/acquiring in parts based on your budget. Don't waste 20K on something that will not give any good SQ and not give you any pleasure. Rather invest the 20K in building something that will satisfy you and give great output for Indian and Western classical music.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back