Help Needed - NAD D 3020

rcathik

Hi Everybody,

After lot of consideration - I have selected NAD 3020 as my Amplifier. I did see it in action with KEF Q300 ( I kind of liked it - I auditioned with Adele & Franz Ferdinand ), but I am not sure if the same can be used for bigger speakers ( I am fairly new to Audiophile quality sounds :p ).

Thanks in Advance,
K

Hi

Which are these Bigger speakers you are referring to? Model ? Brand?

Based on specs of NAD and speakers, you will know if the same can be driven

Hi

Which are these Bigger speakers you are referring to? Model ? Brand?

Based on specs of NAD and speakers, you will know if the same can be driven

Thanks efernand.

I am looking to drive KEF Q700 with NAD 3020

Basically - I am trying to see if NAD can be used in future too.

Thanks.
K

Last edited:
Traditionally NAD amps have a rep for punching above their weight (read price), but this model is different, its a digital amplifier. In all probability given the specs of the speaker (89db) and amp power (30 watts) you should be fine. It is likely however that a simpler two way design instead of a two and half way design will provide a cleaner more controlled and coherent output. This would be evident at low volumes as well as higher volumes. Having said that however, why dont you try to listen to the combination and decide.

I would suggest you pair the amp with floor standers and hear. I had heard the amp paired with Dali FS. It was struggling to go loud. Finally I settled for the Rotel RA 10.

Hi Everybody,

After lot of consideration - I have selected NAD 3020 as my Amplifier. I did see it in action with KEF Q300 ( I kind of liked it - I auditioned with Adele & Franz Ferdinand ), but I am not sure if the same can be used for bigger speakers ( I am fairly new to Audiophile quality sounds :p ).

Thanks in Advance,
K

Could you provide the contact and address info of the showroom where you auditioned the NAD? Thanks!

I would suggest you pair the amp with floor standers and hear. I had heard the amp paired with Dali FS. It was struggling to go loud. Finally I settled for the Rotel RA 10.

That's true - I felt the same, but since I am more of a quiet listener - I just thought it might be ok.

Thanks,
K

If i were you, i would throw more money at bigger speakers and get a cheaper amp.

while the NAD is good, I think spending around 1/3 of your budget for your amp is a bit too much - check out the T amp thread, and consider a TPA3116 amp. its cheap enough that you can buy it just to try it out! try demoing the KEF's with them, and you might be pleasantly surprised.

While NAD might have been the original giant killer, it's just another hi fi brand now, and these chinese amps are the real giant killers these days!

I used my Kef Q300 with NAD320BEE first and was fully impressed with it , until I caught hold of NAD326BEE and used it Side by Side 320 and found 326 pumping more power and not beating sweat even till top volume , till my room chamber gain was saturated for the setup.

I found that 320 is adequately powered to drive the BS Q300 but would surely struggle with FS. If you want to be future upgrade proof , go straight for NAD 356BEE. Or Rotel RA10 has a different sound signature and if you are loving NAD, you might find Rotel a tad bright and fatiguing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If i were you, i would throw more money at bigger speakers and get a cheaper amp.

while the NAD is good, I think spending around 1/3 of your budget for your amp is a bit too much - check out the T amp thread, and consider a TPA3116 amp. its cheap enough that you can buy it just to try it out! try demoing the KEF's with them, and you might be pleasantly surprised.

While NAD might have been the original giant killer, it's just another hi fi brand now, and these chinese amps are the real giant killers these days!

Really ? What are you doing in Audiophile group ? To set record straight I have been building Audio amps since class 6th - right from PCB till final wiring and assembly. First amps being TBA820 , 2030 , 1185 and the purely 2030 Transistor based and lastly MOSFET based Amps when I had to ditch the hobby for IIT Jee.

So coming back to your comment that spending half your budget in Amp is foolishness , looks like you are not aware of Weakest Chain Theory. Leave Amp, even if your Preamp or DAC is shitty, you won't feel the beauty of the costliest drivers your money could buy.

NAD made in China ? Since when ? Mine is Made in Canada. Even if now, All the iPhones and close competition are Made in China , designed in USA, EU etc. The legendary BEE series are designed meticulously Bjrn Erik Edvardsen, who is like Bose of Solid State Amp designs , sans the over-preprocessing.

Try to design and build and Amp and compare to most cheap but famous design , and know how such things make the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really ? What are you doing in Audiophile group ?
as my signature says, trying to prevent people from spending unnecessary money on audio equipment, but apparently failing.
To set record straight I have been building Audio amps since class 6th - right from PCB till final wiring and assembly. First amps being TBA820 , 2030 , 1185 and the purely 2030 Transistor based and lastly MOSFET based Amps when I had to ditch the hobby for IIT Jee.
I'm not denying your experience or your credentials, all I was asking you was to try out the new stuff, but hey, if you're adamant, hey, it's your money.
So coming back to your comment that spending half your budget in Amp is foolishness , looks like you are not aware of Weakest Chain Theory. Leave Amp, even if your Preamp or DAC is shitty, you won't feel the beauty of the costliest drivers your money could buy.
I'm well aware of it, - another FM has posted a detailed response for this, so I'll save myself the trouble - he has a kef300 btw, so I think his opinion is relevant
http://www.hifivision.com/dac/64783-high-end-dacs-worth.html#post714071

NAD made in China ? Since when ? Mine is Made in Canada. Even if now, All the iPhones and close competition are Made in China , designed in USA, EU etc. The legendary BEE series are designed meticulously Bjrn Erik Edvardsen, who is like Bose of Solid State Amp designs , sans the over-preprocessing.
I think Mr Edvardsen would be insulted by the bose comparison!
PS: I own one of his Original Series 20 3020 amps, and it was made in taiwan, which i believe is in china. Honestly they did not sound astoundingly better than an STK IC based Sony reciever I had, and the TPA3116 amp came pretty close. The TPA 3116 + my B&W floorstanders would better than the NAD 3020 driving a pair of correspondingly cheaper speakers.
Try to design and build and Amp and compare to most cheap but famous design , and know how such things make the difference
I am not competent enough to design an amp by myself, but having built a few, i think i am qualified to know. Perhaps my ears are too wooden?

Last edited:
....... made in taiwan, which i believe is in china. ............

Hmm...:) Too much audio at the expense of other things ! Taiwan is a self ruled country mostly made up of Chinese who fled from mainland China to an island we call Taiwan.It's just off the Chinese coastline. They are not part of China who is trying very hard to make it part of mainland China. Taiwan's greatest ally of course is the USA.
So don't mix up independent Taiwan with Mainland China. Taiwan was materially developed far earlier than mainland China. China was also trying to rope in Singapore saying that the majority are Chinese. But that didn't and won't work !:)

Thanks Greenhorn ! Will check that out.

Regards
K

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back