Help needed:not getting expected sound

pvel07

Hello friends and FMs,

Please help me to get the better sound from my 5.1 setup.

Recently i bought used Wharfedle diamond 9.5 FS, diamond 9 center, wfs surround and power cube 12+ sub.

I powered with my existing denon x1100w receiver and everything is working ok. But I am gettting the chill, power and the punch. It's sounding very flat and if I increase the speaker levels the sound becoming bummy. My room size is 22x10 feet and listening distance 9 feet. Source as of now dell laptop connect to receiver via hdmi.

It was sounding excellent when powered with Yamaha 1500 receiver at the seller place.

I am now thinking my receiver is underpowered. Do I need to change receiver to get more power and punch from the speakers.

I am having sleepless night thinking of how to get the desired output and playing with settings.

The current crossover setting is

Center 110
Front 60
Sub 80

Thanks in advance.

Seller place is acoustically treated may be.!!!
Try re postioning the SUB since u mentioned boominess.
Yamaha 1500 !!!??
i never hear that model is it old model?
I never come across this new model.
Is it the old model RX-V1500?u are refering?
If yes dont compare with that.IMHO.its more than decade old model during those period no compromise on powersuoply section and components wise(may be tech wise your model is superior not the ayduo quality wise).
Thumb rule check the quality of powersupply and quality for an amp.check the weight of the Amp or AVR.Purely IMHO.Again m not comparing here about Class D.
Out fm can help u on fine tune settings for your AVR

Seems to be the room. Can you post a few pictures of the setup? make sure the speakers are away atleat a foot or above from any walls. Check for subwoofer crawl videos like this and try to replicate it.

I powered with my existing denon x1100w receiver and everything is working ok. But I am gettting the chill, power and the punch. It's sounding very flat and if I increase the speaker levels the sound becoming bummy.

If you have already done the Audyssey calibration, recheck/tweak the speaker settings Large/small & crossover.. Best to set all speakers to small, and crossover of 80hz for all speakers..

Check if Audyssey volume is engaged, disengage that..Also Dynamic EQ, disengaged.. Audyssey curve - Flat / reference.. If by default it was reference, change it to "flat"..

If you haven't done Audyssey calibration, suggest you to do the same..

Seller place is acoustically treated may be.!!!
Try re postioning the SUB since u mentioned boominess.
Yamaha 1500 !!!??
i never hear that model is it old model?
I never come across this new model.
Is it the old model RX-V1500?u are refering?
If yes dont compare with that.IMHO.its more than decade old model during those period no compromise on powersuoply section and components wise(may be tech wise your model is superior not the ayduo quality wise).
Thumb rule check the quality of powersupply and quality for an amp.check the weight of the Amp or AVR.Purely IMHO.Again m not comparing here about Class D.
Out fm can help u on fine tune settings for your AVR

Thanks, Yes, I am referring the old RX-V1500 only.

Seems to be the room. Can you post a few pictures of the setup? make sure the speakers are away atleat a foot or above from any walls. Check for subwoofer crawl videos like this and try to replicate it.
I will post the pictures today evening.

Hey I dont think the amp is under powered.
I faced exactly same feeling and very very disappointed in the beginning.
I paired a yht196 avr with taga tav606se. (remember, that avr is very basic)
My hall was some 20 x 12, and in addition to that, there is additional open dining area.
I didnt get treble, I didn't get bass. Its all flat. And increasing the sound made it sound bad.
I broke my head with bass and treble settings.

When I bought a PJ, I moved the entire setup to a smaller room and really shocked that the sound quality has a huge improvement.
and when i played high quality mp3 and flac songs, its simply mind blowing.
In my experience, my hall was the culprit. A small closed room was my solution.
May be you can give a try. best of luck.

Hello friends and FMs,

Please help me to get the better sound from my 5.1 setup.

Recently i bought used Wharfedle diamond 9.5 FS, diamond 9 center, wfs surround and power cube 12+ sub.

I powered with my existing denon x1100w receiver and everything is working ok. But I am gettting the chill, power and the punch. It's sounding very flat and if I increase the speaker levels the sound becoming bummy. My room size is 22x10 feet and listening distance 9 feet. Source as of now dell laptop connect to receiver via hdmi.

It was sounding excellent when powered with Yamaha 1500 receiver at the seller place.

I am now thinking my receiver is underpowered. Do I need to change receiver to get more power and punch from the speakers.

I am having sleepless night thinking of how to get the desired output and playing with settings.

The current crossover setting is

Center 110
Front 60
Sub 80

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Run the Audyssey again......

Manually check the settings for the speakers...

Crossover settings:
Fronts = 70hz
Center = 80/90hz
Surrounds = 80/90 hz
Subwoofer = 100 / 90 / 80

Bass Management LFE +main

Try using different sources....it could be a source issue....use a CD or proper Blu Ray disc and check.....dont depend on online content or even a Set top box to provide true dolby surround or DTS.....

If your room has too much furniture around....strategically angel the speakers and place the sub accordingly....

Most important....the speakers if new require a break in time (20 to 40 hours)....if pre owned....need to adjust itself with the avr.....dont jump the gun yet....give it some time.....

If you feel there is no enough power, you can manually adjust the levels for each speaker (make 2db adjustments and check).

If this AVR has an EQ, try adjusting it for each speaker.....painful task...it can accomplish a lot of results.....

Hey I dont think the amp is under powered.
I faced exactly same feeling and very very disappointed in the beginning.
I paired a yht196 avr with taga tav606se. (remember, that avr is very basic)
My hall was some 20 x 12, and in addition to that, there is additional open dining area.
I didnt get treble, I didn't get bass. Its all flat. And increasing the sound made it sound bad.
I broke my head with bass and treble settings.

When I bought a PJ, I moved the entire setup to a smaller room and really shocked that the sound quality has a huge improvement.
and when i played high quality mp3 and flac songs, its simply mind blowing.
In my experience, my hall was the culprit. A small closed room was my solution.
May be you can give a try. best of luck.

Thanks. My hall also has open dining area attached. Sure I will try moving to small room.

Hi

Run the Audyssey again......

Manually check the settings for the speakers...

Crossover settings:
Fronts = 70hz
Center = 80/90hz
Surrounds = 80/90 hz
Subwoofer = 100 / 90 / 80

Bass Management LFE +main

Try using different sources....it could be a source issue....use a CD or proper Blu Ray disc and check.....dont depend on online content or even a Set top box to provide true dolby surround or DTS.....

If your room has too much furniture around....strategically angel the speakers and place the sub accordingly....

Most important....the speakers if new require a break in time (20 to 40 hours)....if pre owned....need to adjust itself with the avr.....dont jump the gun yet....give it some time.....

If you feel there is no enough power, you can manually adjust the levels for each speaker (make 2db adjustments and check).

If this AVR has an EQ, try adjusting it for each speaker.....painful task...it can accomplish a lot of results.....

Thank you. I will try all this .

Hello. attached the Hall picture. I am yet to place the surround speakers. Please suggest if I need to change speaker placements.

Today I tried connecting wharfedale diamond 220 bookshelf speakers instead of the diamond 9.5. It sounded much better, the vocal is very clear now. I am thinking the tower speakers giving more base than the highs. let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_3462[1]-min.JPG
    IMG_3462[1]-min.JPG
    725.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3463[1]-min.JPG
    IMG_3463[1]-min.JPG
    837.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3464[1]-min.JPG
    IMG_3464[1]-min.JPG
    990.4 KB · Views: 50
Other FMs have suggested lots of ideas...looking at your thread and room pics, I would suggest, in addition:

1. Try borrowing a large, thick carpet from a neighbor and put it on the floor in front of your couch and try moving in some more furniture into this room. I see lots of reflective surfaces in your room including that giant marble floor. Some absorbent surfaces might help esp with highs and mids
2. You haven't mentioned your music source...have you tried playing a CD? Does any source sound better or they all sound bad? If the former, then obviously you need to get better quality sources and if the latter, then the answer lies elsewhere

Let us know how it turned out...

Thanks Every one. After trying so many thing the speakers sounded good. However after lot of thoughts, I have decided to replace the receiver. I will post the experience after I paired with new receiver.

its your choice if you want to change the receiver.
But my personal suggestion is .... dont jump in a hurry.
And also share the changes and trails you did. It helps others to learn too ....all the best

Yes, dont change the receiver just yet. You may want to take your receiver to the dealers place And check with the same set of speakers to see if they still sound great.

Your left speaker has the wall right behind it whereas the right speaker has lot of space behind it.
Test with the left speaker outside of the subwoofer so it has open space behind it. This is just for testing

Hi pvel...

From I what I understand you are having less dynamics..ie sounding flat and bass boom at high volumes.

1. First and foremost please set all your speakers to small.
2. Next your bass management to just sub woofer and not sub+ mains.
3. Please select only one cross over frequency for all the speakers. For example when you do the audyseey calibration, if the avr shows the highest crossover for your surround speakers , then feed that same crossover to all your speakers, including your floor standers. Most bass boom happens due to setting different crossovers for different speakers.
4. The lack of dynamics is due to too much intervention from audyssey. There is a 20 USD audyseey app which is controls the marantz and denon avr's EQ. If yours is supported, then buy this app on your phone, and then you can set up to what frequency will audyssey intervene in room correction. Set this frequency to 800hz and see the difference.
5. If your avr does not support external EQ control through the audyseey app, then setup your speakers manually. Take a tape and measure the distance of your speakers from your main listening position. Then download a free sound pressure level app, a basic db level app on your phone. Now run the test tones on each of your speakers , and adjust the db levels till all of them reach 85db at your listening position.

Try point no 4&5 if you want your dynamics back. Almost all avr's intervene in room correction and give a flat sound presentation as a result. All the best :)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back