Help Needed to Setup a Home Theatre

Sorry guys for not replying all these days,

My net was not working ( maybe due to rain ) .

Well to start with i am planning to go for the acoustic treatment first as Vinay suggested. and then the receiver and the speakers . I am looking for a standmounts or satillites with a decent sub. i dont think recliners will fit my room and my budget. and as for the LCD i am planning for a 32 inches,

David.

David,

It is of great joy to be of any assistance to you, but you see my problem is with others who are learning to make a business out of it, and than within no time, they will claim or maybe are already claiming that they are professionals at making home theatre's, these guys are real pain that too half baked.

I think it is the right move to first handle the wiring, acoustic, and other things , about the budget, indeed there is everything available which will fit in your budget, it is just that you have to compromise.

I feel if you are going for a 32 inch lcd, than it is better not to have the tower speakers, go for the stand mounts or rather go for satilites with a decent sub, a good sub will be a very good move.

Please consider to keep aside monies for the cables, and av equipment racks, shelves, etc.

Vinay.

Hello David ,

You can Try Marantz SR 7002 Receivers and DV 6001 DVD Player again from Marantz . When i bought my SA 7001 i just had an audition of these Receivers and it was great sound But as Mr.Vinay Pointed out first the acoutics and then the rest.

tharun

Hello David ,

You can Try Marantz SR 7002 Receivers and DV 6001 DVD Player again from Marantz . When i bought my SA 7001 i just had an audition of these Receivers and it was great sound But as Mr.Vinay Pointed out first the acoutics and then the rest.

tharun

Tharun, are you using your system to watch movies, if yes, then can you please tell me what is your full set up like?

Thank you.

Vinay.

Thanks Tarun , Unleash and Vinay

I am working on the acoustics first . I am unable to decide about the electronics and the speakers at this point of time., one of the friends suggested to go for a Harman Kardon receiver along with JBL and some suggest me Rotel receivers and B&W speakers . i have to wait till my acoustics are finished. i am just sticking the carpets on the walls ( no glass wool or plywoods ) . i am planning to paste some sound diffusers and acoustic pannels , but dont know where to get , Vinay can you please suggest me where to get these?

thanks

David.

Thanks Tarun , Unleash and Vinay

I am working on the acoustics first, i have to wait till my acoustics are finished. i am just sticking the carpets on the walls ( no glass wool or plywoods ) . i am planning to paste some sound diffusers and acoustic pannels , but dont know where to get , Vinay can you please suggest me where to get these?

David.

David,

I think that is the right way to first work on acoustics, then you have to catch up with the wiring, cabling, to work on the concealing area, and a few small things here and there, it will take you quite some time to do this work, it is only after these times you can plan to buy the av items.

I have never heard carpets being stuck on the walls, and i think there is no such fevicol in the market that can hold carpet on the wall, and even if it holds, it is likely to fall out sooner than later, please guide me who has suggested to put carpet on the walls, and in which areas of the walls are you putting the carpet?

I do not know from where one can get the sound diffusers and acoustic panels, one of the place to look from is via yellow pages, and i am sure there will be some members who can put light on this sourcing. I came across a member by the name of summit, he has made a dedicated home theatre, he has done acoustic treatment, please contact him, he could be of help to you for the sourcing.

I have in-direct diffusers and related in the form of several show pieces in my theatre room.

For me to source glass wool, the fabric on the walls, etc, it took a lot of time, at times i got these things, but then they were not in order or not to my satisfaction, etc, so to get the right things i had to have loads of patience, and when i got these items there were several teething problems, again by which my making of the theatre used to get delayed, so moral of the story is that a lot of patience is required, and one can not set a deadline, like in the case of the member glads, he has set a deadline of 8th August, that his home theatre should be ready, i tell you if you want something fully to your satisfaction with loads of planning, then deadline can never give you a good product, especially with so many sharks around to misguide you, in the form of dealers, advice rs, the so called half baked professionals of making a home theatre.

For whatever acoustics work you get done, please be sure that it is in the right direction, at least 3 learned people should be able to confirm that you are on the right track.

With the acoustic work you have to remember that there has to be minimum glass in the room, there should be soft items in the room, hard items as less as possible, the flooring should have carpet wall to wall, or at least in front of the main speakers, if there are sliding windows, use curtains which are at least double thicker to the normal thickness of the curtains, and not to forget the speakers should be able to live up to your room size, otherwise there could be trouble in the waiting, at the end of the day, i have seen however good you make your theatre, if you run wrong in some of the lane, than it could spell trouble, so there has to be a lot of tight rope walking.

As and when if i can be of any assistance to you, please do let me know.

Vinay.

Last edited:
Some suggestions / questions.

1) Instead of putting carpets, can you use panels made of plywood and layered with foam and upholstery ? This should also act as sound absorbers.

2) I've heard of 'blackout' curtains, which are used as additional curtains behind the regular drapes /curtains to absorb sound and cut light out. You may want to see these as well, since curtains are easy to putup and remove.

3) DIY Home Theater Design - Home Theater for the Do-It-Yourselfer has some good tips.

cheers!
Srinivas

Some suggestions / questions.

1) Instead of putting carpets, can you use panels made of plywood and layered with foam and upholstery ? This should also act as sound absorbers.

2) I've heard of 'blackout' curtains, which are used as additional curtains behind the regular drapes /curtains to absorb sound and cut light out. You may want to see these as well, since curtains are easy to putup and remove.

3) DIY Home Theater Design - Home Theater for the Do-It-Yourselfer has some good tips.

cheers!
Srinivas

I think the flooring requires it's absorption, etc, so carpet for sure is required.

The panels which you are talking about, are meant for the walls right? I have used on my theatre walls, glass wool, ply wood, foam, and then the fabric.

There are imported curtains available on one side of fabric the colour is black and on the other side of the fabric, there are the assorted colours, and the thickness of this curtain fabric is higher than the normal fabric curtain, these curtains are sold as acoustic curtains - home theatre curtains.

I had a huge sliding window, the breadth was say around 6/7feet, and the height was say around 4/5 feet, with a beautiful view outside, i got this concealed with brick and cement, so now i have a flat wall, this has enhanced the beauty of my dedicated theatre room.

Vinay.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back