Help needed with Metrum Ambre

rikhav

Hi,
Need help from users of Metrum Ambre.
Helping a friend to bring it up and running.

The OS got corrupted for some reason and after installing ropieee and picore we are getting stuck at what to chose for audio devices.

So wanted to know from users what is chosen for them or how to enable i2s audio.

The Ambre has a special hat connected to the raspberry Pi via i2s and enables it to output digitally to dac by i2s ethernet or Bnc.

Have also written to Metrum for the link of the ropieee image which works with Ambre but as usual the response is slow and I don't see them replying soon, so if any existing Ambre user can help it will be great.

One advise I will like to give to existing users is to make a backup image of the sd card so you can restore it without fuss if the sd card gets corrupted for any reason.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20210315-WA0025.jpg
    IMG-20210315-WA0025.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 26
No help from Metrum.
Since five days trying to reach them by email and twitter but there is no reply.

And this is just for the download link which God knows why they can't post it on their website.

How much ever good your products are , If you don't have time to reply to your customers then the company is no good.

In my friends case they just have to send a link, that's it.

Writing to Mr.Cees at Sonet (his new venture) did get the ball rolling.
Although Metrum staff do claim that they had written to my friend but maybe the email was not received.

Long story short, it took two minutes to install the custom image of ropieee and everything started working as it should.

Will keep the image downloaded for future use as the SD card can get corrupted anytime.

Will advice other users to do the same.

This for any Metrum Ambre user

If for any reason your software gets corrupted, I have the image downloaded with me and will share with you.

So you don't need to wait till Metrum responds to your emails.

Writing to Mr.Cees at Sonet (his new venture) did get the ball rolling.
Although Metrum staff do claim that they had written to my friend but maybe the email was not received.
Mr Cees is a great person. He really backs his products. I too had similar pleasant experience a year ago when my Metrum Adagio had blow fuse.

Once upon a time I was interested in Ambre and one of my friend sent me the following link. See if this can be useful to you.

Mr Cees is a great person. He really backs his products. I too had similar pleasant experience a year ago when my Metrum Adagio had blow fuse.

Once upon a time I was interested in Ambre and one of my friend sent me the following link. See if this can be useful to you.

Thanks for your reply
Issue has been resolved and Ambre is working perfectly now.
Someone from. Mr. Cees office sent the link with new image.

Amber does not belong to me but no other OS would work as only the one provided by metrum recognises the hat board

Amber does not belong to me but no other OS would work as only the one provided by metrum recognises the hat board
I've tried around 5-6 Linux OS on metrum ambre. To me Gentooplayer & audiolinux sounds the best. Stock firmware is not good for downstream dacs.

If for any reason your software gets corrupted, I have the image downloaded with me and will share with you.

Hello I will be more than glad if you help and send me the metrum amber roon image to download . best

I've tried around 5-6 Linux OS on metrum ambre. To me Gentooplayer & audiolinux sounds the best. Stock firmware is not good for downstream dacs.
Hello Lithiumnk,

I understand you tried a number of different Linux-OS on your Ambre. I tried Moode-player yesterday . Before i could get the OS to work properly, i aborted the installation, because of the blue led on the front of the Ambre. It kept blinking…and blinking…and blinking, until it drove me nuts.
So i switched back to the original micro-sd Ropieee image that came with the Ambre.
Do you, or does anyone here for that matter, have any idea how to install another Linux player on the Ambre without the blinking blue led ?

I am thinking about installing Gentooplayer on my Ambre, but could use some help here. Thanks very much in advance,

Pat.

Hello Lithiumnk,

I understand you tried a number of different Linux-OS on your Ambre. I tried Moode-player yesterday . Before i could get the OS to work properly, i aborted the installation, because of the blue led on the front of the Ambre. It kept blinking…and blinking…and blinking, until it drove me nuts.
So i switched back to the original micro-sd Ropieee image that came with the Ambre.
Do you, or does anyone here for that matter, have any idea how to install another Linux player on the Ambre without the blinking blue led ?

I am thinking about installing Gentooplayer on my Ambre, but could use some help here. Thanks very much in advance,

Pat.
I installed volumio on my ambre and The blue light keeps blinking. The green light, however, turns on only whenmusic is streamed to the ambre. I read on another forum (forget which one) that the blue light only works for ropiee.

Hello Zeta148,
Thank you for your reply,
Do you think that it would also work for Ropieeexl if i installed a new Raspberry pi4 inside the Ambre ?

Hello Zeta148,
Thank you for your reply,
Do you think that it would also work for Ropieeexl if i installed a new Raspberry pi4 inside the Ambre ?
I am not sure about that. Best is to ask lithiumnk

Btw, here is One useful link given to me by another FM:

Hello Lithiumnk,

Pat.
I've applied a very small black tape over the blinking LED.
One user on headfi thread has mentioned how to switch off the blinking blue light using command line.

Don't worry about blinking light. Nothing happens to Ambre. I'm using custom linux distros since 2yrs. No issues till date

Thanks for your reply
Issue has been resolved and Ambre is working perfectly now.
Someone from. Mr. Cees office sent the link with new image.
Hi, can you share that link please ?
I would very much like to have a back-up micro-sd card without having to open up the unit. The holes in the cover don’t match the screw holes very neatly, you see :rolleyes:
thx in advance,
Pat.

Hello,

Could you please help with the link to download the custom OS for Ambre

Hi you will have to PM me your email address so i can share link with you

Ahhh, it seems that I'll have to post 30 or more posts to activate the 'pm' feature on my account

Really sorry but could you please pm me the link, I also encountered the problem and have to rewrite the image

Thank you very very much & have a nice day!

Ahhh, it seems that I'll have to post 30 or more posts to activate the 'pm' feature on my account

Really sorry but could you please pm me the link, I also encountered the problem and have to rewrite the image

Thank you very very much & have a nice day!
Will need your email address to send you the link.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back