Help on voltage transformer

e.anandraj

I have bought a Denon 1911 receiver and Energy classic take 5.1 speakers from US. I am looking for a voltage transformer for the receiver as well as the subwoofer. The back panel on the reveiver as well as the subwoofer says 120V-60HZ. Based on the wattage requirements I am thinking I will buy a 1500W maxine voltage trasfomer. I need help on the things I should take care of. Does the 'Hz' matter? what are the things I should make sure the transformer has. Can I have an external fuse circuit or a 120 V voltage stabilizer just for safety? Can you suggest me options?

Thanks

Please check the wattage on the Energy subwoofer and Denon 1911...1500 watts is too large...the subwoofer usually is 150 Watts and receiver some where in 250-500 Watt...Please check the max current and voltage...(V*I is your watts)

I have bought a Denon 1911 receiver and Energy classic take 5.1 speakers from US. I am looking for a voltage transformer for the receiver as well as the subwoofer. The back panel on the reveiver as well as the subwoofer says 120V-60HZ. Based on the wattage requirements I am thinking I will buy a 1500W maxine voltage trasfomer. I need help on the things I should take care of. Does the 'Hz' matter? what are the things I should make sure the transformer has. Can I have an external fuse circuit or a 120 V voltage stabilizer just for safety? Can you suggest me options?

Thanks

Your Denon AVR consumes 460 watts. Roughly a latitude of 2-times should be allowed otherwise power starvation could occur. So its approx. 900 watts. The Energy system is another 250 watts so that translates to 500.

900 + 500 = 1400 watts.

1. I would recommend a 2kVA rating step-down transformer.

2. If any of the internal transformers are purely country specific, i.e. only 60Hz and NOT 50/60Hz, then the transformer would heat up as it will receive 10 cycles short all the time. Heat would then affect the lamination and thus it would start to hum. Eventually, it dies !!

Thanks for your inputs. I highly appreciate it.

The back panel of both the receiver and sub says 60Hz. I cant find a 50/60 Hz. Are you suggesting that I open up the panel and see the ratings of the transfomer inside?

If it is 60Hz on the transformer inside, do I have any options, like a frequency converter? Or does the step down transformer do the frequency conversion?

Thanks for your inputs. I highly appreciate it.

The back panel of both the receiver and sub says 60Hz. I cant find a 50/60 Hz. Are you suggesting that I open up the panel and see the ratings of the transfomer inside?

If it is 60Hz on the transformer inside, do I have any options, like a frequency converter? Or does the step down transformer do the frequency conversion?

Freq converters are also "power re-generators" i.e. they'll re-manufacture the AC sinusoidal waveform. Such equip costs big $$$ and can be to the tune of few times the cost of your audio equip. :eek:

This is the reason why audio manufacturers have the same model for different regions of the globe with power requirements addressed to that region & you're expected to procure those that apply ONLY to your region.

I opened up both the receiver and the subwoofer. It does not have Hz mentioned on it. Can I change the transformer which accepts 240V and gives the required output?

I just wanted to use it instead of keeping it aside. How long the transformer might work before it fails of over heating? Can I use it for a year? Can I use it till it fails? Will it affect other components when it fails?

Many forum members are using avrs imported from the US with step down transformer. Do not take the difference in frequency and heating problem as great issues. Get a good step down transformer. Get 1.5KVA minimum. Because in action packed sequence, your avr and sub may draw much higher current. A bigger transformer can handle such instant current requirement. As Maxine trasnformers have shutdown facility when voltage exceeds 120V high voltage should not be a problem.

the main issue in operating a 60hz designed power supply transformer in india is the core saturation.in case it is designed close to saturation level for 60hz itself, the core will saturate when you apply same voltage at 50hz, because the flux increase by 20% at 50hz. to mitigate this reduce the 50hz input voltage to compensate for the excess flux

so select a stepdown transformer with taps so that you can select a 100V output which is approximately 20% less of 120/60hz

note that this will depend on how the engineer who designed the AVR, designed its power transformer, if there is a margin for 20% extra flux it can withstand 120V 50z

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back