HELP!!! - Optoma HD20 Vertical lines

Hmm considering the cost of the DMD chip I would say just get a new one if you can get it from the US... Also I am assuming you might have used the bulb quite a bit so in sometime you might need to get the bulb replaced which is another 12-15k expense... Also going in for a new projector gives you some options to choose from (ie if you wanna upgrade to a 1080p projector)... BTW how long did this HD66 last you??? If it was less than 2 yrs(which I am assuming) then you might be better off buying a projector here in India with warranty...Epson gives 2 yrs warranty in India...

Bulb used for 700 hours.
I am using a 92 inch screen and I heard there isnt much difference between 720p and 1080p.
This lasted from November 2010 to Jan 2012 (13+ months).
In India with warranty - I see that the prices in India are quite high so :(

Hi All,

Just wanted to provide a possible solution to this problem...

I bought an Optoma HD20 about a year ago (refurbed). The bulb obviously wasn't new because it went after 700 hours or so. I replaced the bulb tonight, but when I turned it on there were double white vertical lines running up and down the screen... When I tried pushing on the top, they would sometimes change a little bit, but wouldn't go away. I tried fiddling with it for an hour and then some, but nothing changed. Since pushing on the top seemed to affect it, I pulled removed the top to take a look and what I was pushing on.

The board that was under where i was pushing has a metal cover over it and appeared to be the main board. I unplugged the connectors from the board and removed the numerous screws. The board also houses the video connectors and such on the back, and the while plastic panel comes out with it. I pulled the board straight up slowly and removed it. On the bottom of the board is a long slide on connector with many pins, like you'd see on a nintendo or sega genesis cartridge.

I figured if I was pushing on the top, I would have been putting pressure downwards on this connector when I was pushing on the top, so I took a qtip and some isopropyl alcohol and cleaned the metal leads on it. Then I made sure there was no dust or fibers on the connector, seated the board back in place and put it all back together...

Viola! No more lines, just a nice clean image! I'm assuming this fix won't work for everyone, say if the board itself has a failure, but the PJ is working flawlessly now. I was trying to get it to work for at least an hour previously with the only changes being mostly for the worse (more lines that would get better if I pushed on the top sometimes), but now I've been running it for several hours with no signs of trouble.

If you're not comfortable pulling apart electronic devices, I wouldn't recommend doing this. It's not complicated, but there are things that I can see would break if you put too much force on them. I also strongly recommend avoiding touching components on the board and making sure you're grounded. Not too much chance for trouble if you're careful, but a grounding strap wouldn't be a bad idea. Wouldn't want to turn a possible free fix into a non warranty repair bill!

Anyhow, just giving a possible solution to some people's problems. Good luck!

-Gary

Thanks Lemech that worked!! I was in the same position as you buying a refurb and out of warranty. I just did the same thing as you now I need to find a home for all these screws.

Hi guys...
I might be replying to an old post however I felt that my reply could help some one...
I have Optoma hd 33 projector and had the same issue of vertical white and black lines which would come and go...I tried all the the suggestions of pressing . However it did not work. Then I took it to a service center for repair in Ahmedabad, India. I was charged 4000 Rs. and I was informed that the DLP had allignment issues. It just took 2 hours to repair. So I suggest that you give the projector for repair and ask for estimate and then get it repaired. The name of the company is Shah & co. The contact number is +91-9825289833 and the company website is SHAH & CO.DIST.PVT. LTD

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back