[help] Ported vs Sealed ? (Peerless Fabrikkerne, 4" driver)

Hello everyone, new user here :)

Please excuse my beginner knowledge in this zone.

What began as upgrading a 23 year-old set of JVC MX-S300 stereo into a Bluetooth system turned into a desire to build my own set of speakers. I am still surprised with this old system sounding just as amazing as it did years ago. Soon I began reading up on drivers types, driver parameters, crossovers, cabinet design, etc... and the more I read, the more confused I got .

Introduction aside, I obtained a pair of 'woofers' and tweeters manufactured by Peerless Fabrikkerne. (got it via eightaudio.in)

Primary aim of this project is to build a budget speaker system that sounds decent at medium hearing levels (very occasionally boost the volume). I plan to use it with my desktop, and at times in the living room in case of small/quiet parties. Secondary aim is to make the speaker have a small footprint/unobtrusive if possible. (like the mini-tower or tower designs). I don't mind a bit of challenge in building my first speaker.

Basically, I want to design a 2 way stereo system using a TDA7492P 25W+25W board with Bluetooth receiver, using the combination below -

Peerless Fabrikkerne 4" KO100 WFR (8 ohms)
Peerless Fabrikkerne 1/2" Polycarbonate Tweeter DW 69 (8 ohms)
with a crossover at 4000 Hz.

Found two ways of choosing the 'appropriate' enclosure : looking at EBP or Qts. I used the values from the drivers manual and obtained an EBP of 150, which implies ported. But a Qts of 0.531 says sealed. Ofcourse, these rules are non-binding apparently, but given how notorious speaker building is known for settling for the right compromises, I don't know how to proceed. I referred diyaudioandvideo's online calculators as well.

Regarding woofer parameters, the specifications detail a 4 ohm driver, I assumed a similar ratio to be carried over to the 8 ohm, thus the new dc resistance is put as 6.4 ohm. I am ball-parking with voice coil inductance value. Calculated Xmax comes around 0.75mm, although I must say that it seems suspicious to me as I tested the speakers bare for an hour or so at medium-high listening levels in a small room, and the cones seemed to bounce a lot more than that visually.

Another problem I face is the apparent discrepancies in driver parameters. I am attaching the spec sheets of the drivers I found online.

Below is a website information regarding the speaker. (same details on eightaudio.in as well)
Peerless Fabrikkerne (I) Ltd - KO100 - 4" Coated Paper Cone Woofer

I don't understand how Vas jumped from 4.1 litres to 11.3 litres.

Any guidance from people who have used these?

Attachments

• tw spex.jpg
    tw spex.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 83
  • wr spex.jpg
    wr spex.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 83
It seems that the two attachments in the above post just carried over a low resolution thumbnail.

In any case, these are the parameters from the manual.

Driver: Peerless Fabrikkerne 4" Bass Midrange KO100WFR

Primary Data:
  • Normal Impedance Z = 4 ohm
  • Resonance Frequency Fs = 90 Hz
  • Nominal Power P = 45 W
  • Sensitivity E = 89 dB

Mechanical Data:
  • Voice coil diameter = 25 mm
  • Voice coil height = 6.54 mm
  • Air gap = 5 mm
  • Magnet weight = 254 grams
  • Magnet dimension = 72 mm x15 mm

Thiele Small Parameters
  • DC Resistance (Re) = 3.4 ohms
  • Compliance (Cms) = 695 m/N
  • Moving Mass (Mms) = 4.26 g
  • Mechanical Q (Qms) = 4.6
  • Electrical Q (Qes) = 0.6
  • Total Q (Qts) = 0.5
  • Equivalent Air Volume (Vas) = 4.1 Litres
  • Piston Area (S) = 65.05 sq cm
  • Force Factor (Bl) = 3.75 N/A

Also, if you can make out from the 2nd thumbnail from the above post, this driver is pretty much a full range driver. The driver with me is the 8 ohm version, so if I am not wrong, I expect Q values to vary a bit. However, I still have my doubts over the equivalent air volume (Vas) as that has a hand in deciding the final volume for the enclosure.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back