Help Regarding HT

hey venkat, i should apologise...I actually missed your point on bi-amping. If the 506 allows you to bi-amp using the rear-surround channels, then I suppose abhilash can give it a try...although the 406 may not be capable of it. I am still waiting for info from my friend who owns the 406, and I will post that as soon as i get it.

Abhilash:

Psychotropic, I am sorry. I should not have mentioned the bi-amping.

Cheers

Hi friends,

I have purchased Onkyo TX SR 506 (Golden color) from Reliance Digital, Hyderabad on saturday and will receive it on wednesday (by Gati) here at Ranchi. I am very much grateful to all the members of the firum for thier help.

Will buy Jamo 406 HCS 1 package on thursday but please mention some good brands or something about the cables to connect the speakers to the AVR and as I am having Samsung LCD TV 26" (Provide more details later on) what other connecting cables will be rquired?

Abhilash

Thank you again venkat, its just you people who helped me a lot otherwise it was not easy to make a decision.

Your help will be requirted while configuring the system thursday onwards.
abhilash

will jamo 406 HCS1 will work good enough with Onkyo-506 or not? I could not go for Wharfedale or other costly brands.

Which DVD Player within Rs3000-Rs5000 (Samsung/sony/philips) should I take and what are the specs to be considered necessary(with Onkyo-506).
Should the player also be with 7.1 or 5.1 ch output facility?
*Samsung : DVD-1080pk-Rs4900(DVD-1080PK hyper vision - DVD players SAMSUNG
*DVD F1080 rS 5900/-: DVD-F1080 hyper vision - DVD players SAMSUNG
Player with HDMI connection will be better?
Any other?
Abhilash

PQ is something you will have to check personally. Other than that make sure HDMI connectivity is there, USB 2.0 to play movies and clips, and upscaling to 1080p. As long as these are available then its a good buy. Check PQ though carrying your own content on a DVD and a USB stick preferrably. Philips and Sony work very well from my own personal experience with all the bells and whistles even in budget players.

Bought Jamo S406 HCS 1 Package in Rs15750/- at BIG BAZAAR.

Please suggest what connecting formats to be used for:
1. To connect AVR (Onkyo 506)to SAMSUNG LCD TV(2 HDMI +2 component and one digital con. available)
2. Tata Sky set top box (Having analog(red, white, yellow) point only) to AVR

Plan to connect dvd player to AVR with HDMI later on.

ABHILASH

1. To connect AVR (Onkyo 506)to SAMSUNG LCD TV(2 HDMI +2 component and one digital con. available)

ABHILASH

Hi Abhilash,

1. AVR to Samsung TV - Better to go with HDMI anyday, but check if your AVR does any actual processing or only pass through. If only pass through then a Component Video cable will do just as fine, but again is your LCD TV Full HD? If its Full HD then you will need a HDMI cable for upscaling. Component Video will just not do.
2. Tata Sky - You really have no choice, default analog RCA cables, red, white, and yellow.
3. DVD player to AVR - Get a good upscaling DVD player and go with HDMI.

Now coming to point 1. AVR to Samsung only makes sense only if its DVD to AVR for audio and DVD to AVR to TV for video. In this scenario going with DVD to TV for video via HDMI also makes perfect sense. It will mean one less cable hop in fact especially if the AVR does not do any processing.

Today I connected TATA Sky with AVR (oNKYO-506+JAMO 406) using RCA ANALOG CABLES. Upto volume of 20, the sound was barely audible afterwards it was ok upto max of 75 but not too loud.

Well the quality of sound was ok and as the room is small (13"x9") floor standers are producing effective bass.

Rest after I test the System with DVD Player.

Abhilash

Congratulations!!! Hope you enjoy your home theater!

ABHILASH

I used a wire to connect speakers to the AVR colored red and black (joined with each other)with 12-15 thin copper wires inside each of the two parts. Please enlighten me with info about quality of connecting wire and its impact on sound.
Abhilash

Hi buddies,
Yesterday I borrowed and connected a (basic)DVD Player (VIDEO-component to TV, AUDIO analog RCA to AVR). Then I watched my favourite 'The last Samurai' and beleive me I was flabbergasted with the effect.
I was overjoyed with the quality of sound with MP3 and Audio CDs also, though I listened to Gazals & Hindi film (new)music only. As there is a 'Tone' facility in the Onkyo-506 to increase the bass/treble upto 10 dB in 2 dB steps of front speakers,absence of subwoofer is manageable. I am very much satisfied with the performance of Jamo S406 floorstanders.Even at higher volume, it does not sound harsh.

Again thank you to all who helped me in decision making.

Abhilash

Hi buddies,
Yesterday I borrowed and connected a (basic)DVD Player (VIDEO-component to TV, AUDIO analog RCA to AVR). Then I watched my favourite 'The last Samurai' and beleive me I was flabbergasted with the effect.
I was overjoyed with the quality of sound with MP3 and Audio CDs also, though I listened to Gazals & Hindi film (new)music only. As there is a 'Tone' facility in the Onkyo-506 to increase the bass/treble upto 10 dB in 2 dB steps of front speakers,absence of subwoofer is manageable. I am very much satisfied with the performance of Jamo S406 floorstanders.Even at higher volume, it does not sound harsh.

Abhilash

Glad you are enjoying buddy. Have tons of fun for years to come...

glad to know you're enjoying them....i continue to believe that the Jamo 406 is one of the best value propositions at its price points....enjoy your kit!

Hi buddies,

Abhilash

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back