Help required: Basic Home Theatre Setup

ph33r

Hello Guys,

After the HT bug bit me some 6 months back, I finally decided to get started with a basic AV receiver and 5.1 speakers. But, as I read more and more in hifivision, more I get confused :eek:

Here is my setup:
  • Room Size: 14x13 feet (bedroom)
  • Display: SONY Bravia LCD 32"
  • Desktop (Media): Running XBMC for Movies (Action, Drama, Rom-Coms) and the occasional Music (Trance/Alternate Rock types)
  • Sound card: Creative SoundBlaster 5.1VX
  • Speakers: Creative Inspire T6160
  • Tata Sky SD (No, I am not looking for Tata Sky HD, why? I mostly watch Movies and TV series from my desktop :lol:)
  • Video: Desktop to TV via DVI-HDMI cable
  • Audio: Sound card to speakers
  • Please note that I do not have a HDMI port in the desktop!

Now I am thinking to upgrade the audio system (and make it a bit scalable for the future upgrades). The video system is fine unless it can be accommodated in the budget (which I doubt :D). I am thinking of the following:
  • Video: Leave it as it is!
  • Audio: HTiB like Yamaha 299/Onkyo 3500 OR buying separate AV receiver and speakers connected via the sound card (analog green/black/pink 3.5 mm jacks)
  • Budget: 30K .. OK not more than 35K (post which wifey will definitely veto the plan) in Bangalore

Also, I am a complete newbie when it comes to audio systems. I plan to go for auditions today. Will decide on the setup once I am convinced of the product!

Suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance!

Mods: Please feel free to move/merge if required.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions Suppu!

So basically I would need a graphics card with a HDMI port and HD Audio pass through. I was looking at ATI RADEON 1GB HD 6450 for the same. Only glitch being, it needs a 500W power which means that I would have to change the SMPS and/or cabinet (or I am missing something here?). So in total around 6 - 7k on top of HTiB/AVR + speakers. Needless to say more wires going around the room :sad:.

Now what if I go with a BR Palyer with WiFi or Media player with Wifi so that the player can access the media in my Desktop (all connected to my WiFi network) and play in the TV + AVR ? Is that a feasible and scalable option?

Thanks in advance!

I think Suppu has given great advice. The question is also how much would you be willing to spend on This setup over time. If you are thinking of keeping it within 50k - 60k a good HTIB plus a media player (Like WD TV Live) would be the way forward.

For a higher budget you can consider the Avr recommended above or even the Yamaha rx373, and add speakers or a speaker package later.

Just be sure you will like to keep for several years what you buy.

Last edited:
Under 35K very well u can go for HTIB ...Onkyo HT3500 but it is a passive Subwoofer...Yamaha YHT299 (4K passthrough feature is an added advantage for future) is also good option .It may extend upto 37K which is having active subwoofer...Since u r at Banagalore u may have more shops for this..
if u have more budget u can visit PROFX showroom who were one of the main dealer for Denon AVR ..

ONKYO HT-S3500 for 25k or even better would be Denon 1312XP, both are very good HTIB systems.

Thanks for your suggestions Suppu!

So basically I would need a graphics card with a HDMI port and HD Audio pass through. I was looking at ATI RADEON 1GB HD 6450 for the same. Only glitch being, it needs a 500W power which means that I would have to change the SMPS and/or cabinet (or I am missing something here?). So in total around 6 - 7k on top of HTiB/AVR + speakers. Needless to say more wires going around the room :sad:.

Now what if I go with a BR Palyer with WiFi or Media player with Wifi so that the player can access the media in my Desktop (all connected to my WiFi network) and play in the TV + AVR ? Is that a feasible and scalable option?

Thanks in advance!

Streaming movie over wifi might not be the best idea,
ASUS O!Play Mini + external HD, would be VFM instead upgrading PC.
for that ATI card you need more then 500w PSU, has special cooling requirement, so don't estimate anything less then 10-12K if option for air cooled cabinet. Also don't forget the humming noise produced by the card + all fans required to cool that card.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions guys, really appreciate it!

So I have almost finalized on the setup now (need to take auditions of course). I am going forward with this setup:

• HTiB: Yamaha 299/Onkyo 3500/Pioneer HTP-323ES/Onkyo 4505.
    • Cost: Rs. 35,000 Approx
    • Got quoation for Yamaha 299 for Rs. 34,500/- including delivery and installation. Lowest quotation for Onkyo 3500 is Rs. 31,000/-
  • Graphics card: ATI RADEON 1GB HD 6450.

• Ports available: HDMI, DVI, D-Sub
    • 7.1 Surround sound + True HD + DTS HD: Yes (and some more!!)
    • 3D Movies: Yes (confirmed by browsing other forums)
    • Power requirements: Researched about the power requirements, it seems like it consumes 22W at full load and 9W when idle. Confirmed the same with Computer Warehouse. So I will not be needing a new Power Supply for now. Unless if you guys feel that it's required for GPU life or something similar (it costs around Rs. 3,500/- so I guess it's alright)
    • 1 or 2 GB version: Also the same card is available in 2 GB version which according to the reviews are not required (some even said it's a marketing gimmick :D)
    • Cost Rs. 2730/-
  • HDMI cables: 2 numbers at Rs. 300/- each
  • Cabling: I will have to pass the speaker cables within the walls (only the rear 2), so there will be "joints" (I am a noob in this :lol:). Is there anything specific I need to keep in mind to ensure that there is no drop in quality?

So, the final system will be something like this:

PC (with 4 TB space, around 50% free, rest are media and OS(s)) ----- HTiB ----- TV

Set top box ----- HTiB ----- TV

Does this look like an "Okay" configuration? Of course I upgrade my PC (assembled) when something new is absolutely required. The same will go for the speakers, may upgrade it if I feel the need/urge. Will I be able to use receivers mentioned? Please note that I am NOT an audiophile, and I do not understand the nitty gritties of audio :p

Thanks!

Last edited:
YHT 299 for 35K ..i think it is good deal...
Use Belkin surge protector which will protect the entire system from any power surges incase if u r not using any voltage stabiliser...(I'm using Belkin 6 socket surge protector)
Also if u r using any extra speaker cables ..use good quality copper wires (size 0.5 or 0.75sqmm ..preferably bandridge or belkin brand)
Keep sharing ur experiences after installation..
Good luck.

why dont you go for bose professional system which is a higher end of the other bose .I assure you that it provides you the best hometheatre quality and efficiency

why dont you go for bose professional system which is a higher end of the other bose .I assure you that it provides you the best hometheatre quality and efficiency

Thanks for your suggestion Saund, it would be great if you could share some of the model numbers for easy reference. By the way I just checked, all the Bose systems are in lakhs!! I am sure people here can recommend much better systems in half the cost (and double the listening pleasure if I may add!). And I am on a shoe string budget of not more than INR 35k :(

They say that the more you know/research about something, more confused you are. Looks like it's proving to be true after the first round of auditions! :eek:hyeah:

Audition - Round 1 - Reliance Digital Koramangla:
  • Yamaha YHT 299: Auditioned the HTiB with some movie clips and songs, turns out that the sub woofer is not working in the demo piece. Will audition it again in the weekend in Yamaha Music Square.
  • Onkyo 3400/3500: Again out of order! Plan to visit Onkyo World in Barton Center over the weekend.
  • Pioneer HTP-RS33:
    • Big bass (although I am no expert in the same ;)).
    • A bit over my budget, MRP 40k INR! although naaptol quotes INR 30k!
    • Theater like sound
    • Lacks refinement when it comes to audio files.
    • I searched for reviews for this HTiB could not find much (Pioneers AVR owners please add some reviews, tips and tricks), seems like Pioneer isn't quite popular in HFV.

What do you all feel about the Pioneer HTiB? or HTP-RS42 for that matter?

Will update once I audition some more!

Regards
ph33r

Last edited:
Auditions - Budget increased from 35k to 50k!

Ok, I went for some auditioning over the weekend. The HTiBs we auditioned are:
  • Onkyo 3500 - INR 33k: Ok for movies, so so for music, passive sub woofer, lacks depth (personal opinion), low price (comparatively!)
  • Onkyo 4505 - INR 39k: Similar to Onkyo 3500 except for active sub woofer, slightly better in music, a bit high on the price
  • Onkyo HT-R558 + Onkyo SKS HT-528 speaker package - INR 50k: Good for movies, ok in music, more powerful sub than the Onkyo 4505, pricey!
  • Yamaha 299 - INR 37k: Music was very good (again personal opinion), shrillness (?) in the movies, not so powerful sub woofer, ok price
  • Pioneer HTP-RS43 - INR 46k: Typical Indian cinema hall sound! No clarity at all, in short, all show (again subjective) and no go! No offense to the owners of this HTiB.

Verdict

So after several auditions, I have zeroed in on the following:

AVR: Onkyo HT-R558
Speakers: Onkyo SKS HT-528 speaker package
Cost: INR 50k
Speaker cable: AWG 16 - 30 meter - INR 4.5k
Surge protector: INR 2k (should get one in that range)

So, what do you guys think? Is it VFM in the above mentioned package or should I try some more combinations and then finalize?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Auditions - Budget increased from 35k to 50k!

Ok, I went for some auditioning over the weekend. The HTiBs we auditioned are:
  • Onkyo 3500 - INR 33k: Ok for movies, so so for music, passive sub woofer, lacks depth (personal opinion), low price (comparatively!)
  • Onkyo 4505 - INR 39k: Similar to Onkyo 3500 except for active sub woofer, slightly better in music, a bit high on the price
  • Onkyo HT-R558 + Onkyo SKS HT-528 speaker package - INR 50k: Good for movies, ok in music, more powerful sub than the Onkyo 4505, pricey!
  • Yamaha 299 - INR 37k: Music was very good (again personal opinion), shrillness (?) in the movies, not so powerful sub woofer, ok price
  • Pioneer HTP-RS43 - INR 46k: Typical Indian cinema hall sound! No clarity at all, in short, all show (again subjective) and no go! No offense to the owners of this HTiB.

Verdict

So after several auditions, I have zeroed in on the following:

AVR: Onkyo HT-R558
Speakers: Onkyo SKS HT-528 speaker package
Cost: INR 50k
Speaker cable: AWG 16 - 30 meter - INR 4.5k
Surge protector: INR 2k (should get one in that range)

So, what do you guys think? Is it VFM in the above mentioned package or should I try some more combinations and then finalize?

Thanks in advance!

Check out Denon 1312 package which should be available ~35k and will be under your original budget. JBL also had a couple of packages to offer in your range some time back, but I'm not sure as they changed their line-up in the past year. You can check it out.

Also, I don't think you would need to buy a separate graphics card as you can use DVI to HDMI cable to connect your PC to your AVR. As for the sound, you can use your existing soundcard's coaxial digital out and connect it with the AVR.

Check out Denon 1312 package which should be available ~35k and will be under your original budget. JBL also had a couple of packages to offer in your range some time back, but I'm not sure as they changed their line-up in the past year. You can check it out.

Also, I don't think you would need to buy a separate graphics card as you can use DVI to HDMI cable to connect your PC to your AVR. As for the sound, you can use your existing soundcard's coaxial digital out and connect it with the AVR.

On second thought, go for the video card but only if you pick up a receiver that supports HD audio.

On second thought, go for the video card but only if you pick up a receiver that supports HD audio.

Yes, the AVR I chose i.e. Onkyo HT-R558 does support HD audio hence the video card.

Also, I didn't quite like the Denon 1312, quoted at INR 40k in ProFX! Although it was a very short demo.

So do you think the current package is future proof (for another 7 years maybe). Only thing missing which I could make out is the 4k pass through capability. Point to note is that I don't have a 4k capable TV yet and no plans to get one till this TV conks out, it's 2 year old TV so it should probably go for another 5 years :eek:hyeah:

Regards

Thanks for your suggestion Saund, it would be great if you could share some of the model numbers for easy reference. By the way I just checked, all the Bose systems are in lakhs!! I am sure people here can recommend much better systems in half the cost (and double the listening pleasure if I may add!). And I am on a shoe string budget of not more than INR 35k :(

They say that the more you know/research about something, more confused you are. Looks like it's proving to be true after the first round of auditions! :eek:hyeah:

Audition - Round 1 - Reliance Digital Koramangla:
  • Yamaha YHT 299: Auditioned the HTiB with some movie clips and songs, turns out that the sub woofer is not working in the demo piece. Will audition it again in the weekend in Yamaha Music Square.
  • Onkyo 3400/3500: Again out of order! Plan to visit Onkyo World in Barton Center over the weekend.
  • Pioneer HTP-RS33:
    • Big bass (although I am no expert in the same ;)).
    • A bit over my budget, MRP 40k INR! although naaptol quotes INR 30k!
    • Theater like sound
    • Lacks refinement when it comes to audio files.
    • I searched for reviews for this HTiB could not find much (Pioneers AVR owners please add some reviews, tips and tricks), seems like Pioneer isn't quite popular in HFV.

What do you all feel about the Pioneer HTiB? or HTP-RS42 for that matter?

Will update once I audition some more!

Regards
ph33r

I had auditioned Yamaha and Pioneer Htibs back to back. Yamaha was much more natural sounding. Pioneer - bassy.

if ur budget is more .then you can try for Denon AVR with polk audio speakers setup..otherwise try Marantz or HarmanKardon brand AVR with different speaker setups..Before making final decision do some some good audition ..and prfere according to ur hearing taste and preference..
Good luck.

For a greater price range you can consider the Avr suggested above or even the Yamaha rx373, and add sound system or a presenter program later. Just be sure you will like to keep for several decades what you buy.

if ur budget is more .then you can try for Denon AVR with polk audio speakers setup..otherwise try Marantz or HarmanKardon brand AVR with different speaker setups..Before making final decision do some some good audition ..and prfere according to ur hearing taste and preference..
Good luck.

Thanks guys! I am definitely auditioning all the set ups at length (sometimes to the point where the sales man gets annoyed!).

By the way which AVRs and speakers sets do you guys recommend to audition (model numbers)? I found that it's best to call a dealer and ask them if they have the particular set up (AVR + Speakers) and are willing to give a demo (many refused!) before actually walking by their stores.

Regards

My review of Pioneer RS-33
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/47164-pioneer-rs-33-htib-not-really-box.html

I always get this answer for a greater price I will get more. But yes that's Audio experience. But sometimes people don't get a greater price ;-)

Anyway RS-33 is actually to save money and buy everything as one shot, and u cant upgrade it latter(its not worth actually). I would say Pioneer is a budget AVR for guys like me. I loved its deep bass, sharp trebles and how it generates less heat compared to long working time it takes and also the beating it takes compared to denon. i live it chennai so heat is an issue. I use it for gaming, music , movies and fm for this price I would say its a good all rounder. Rest is in your ears if it likes it . I use an AMD rad HD6770 card and PS3 it has no sound so far.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back