Help required for TV,HT,STB,DVDP connection please!

vnmathur57

Dear friends,
I have connected some recently bought equipments as following :
DVDP to TV through Video cable( yellow), White & red hanging loose.
DVDP to AVR through Bandridge C-axial
TV earphone jack to Audio-in of AVR (Stereo-RCA cable)
This was working fine while playing Audio or Video on DVDP.
Now I got Videocon d2h(HD) and the guy has connected STB to TV through one HDMI cable. The sound from the system is terrible.
The TV is Sony 40BX450 which I recently bought.
Is something wrong in this set up?
Shall be grateful for your suggestions.

Select Home cinema mode in Audio output of d2h BOX(Settings-->Installation(1234)-->Box Settings-->Tv Settings-->Audio output)
Connect coaxial audio out of STB to coaxial audio in of AVR using a simple AV cable.
d2h sends Dolby Digital output via coaxial only.

I think D2H HD supports 5.1 audio through coaxial out. So connect coaxial out of STB to AVR to get better sound. You could also connect the STB directly to AVR and then AVR to TV using HDMI cables. But the avr needs to be ON always in this mode.

A possible problem will be the number of coaxial inputs the OP's AVR has. If I'm not mistaken, most AVRs have a single coaxial input, which can be assigned to one of the inputs on the AVR. The OP has already connected his DVD player's coaxial to the AVR.

If the OP's AVR has 2 (or more) coaxial inputs, then there won't be a problem.

@ lake1988, baijuxavior,zervinb - thanks a million! Last night I took out the co-ax plug from DVDP and connected to SPDIF port of STB. TV sound is coming thro the system now, greatly improved and appears to be 5.1. Could not test fully as it was late night. Will check it today evening.
@baijuxaviour - If I connect HDMI out of AVR to TV through HDMI cable, will the sound be ok? This TV does not have ARC, but the AVR has it.

If I connect HDMI out of AVR to TV through HDMI cable, will the sound be ok? This TV does not have ARC, but the AVR has it.

Sound will work fine. But you won't get 5.1 sound through hdmi. For this assign the coaxial input to the hdmi input to which you have connected the stb and set audio to digital.

I think D2H HD supports 5.1 audio through coaxial out. So connect coaxial out of STB to AVR to get better sound. You could also connect the STB directly to AVR and then AVR to TV using HDMI cables. But the avr needs to be ON always in this mode.
This is the correct advice.

@ lake1988, baijuxavior,zervinb - thanks a million! Last night I took out the co-ax plug from DVDP and connected to SPDIF port of STB. TV sound is coming thro the system now, greatly improved and appears to be 5.1. Could not test fully as it was late night. Will check it today evening.
@baijuxaviour - If I connect HDMI out of AVR to TV through HDMI cable, will the sound be ok? This TV does not have ARC, but the AVR has it.
You should NOT connect HDMI-out to AVR. The STB will have an audio settings preferences such as HDMI over SPDI/F or SPDI/F over HDMI. With the former, HDMI sound will take preference and because HDMI in D2H does not carry 5.1 sound, you will loose out. Just connect as Baiju suggested:

STB ==> HDMI ==> TV
STB ==> Coaxial ==> AVR

If AVR is swicthed off, you will get stereo sound from TV. If AVR is switched on, you will get 5.1 sound from AVR/Speakers (you can reduce the TV volume to zero if you wish).

A possible problem will be the number of coaxial inputs the OP's AVR has. If I'm not mistaken, most AVRs have a single coaxial input, which can be assigned to one of the inputs on the AVR. The OP has already connected his DVD player's coaxial to the AVR.

If the OP's AVR has 2 (or more) coaxial inputs, then there won't be a problem.

Thanks a lot.I checked, AVR has one more Co-ax input. I'll buy another cable & connect the DVDP also to the AVR tonight.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back