Help restoring Sansui AU919

Dear Shailesh & Chang (tiger0691),
Thanks for suggestions. Since the amp is already with Mr. Kalam and he has already procured and changed some caps and as I am away at Allahabad, I guess I would just wait & see if the heating issue is resolved with at least no deterioration in sound.
If the sound improves, nothing like it!.
However, if the heating issue remains, I shall approach someone else.
Rgds,
Gurmeet

I was once a great fan of Sansui vintage amps and speakers . At one point of time I had 16 Amplifiers with me. AU-919 was also not an exception. On what you are saying. I am sure that the quiescent current setting needs a re-calibration. It is drawing more current at no load. Instead of changing each and every capacitor
you should get to the bottom of the actual fault.
Since I was into stereo amplifier manufacturing that time, I used to repair my stuff by myself. At many occasions I had brought amp from scrap and successfully restored them to its original working state.

Vivek

Dear Vivek, Sorry I failed to acknowledge your valuable input earlier!
You are very much right about the current setting requiring re-caliberation. :thumbsup:
This is what Mr. Kalam suggested and has done. He informs that apart from this, he has attempted to set right an earlier unsuccessful repair, which as per him was causing heating in one channel.

I wish I had the skills that you possess! You are pretty cool!:cool:

As far as changing the caps is concerned; initially he said, that cap replacement may not be required at all. But after inspection, he reported that one electrolytic cap had come off just at mere touching. Thereafter, he opined to replace all electrolytic caps which he says might have gone dry.

Thanks and I do envy your skills!
Gurmeet

Hi Gurmi,

if possible please do not go in for Keltron. Those are not audiophile grade caps. Samwha would be better...even better would be Panasonic/Nichicon. If possible please get in touch with Aniket of our forum who is from Delhi. He might be able to help you in procuring good caps.

Shailesh, though you are correct about original Panasonic/nichicon which are costly but I keep different opinion about keltron vs Samwha. IMO keltron is better than Samwha.

Thanks for all the inputs, friends!
I could see the replies today only as I was away caught up in my official duties.

I shall describe my setup: I am presently using an Apple TV to stream music from my NAS to nuforce dia which drives my Tekton Design Mini-lore speakers. The performance of this setup is pretty satisfying.

I had expected the sansui to better the performance vastly. Sadly that did not happen. I bought a Grant Fidelity Tube DAC 11 to connect Apple TV to Sansui driving my Mini-lores. The sound was shriller, forward with not much bass and separation.:sad:

Based on the recommendation of a FM, I have given the amp to one Mr. Kalam, a small timer, based in CR Park, Delhi. He says the biasing has to be adjusted and later he told that all electrolytic caps need replacement. He shall be replacing with equivalent Phillips or Keltron caps, as he does not know where to source Nichicon or Panasonic caps which I suggested.

Another strange thing that I noticed when he tested the amp at his workshop (just as it is with no adjustments); it sounded far better with his small bookshelves (onida make) than it did with my M-Lores. It was probably the source (he used an old CD player) or just that my speakers do not match well with the sansui.

Thank you krell and reubensm for advice; now I reckon, if the recapping would make me any happier!

Thank you kartick; wish I had seen the replies earlier!

As for now, I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am presently at Allahabad; shall go back to Noida/ Delhi after 2 weeks time. Lets see what happens!
Hi Gurmi, I visited Mr. Kalaam for getting my cassette player fixed and I saw a huge amplifier sitting on his repair shelf. Upon looking closer, it was the 919. I can now relate that it was yours. I asked him whom did it belong to and he said someone who lives in Allahabad. It wasn't fixed completely. However, he did not seem to be in total control of the repair job. Did not instill much confidence. This I can say even from the job he did with my gear. Anyway, if you still want to salvage the unit, please do give me a call and probably you can go this guy in West Delhi coz he can still make it work.

Cheers

dude, post the number of this guy in west delhi as I know of many FMs in delhi who could use his services!

'This' guy's name is Davinder Singh and his contact number is 09818995322. He is based out of Subhash Nagar area. Quite an experienced guy. Knows how to empty the wallet once he senses the customer is agreeing to whatever he is saying or is unaware about the gear.

So deal with him smartly.

Hope this helps....

Cheers

Hi Gurmi, I visited Mr. Kalaam for getting my cassette player fixed and I saw a huge amplifier sitting on his repair shelf. Upon looking closer, it was the 919. I can now relate that it was yours. I asked him whom did it belong to and he said someone who lives in Allahabad. It wasn't fixed completely. However, he did not seem to be in total control of the repair job. Did not instill much confidence. This I can say even from the job he did with my gear. Anyway, if you still want to salvage the unit, please do give me a call and probably you can go this guy in West Delhi coz he can still make it work.

Cheers

Thanks for the update, Kartick.
Yesterday I talked to Mr. Kalam and was informed that the amp is ready.
I shall collect it on coming sunday and see if it is any better; though your feedback has got me really worried. :sad:
I shall surely contact you if any further repairs are indicated, which in all probability may be required.
Trouble is, most of my days are spent at Allahabad. I wish I could come back for good!
Thanks once again!
Gurmeet

No need to worry. Im sure if he says he has fixed it, he must have. Anyway, if there is still some issue, u can consult other servicemen. It eventually can be sorted.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back