help solicited from DIY Community for an integrated project.

Well, I do not know how much of an audiophile you are, therefore my 2c.

You can have a source based on sd card, these kits are available in plenty on ebay, Alternatively you can get locally available usb players..around INR 500. Having said that the quality that comes out of these sources are bad..however in tru diy spirit you can have a chain of source - dac - preamp. Of course with your preamp kit in place you can start the journey. For an amp you could pick up some local kits...check with diyaudiocart.com .

Speakers...up to you...there is enough and more data on the forum..

hope this helps as starters...

Actually not a bad idea. Anyway i wanted it to be an integrated project. So in absence of a good grade USB DAC or CD player, at least i shall be able to enjoy something......

So i bought these !!

DSC_0037_zps4a51fb7d.jpg photo by subro99 | Photobucket

DSC_0036_zpscda7db67.jpg photo by subro99 | Photobucket

DSC_0035_zpsb7836bd1.jpg photo by subro99 | Photobucket

Hope to see you guys here on this thread ....

Finally got hold of a chasis which i thought will be of adequate size. Knowing that there will be a tube-preamp, thought of making it spacious, so that heat dissipation would be easier....

DSC_0045_zps7fa9a89d.jpg photo by subro99 | Photobucket

So, just placed all the stuff inside to check if they can be efficiently housed. How does the colony look now? Familier citizens?

Cheers
subro99

Made some holes and cut outs at the back panel and made provision for some rca sockets.

DSC_0048_zpsac8d3f41.jpg photo by subro99 | Photobucket

Then some in the front as well. Let the VU LED bars sit at top right corner and the chinese usb reader in the middle. But then these are optional - if they are a nuisance, i will bury them in a coffin.

Made provision for individual power indicators for source, pre n power since all of them will have their own transformers..

DSC_0049_zps36272701.jpg photo by subro99 | Photobucket

trying hard to waking you all up by posting so many messages !!

subro99

Now i need some help.

I have a 40-0-40 Volts 7.5 Amps transformer. The rail voltages required are +45Volts and -45Volts where as the chip requires +60Volts and -60Volts.

Though i have a circuit, i cant fully rely on it.

If somebody shows me how to get the two levels from one transformer, nothing like it.

As of now i am thinking of simple resistive divider but guess that would not be accurate as the musical load will be a variable factor...

Thanks in advance.
subro99

Guys,

please help. all i am asking is a regulated power supply with 60v and 45v from a 40v transformer. possible?

Sorry....

Can't post any more pictures as my quota seems to be over. Unless you suggest me some website...

Upload/host your images to ImageShack? - Online Photo and Video Hosting. Uploading to that site is simple - select the images, click on upload. Once uploaded, go to My Images. You will see thnumbnails of the pictures you have uploaded. Right click on the thumbnail of desired picture, select Share It. On the next screen, copy the URL given in Forum box. Paste this URL in your post on HFV. Your picture will show up on your post.

The upload quota for pictures on the forum is small so it gets used up soon.

some comments:

Your tube preamp transformer is underpowered. It says 1.5A for the heater supply. The 6N1 takes 600ma per tube and the 6z4 takes 500ma. total 1.7A. you need atleast 3A for the heater. Dont plug it in, the transformer might go. at the minimum, it wont give you full 6.3v with excessive load, the voltage could drop a lot, might harm the tube's life also. In future, keep a good margin between your power requirements and trafo ratings.

Do you have a schematic for the preamp. dont buy stuff from ebay if the schematic isnt provided. 6N1 is kinda like a 6dj8/ecc88. Its not suitable for preamp duty on its own as a single tube. If the second 6n1 is being used for tone controls, then its not a very good design. if both are being used for preamp duty (not tone control), then its fine. The tube is a twin triode, so if you are using two triodes per channel, its fine, single triode per channel is not so great an idea with this kind of tube.

I couldnt see the pics clearly, but looks like the psu output for the amp is being taken from the diodes itself. You need to take it from the last cap. It sounds ok when you look at the schematic, but actually its not.

Dont use the electrical socket, use iec socket for power input. Its much much safer, you can get one with inbuilt fuse and switch also, there are some that come with builtin emi/rf protection. If an IEC socket gets pulled out accidently, it wont cause any harm. if your male power plug gets pulled out, the pins will be live mains and can touch anything. very very dangerous.

the 40v trafo should give you about 55v dc. why do you want regulated? 55vdc might be ok, you will just get a little bit less power. why dont u check the data sheet for the chip and see how much power it can handle. as long as its not real close to the lower limit, it should be ok.

You know what easiest is to buy a 2nd hand netbook with USB 2.0 (no other fancy requirement). Install Linux,ALSA,MPD & enjoy (my netbook is 4 years old but perfect for this purpose)
If you are into CHIPAMPS contact linuxguru in the forum for MYREF...it is extremely nice amp

Thanks, Krishnendu, and I'll second the netbook recommendation. Actually, you can get a full-fledged second-hand notebook like a Thinkpad, with USB 2.0. Use a stock Linux distro like Fedora/Ubuntu. Get a USB DAC like the HifiMeDIY ES9023 + TE7022 24/96 DAC, which is similar to the Objective DAC, but smaller and more convenient. Run the output of the DAC to your amp (I'm partial to the MyRef, for which I have kits available, but Panson's LME49810 kits and various other solid-state amps like the Symasym are also good choices).

There are a variety of options for music streaming, using an IR-remote to control the streaming server through the IR port of your notebook. Another option is using a Bluetooth HID device like an Apple Bluetooth keyboard or similar.

Regarding the regulated power supply at +/- 60V is a costly and complex affair. You can definitely use a robust unregulated supply using MUR based rectifiers or a heavy duty bridge rectifier. I would not recommend the black rectifier diodes that you have used they are ok upto 6A only. However if you use a My Ref amplifier 25-0-25 is the optimal ransformer rating.

Get a separate R-core / toroidal transformer for your preamplifier (with separate secondaries for tube heater supply). For this you can opt for a regulated power supply as the current required is small. You can buy regulators based on the LMxxx series for positive and negative rails.

The netbook source is great. Even I am using it with my DACs to make a greast source of all my digital collections.

Now i need some help.

I have a 40-0-40 Volts 7.5 Amps transformer. The rail voltages required are +45Volts and -45Volts where as the chip requires +60Volts and -60Volts.

Though i have a circuit, i cant fully rely on it.

If somebody shows me how to get the two levels from one transformer, nothing like it.

As of now i am thinking of simple resistive divider but guess that would not be accurate as the musical load will be a variable factor...

Thanks in advance.
subro99

Subro,

By the way when you say 45-0-45 input do you mean AC or DC

I thought you had bought a prebuilt kit from EBAY. If that is so what is the input DC voltage as required by the circuit (do not worry about the CHIP voltage, if the design is proper that should have been taken care of).

If you have 40-0-40 AC, post rectification it'll give you around 54-0-54 DC which means that you'll have to drop 10 odd volts from the rails.

You can do it inductors (difficult to get in India),
Go for a regulated power supply (again difficult to source and not cost effective).

The best solution is to get a proper transformer 34-0-34 AC

Last edited:
There are a variety of options for music streaming, using an IR-remote to control the streaming server through the IR port of your notebook. Another option is using a Bluetooth HID device like an Apple Bluetooth keyboard or similar.

If someone has home WIFI & Android phone (maybe apple also not sure), MPD on Linux helps the Phone to work as a wonderful remote :)

Sorry for OT: can someone guide me how to use Raspberry PI.I recently bought it 512 MB version.I want to use it with my TV and wifi as a media center.

Regards,
Sachin

some comments:

Your tube preamp transformer is underpowered. It says 1.5A for the heater supply. The 6N1 takes 600ma per tube and the 6z4 takes 500ma. total 1.7A. you need atleast 3A for the heater. Dont plug it in, the transformer might go. at the minimum, it wont give you full 6.3v with excessive load, the voltage could drop a lot, might harm the tube's life also. In future, keep a good margin between your power requirements and trafo ratings.

Do you have a schematic for the preamp. dont buy stuff from ebay if the schematic isnt provided. 6N1 is kinda like a 6dj8/ecc88. Its not suitable for preamp duty on its own as a single tube. If the second 6n1 is being used for tone controls, then its not a very good design. if both are being used for preamp duty (not tone control), then its fine. The tube is a twin triode, so if you are using two triodes per channel, its fine, single triode per channel is not so great an idea with this kind of tube.

I couldnt see the pics clearly, but looks like the psu output for the amp is being taken from the diodes itself. You need to take it from the last cap. It sounds ok when you look at the schematic, but actually its not.

Dont use the electrical socket, use iec socket for power input. Its much much safer, you can get one with inbuilt fuse and switch also, there are some that come with builtin emi/rf protection. If an IEC socket gets pulled out accidently, it wont cause any harm. if your male power plug gets pulled out, the pins will be live mains and can touch anything. very very dangerous.

the 40v trafo should give you about 55v dc. why do you want regulated? 55vdc might be ok, you will just get a little bit less power. why dont u check the data sheet for the chip and see how much power it can handle. as long as its not real close to the lower limit, it should be ok.

Those are really some very good observations and comments. It becomes so easy when there's a group thinking on this......thank you so much. What i understood is i need to address the heater power supply of the tubes as it looks inadequate. Next i am corresponding with the supplier for the schematic - simultaneously googling as well!! Lets see.

Can i substitute the stock tubes with something better?

PSU of the amp - yes output will be taken from cap's side. No problemo. IEC Socket - please allow this time as cut out in cabinet already made. Apart from safety as pointed out by you, it is looking cheap also...but what to do!!

I dont want regulated. Problem is i have an ac trafo of 40-0-40 with 7.5 Amps rating. But the circuit requires 60V for the chip and 45 Volts for the rail.
So, 55Volts when given by the outbut of rectifier/capacitor is ok for the chip but how to bring it down to 40-45 level for the rails? What i was initially thinking to have a 440K 1W resistor (330K + 110K individual resistors) across the output and deriving rails voltage by having a tapping from the joint - a simple voltage devider sort of. But then with amp load after it, i guess this would not be a correct proposition.

Under this circumstances, could there be any other solution. I also have a 30-0-30 Ac 5 amp trafo.

Regards

Regarding the regulated power supply at +/- 60V is a costly and complex affair. You can definitely use a robust unregulated supply using MUR based rectifiers or a heavy duty bridge rectifier. I would not recommend the black rectifier diodes that you have used they are ok upto 6A only. However if you use a My Ref amplifier 25-0-25 is the optimal ransformer rating.

Get a separate R-core / toroidal transformer for your preamplifier (with separate secondaries for tube heater supply). For this you can opt for a regulated power supply as the current required is small. You can buy regulators based on the LMxxx series for positive and negative rails.

The netbook source is great. Even I am using it with my DACs to make a greast source of all my digital collections.

Will it be possible to give me a sketch on MUR based rectification for the power amp with specific part number/model number etc? i am also not very comfortable with the bridge rectifier circuit made by the black diodes, though they are 10A rating writen on their body. Regarding My Ref, i will definitely take that up but only after i finish this project which will give me some valuable understanding.

And yes, i am using separate trafo entirely for the pre-amp. And regarding the netbook source - looks like this is a very popular choice. Can u please tell me what should be the basic minimum configuration and if any value for money netbook/notebook exists..?

Thanks
subro99

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back