Help: TT Problem Akai AP206C DD

Gents - A quick update on my TurnTable. Got the TT home and re-balanced the tonearm and it played just fine. Non stop 2hrs and no issues noticed. I just used a different point and adapter. Sounds pleasant after a re-balance.

Cheers...

Looks like indeed that was a voltage issue. And hope that the problem does not resurfaces anytime. Enjoy back the TT:)

Lovely to note that its working properly. However this is the very first time, I've come across this issue in relation to this root cause. Its a learning for all of us.

Gents - Issue not resolved :(. Last night after about 45mins of play, the same issue occured with the speed dropping tremendously. Tried connecting the TT to multiple points but in vain.

Now, I did quite a bit of reading and apparently this is a Known Issue with some of the Akai Direct Drive TTs from that era.

Some tips I've gotten to resolve this issue:

1. Open the turntable and spray a Deoxidiser inside the pitch control and the 33/45 selector switch. Operate repeatedly to these controls to facilitate the action of Deoxidiser and then wait for a few minutes for complete evaporation.

This may solve the issue.

2. If the previous operation din't resolve the problem, then go to check all electrolytic capacitors and replace those that are not in optimal conditions. This requires use of a capacitance/ESR meter.

OR, just go ahead and replace all electrolytic capacitors.

Gents - Could you please advise on the above steps? Also, I've never opened a TT before and do you think I can go ahead and perform the above steps by opening the TT and not causing any damage? Or should I just give it to my TT Technician and advise him on the above steps.

Thanks in advance...

Disappointed to know that the problem resurfaces. I am not sure, but is it a DC or an AC motor? If its a DC motor, then the best thing would be to check the voltage across the motor inputs once the problem shows up. I am sure that if the motor itself is okay, then the voltage across the inputs will be less than optimal. Once this is confirmed, we can take it from there I guess. Very well could be the caps.

Also, I expect that you are sure that the TT is getting 220 V and not less.

Hand it over to some professional.I think replacing all Electrolyte caps of same values would do the trick.

Regards,
Sachin

Gents - Issue not resolved :(. Last night after about 45mins of play, the same issue occured with the speed dropping tremendously. Tried connecting the TT to multiple points but in vain.

Now, I did quite a bit of reading and apparently this is a Known Issue with some of the Akai Direct Drive TTs from that era.

Some tips I've gotten to resolve this issue:

1. Open the turntable and spray a Deoxidiser inside the pitch control and the 33/45 selector switch. Operate repeatedly to these controls to facilitate the action of Deoxidiser and then wait for a few minutes for complete evaporation.

This may solve the issue.

2. If the previous operation din't resolve the problem, then go to check all electrolytic capacitors and replace those that are not in optimal conditions. This requires use of a capacitance/ESR meter.

OR, just go ahead and replace all electrolytic capacitors.

Gents - Could you please advise on the above steps? Also, I've never opened a TT before and do you think I can go ahead and perform the above steps by opening the TT and not causing any damage? Or should I just give it to my TT Technician and advise him on the above steps.

Thanks in advance...

I would carpet replace all the electrolytic caps. But before doing this, I would run a check on the mechanicals, the motor and controls (specifically there are presets present). Many years ago, a friend came to us with a portable cassette recorder which had a similar problem. It would play for about 1 hour or so and then slow down, would stop rewinding/fast forwarding. On carefully checking, we noticed a preset in the speed control was heating up (the shaft was disengaging). This was ultimately traced to a faulty transistor in the speed control. It was an easy problem but a unique problem to resolve.

Changing of caps, etc should be ideally done by someone who is familiar with electronics and soldering techniques. An audio technician is like a doctor - the more experienced, the better.

Thank you Gents. I will proceed as advised. First will have a mechanical check conducted on the motor and controls and then, replacement of caps.

Will keep you posted on progress.

Cheers...

Disappointed to know that the problem resurfaces. I am not sure, but is it a DC or an AC motor? If its a DC motor, then the best thing would be to check the voltage across the motor inputs once the problem shows up. I am sure that if the motor itself is okay, then the voltage across the inputs will be less than optimal. Once this is confirmed, we can take it from there I guess. Very well could be the caps.

Also, I expect that you are sure that the TT is getting 220 V and not less.

Hey Saket - This is a DC Servo Motor. Ill have the voltage checked across as well.

There is one experienced skilled repair person in Chennai.His name is Sayed.He is having vast knowledge of TTs.Hs name is mentioned in TOI artical which Murli posted.Many FMs knows him well.He will definitely fix your TT's issue.

Regards,
Sachin

There is one experienced skilled repair person in Chennai.His name is Sayed.He is having vast knowledge of TTs.Hs name is mentioned in TOI artical which Murli posted.Many FMs knows him well.He will definitely fix your TT's issue.

Regards,
Sachin

Thank's for sharing this Sachu. Let's see how it goes with my technician now and he also gave me an update over phone today that he has resolved the issue by soldering some wires on the board. Will pick it this evening and see how it goes. Will post on this tomorrow again.

Cheers...

Great! That means the originality still remains intact and no replacement of parts. Finally you would be smiling to some good music! Glad that the technician devoted so much time so as to make the problem surface up.

Regards,
Saket

Great! That means the originality still remains intact and no replacement of parts. Finally you would be smiling to some good music! Glad that the technician devoted so much time so as to make the problem surface up.

Regards,
Saket

Thanks Saket. I've got a very good technician. I've been with him for a while now for all my equipment. Over years we have built that rapport :)

I picked the TT up last evening, however din't get to play it. Hopefully tonight Ill get it to start spinning.

Cheers...

Gents - Got the TT spinning again last night. Balanced the tonearm again. No issues noticed and I hope it stays that way :).

Did a good LP session last night. Ended it with Peter Bursch. Some amazing piece of guitaring:

j1n9.jpg

4sgv.jpg

It looked like all was well...Last week the same issue came up. Platter stopped moving again :(

This time I have asked my tech to give it a detailed inspection and then after discussion, we will take further steps.

While I do that, I may ping to you discuss on the further steps.

It looked like all was well...Last week the same issue came up. Platter stopped moving again :(

This time I have asked my tech to give it a detailed inspection and then after discussion, we will take further steps.

While I do that, I may ping to you discuss on the further steps.

sure, most welcome.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back