Help: TT Problem Akai AP206C DD

Record Player

I faced my first unique problem with my turntable last night. After about 2hrs of non-stop record playing, my turntable suddenly dropped tremendous speed. Before I could damage anything I clicked on the auto stop knob but nothing happened. I manually picked up the tone arm and placed it back and also put the arm lock on. After that I turned off the power, took off the TT mat and platter to check if I can visibly notice anything, however there was nothing wrong. I powered it up again and I tried to cue the tone arm for play and it just moved for a couple of millimeters i.e. refused to move to the playing point of the record. I did this very gently so no damage will be caused. I powered it up again and I noticed the platter running at an extremely low speed with the Strobe lamp being on. Could not figure what went wrong and it was 2am so I got to bed.

Now, in the morning I thought let me try and see if it has the same problem and to my surprise, it started to play just fine. But this was just for 5 minutes. Tonight I will try again and see what happens.
Now Gents Do you have any observations or suggestions for me based on the above? Is the motor heating up etc?

Last edited:
If I have one to pick, I would put my money on the motor. Don't know if that model has an ac motor or a dc motor, but if the winding would go weak, motors can drop speed when hot.

I am sure people with more knowledge on the subject will come forward.

Regards,
Saket

Hey Saket - I guess you are right. Just now everything was fine for 20 minutes and the same problem reoccurred now.

Looks like it is the motor. What are my next steps to resolve this?

You may need to replace all Electrolyte caps to solve speed issue.I don't see any motor issue.

Regards,
Sachin

Agree with Sachin and Mr. Kuruvilla, caps are most likely to be the culprit in such cases. Check the voltage & current across the motor rails at start of play and when the problem occurs. If there is no change in both scenarios, then target the motor.

I asked my mechanic and he told me that for some DD players, problems come in combination. It will need to be examined by a qualified technician. Wrong diagnosis may be fatal for the player. I once got a Thorens TD 125 and the platter was not spinning. The guy I bought it from had tried everything electronic and wanted to open the motor but since it was riveted, he could not open it . When I got it, I found that the ball bearing was missing and the platter would not move. Had the opened up the motor, I am sure it would have been beyond repair. So beware and do not experiment without finding out the root cause. Especially be careful of targeting the motor unless you are 100% sure

I asked my mechanic and he told me that for some DD players, problems come in combination.

Mumbai's own mechanic Panurang also do not have good view of DD - accordion to him Belt drive are eay to repairand maintain - in fact he is more comfortable with idler drive over DD

+1 to what Mr. Kuruvila said, never touch anything under the bonnet if you are not familiar with it. My brother and I just got a Grundig V5000 amp fixed, which had been through someone's unqualified cowboy hands. It took month's of hard work to restore it to its original condition. But again, this was all about electronics, in case of TT's you'd be talking mechanicals and once damaged, could be almost impossible to fix.

Thank you gentlemen for your views and suggestions.

So as suggested I will first have the caps checked. I also now think it could be a Voltage and Current issue based on the nature of the issue I noticed. Hope nothing is wrong with the motor :(

I will have this checked later this week. Will keep you posted...

Update:

Left the TT with my technician this Monday. He played the TT for about 3-4hrs and did not notice any issue. That's weird!! I advised him to try playing again the next day for a long duration and again no issues noticed. Its playing just fine!

Now he has suggested that there may be an issue with the plug point and that its not supppling enough electricity.

Currently, about 4 pieces of Audio equipment connected to a Belkin Surge Protector and this connected to the Servo Controlled Stabilizer and that to the mains. Could there by any issue here?

Intermittent issues, hard to diagnose. However, I will take that as good news if everything is fine after playing hours. To check, you may try playing the TT at some other wall outlet (with a stabilizer) for a few days may be. In case the problem still exists, it should show up. What say?

Regards,
Saket

Sounds like a plan Saket.

It's good there is no major problems :). I have maintained and handled this TT with extreme care. Only feather touch operating.

Cheers and lets see how this goes.

PS: I need to do a re-balancing of the tonearm. I have an Audio Technica Yellow Cartridge. Don't have the model number with me. I think VTF best aligns at 2-3 grams. This should be okay right?

PS: I need to do a re-balancing of the tonearm. I have an Audio Technica Yellow Cartridge. Don't have the model number with me. I think VTF best aligns at 2-3 grams. This should be okay right?

May be AT-91. Acc. to the AT manual, tracks best at 1.5-2.5 gms. Do rebalance the arm, as the mech may have changed it inadvertently. Also, changing locations may need rebalancing as the planes may be slightly different.

Regards,
Saket

Yep, that's it. It's the AT-91.

While I do this, I'mm considring a new cartridge only for playing my mint condition LPs as I am sure the output will be very pleasing compared to the AT-91.

Any suggestions? Not too high on the price as well.

for AT91, use tracking force 1.5 gms and antiskate 2 gms. That's pretty standard.

On another count, the AT91 is a very under rated cart, probably because of its price. I had compared this to my OEM technics cart and the technics cart was rubbish compared to it. It was a little brighter when I compared it to my father's Shure M75-6 but at the end of the day, I love my M44-7 especially because of its high gain and bass response. Of course all this is personal opinion and choice.

Update:

Left the TT with my technician this Monday. He played the TT for about 3-4hrs and did not notice any issue. That's weird!! I advised him to try playing again the next day for a long duration and again no issues noticed. Its playing just fine!

Now he has suggested that there may be an issue with the plug point and that its not supppling enough electricity.

Currently, about 4 pieces of Audio equipment connected to a Belkin Surge Protector and this connected to the Servo Controlled Stabilizer and that to the mains. Could there by any issue here?

Would your technician be able to help me with a Nak tape player problem?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back