Help Wanted Urgent - 220 50hz to 110 60hz for Onkyo SR506

xplora

hi..

First of all hifivision has been super helpful to me in lot of ways..so kudos to all who are running it and contributing to it.

I got an Onkyo SR506 AV receiver from US last week, I was aware that I would need a 220 - 110 converter / transformer, my issue is that in the manual it says it operates at 110 60hz..while the transformer I got from here locally for Rs. 2,250 is of 1000W and is coverting it to 110 50hz.

Questions:

My problem is, can the Onkyo SR506 (110v 60hz) work with fine with 110v 50hz transformer I have got ?

Has anyone been using something like this ? I read heating / damage issues..googling it..

Can I get a 60hz transformer in India ? From where and what cost ?

Many Thanks in Advance
- Xplora

hi..

First of all hifivision has been super helpful to me in lot of ways..so kudos to all who are running it and contributing to it.

I got an Onkyo SR506 AV receiver from US last week, I was aware that I would need a 220 - 110 converter / transformer, my issue is that in the manual it says it operates at 110 60hz..while the transformer I got from here locally for Rs. 2,250 is of 1000W and is coverting it to 110 50hz.

Questions:

My problem is, can the Onkyo SR506 (110v 60hz) work with fine with 110v 50hz transformer I have got ?

Has anyone been using something like this ? I read heating / damage issues..googling it..

Can I get a 60hz transformer in India ? From where and what cost ?

Many Thanks in Advance
- Xplora

NO you won't find a 60Hz Trasformer off shelves in India. You can get it custom made but that might cost you more than your AVR and some more.

You can use 50 Hz , 220 to 110 V transformer without any problem. Heat , noise (Hum) related issues will come if the trasnformer is cheaply made which happens with most of the 'Off the sheleves' brands, so don't buy those 'Off the Shelve' transformers, they always cheat you on quality as well as ratings.

It is better to get it custom made and it will cost almost the same.

Before placing an order, do calculations for exact VA ratings , it is always better to add some 25%..40% extra as a buffer.

• Insist of CRGO stamping.
  • Double insulation.
  • Good quality copper wire of adequate gauge.
  • Mount the transformer on a sturdy wooden plate.
  • Good quality terminal strip with brass contacts.
In any city you will certainly find small scale operators who make trasformers. Check with guys who are in UPS, Inverters, Voltage stabilizer , Motor rewinding business, they will provide you contact details of any such transformer manufacterer/s in your (or near by) city. Try Yellow pages.

There is one 'Electronics For You magazine' , grab a copy and at the end of the magazine you will find several small advt of Trasformer makers, contact them.

Hope this helps.

I m surprised to know that there is no switch at the back of AVR to select btwin 110 to 220 V.

Spiro, not ALL products have the options to switch between 110 and 220 volts. Some products are made for a particular voltage only. Most US made products do not have 220 volts option.

Cheers

NO you won't find a 60Hz Trasformer off shelves in India. You can get it custom made but that might cost you more than your AVR and some more.

You can use 50 Hz , 220 to 110 V transformer without any problem. Heat , noise (Hum) related issues will come if the trasnformer is cheaply made which happens with most of the 'Off the sheleves' brands, so don't buy those 'Off the Shelve' transformers, they always cheat you on quality as well as ratings.

It is better to get it custom made and it will cost almost the same.

Before placing an order, do calculations for exact VA ratings , it is always better to add some 25%..40% extra as a buffer.

• Insist of CRGO stamping.
  • Double insulation.
  • Good quality copper wire of adequate gauge.
  • Mount the transformer on a sturdy wooden plate.
  • Good quality terminal strip with brass contacts.
In any city you will certainly find small scale operators who make trasformers. Check with guys who are in UPS, Inverters, Voltage stabilizer , Motor rewinding business, they will provide you contact details of any such transformer manufacterer/s in your (or near by) city. Try Yellow pages.

There is one 'Electronics For You magazine' , grab a copy and at the end of the magazine you will find several small advt of Trasformer makers, contact them.

Hope this helps.

Hmm..I thought that would be the case, thanks mate for your help, will pick up an EFY on the way home now ..!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back