Help with Atmos speakers in concrete ceiling

Have you evaluated SVS Prime Elevation speakers?
They are better than Polk OWM3, comes with Multi-Angle Wall/Ceiling mount bracket.
Attached a picture of Ceiling mounted SVS Prime Elevation. Speaker is available in white and black color

Attachments

• SVS Prime Elevation Ceiling Mounted.jpg
    SVS Prime Elevation Ceiling Mounted.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 44
Have you evaluated SVS Prime Elevation speakers?
They are better than Polk OWM3, comes with Multi-Angle Wall/Ceiling mount bracket.
Attached a picture of Ceiling mounted SVS Prime Elevation. Speaker is available in white and black color
Yes they were my 1st choice but it is sold at 45-50k. Those speakers are not worth that much. Sold at double the actual cost

That is MRP, you may get some discount.
If you don't want to spend that much, you may consider Polk OWM3.

You may also explore on other bookshelf speakers which can be ceiling mounted
Bookshelf type speakers are better compare to OWM3, but typically not available with ceiling mount option.

Bookshelf type speakers are better compare to OWM3, but typically not available with ceiling mount option.[/QUOTE

Bookshelf type speakers are better compare to OWM3, but typically not available with ceiling mount option.
even with discounts it’s around 40k which isn’t worth it. Decided to go with Sonus which is very reasonably priced

Hi Sono
How is the Sonus 3540 performance? I have denon 2400 and using Dali zensor 3, zensor vokal nd zensor 1. I want to install some good speakers in my concrete ceiling for atmos. Please suggest me some models along with installation guide for concrete ceiling

Hi sonodyne 3540 is a good speaker .I was using this earlier as Top Middle configuration for 5.2.2 setup with Denon X 2200 . It was very good one for the price . It comes with Speaker bracket to mount it on Ceilng as Sriram mentioned. The only -ve side I have found is it may not exactly match the sound signature of Dali Zensor .So a slight sound signature variation can be obeserved during some Atmos scenes.
Now I have upgraded to Auro3d 10.2 /Atmos 5.2.4 setup . The main front & rear heights wer Dali Alteco .It exactly Timber matches with Zensor. Now The Sonus 3540 is used for Voice of GOD of channel. It does very good for that.
So my point is if u have higher budget look for Dali Alteco (It can also can be mounted on ceiling with an additional Nail/screw) or if u have normal budget then Sonodyne 3540 serves very good for the purpose.
U can see the photos of the speaker in the below thread . The ceiling one is Sonodyne 3540.
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...os-dts-x-5-2-4-setup.72020/page-2#post-797964

If you have wall mountable bookshelves (with wall mounting holes) , but no option to drill the ceiling, you can try this option. Get two cast iron angle brackets like the one shown in this pic. Bend the top end by 90 degrees and insert a screw and nut in the end which should be slightly projeccting out. You can hang your wall mounting speaker in the same
195px-Bracket2_%28PSF%29.jpg

If you have wall mountable bookshelves (with wall mounting holes) , but no option to drill the ceiling, you can try this option. Get two cast iron angle brackets like the one shown in this pic. Bend the top end by 90 degrees and insert a screw and nut in the end which should be slightly projeccting out. You can hang your wall mounting speaker in the same
195px-Bracket2_%28PSF%29.jpg
Thanks this is a good suggestion. But for this I have to install the speakers on the side or rear walls which is not an option for me because of my room conditions. I do however can drill holes in the concrete ceiling and mount speakers

Hi Sono

Hi sonodyne 3540 is a good speaker .I was using this earlier as Top Middle configuration for 5.2.2 setup with Denon X 2200 . It was very good one for the price . It comes with Speaker bracket to mount it on Ceilng as Sriram mentioned. The only -ve side I have found is it may not exactly match the sound signature of Dali Zensor .So a slight sound signature variation can be obeserved during some Atmos scenes.
Now I have upgraded to Auro3d 10.2 /Atmos 5.2.4 setup . The main front & rear heights wer Dali Alteco .It exactly Timber matches with Zensor. Now The Sonus 3540 is used for Voice of GOD of channel. It does very good for that.
So my point is if u have higher budget look for Dali Alteco (It can also can be mounted on ceiling with an additional Nail/screw) or if u have normal budget then Sonodyne 3540 serves very good for the purpose.
U can see the photos of the speaker in the below thread . The ceiling one is Sonodyne 3540.
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...os-dts-x-5-2-4-setup.72020/page-2#post-797964
Hey Ranjith

Thank you for responding to my thread. You have an amazing set up. Could you please tell me we’re in Chennai you purchased the Dali speakers nd sub? What is the sub model and how is the performance? What is the cost of Dali sub nd Dali alteco? And I see that you have not installed the alteco on ceiling.My Denon avr only supports front heights, nd ceiling top, middle set up for Atmos. My room no possibility of front heights, rear and side heights, so only ceiling I.e overhead. Can the Dali alteco be installed over head on a concrete ceiling?
Regards
Navin

@RajithKumar - Out of curiosity I am asking. Will it be easier for his AVR to drive Alteco since it has 83 dB Sensitivity and 6 Ohm Impedance which requires good amount of power to drive them?

Last edited:
@Love4sound

Since you want to get maximum Atmos effect, why not In Ceiling speakers or Car Audio speakers? You can get 3 way ones and install them, Most of these speakers are designed to operate without a cabinet / housing.....

1543565162139.png

1543565344297.png
There are many brands and models.....check out some and decide accordingly.....If you can invest and put a little false ceiling....it will be good....

@Love4sound

Since you want to get maximum Atmos effect, why not In Ceiling speakers or Car Audio speakers? You can get 3 way ones and install them, Most of these speakers are designed to operate without a cabinet / housing.....

View attachment 32039

View attachment 32040
There are many brands and models.....check out some and decide accordingly.....If you can invest and put a little false ceiling....it will be good....
If only I had a false ceiling things will be much simpler. Currently I don’t know if m going to stay here. Based on job I may move so waste of spending money on false ceiling. This way I can relocate at my convenience nd use the current set up we’re ever I go

If only I had a false ceiling things will be much simpler. Currently I don’t know if m going to stay here. Based on job I may move so waste of spending money on false ceiling. This way I can relocate at my convenience nd use the current set up we’re ever I go

If you are on RENT then dont think you may be allowed to drill holes......

Drilling in concrete will be somewhat a challenge.....ceiling needs to hold the weight of the speaker you will put...you dont want it to fall on you....

Here are some speakers based on reflective technology which achieve the same results ......its all about placement and how smooth your ceiling is...

1543572005491.png

1543572119646.png

Drilling in concrete will be somewhat a challenge.....ceiling needs to hold the weight of the speaker you will put...you dont want it to fall on you....

Here are some speakers based on reflective technology which achieve the same results ......its all about placement and how smooth your ceiling is...

View attachment 32050

View attachment 32051
Thanks for all the suggestions but I think the Sonodyne Sonus will be the best choice for now

Hey Ranjith

Thank you for responding to my thread. You have an amazing set up. Could you please tell me we’re in Chennai you purchased the Dali speakers nd sub? What is the sub model and how is the performance? What is the cost of Dali sub nd Dali alteco? And I see that you have not installed the alteco on ceiling.My Denon avr only supports front heights, nd ceiling top, middle set up for Atmos. My room no possibility of front heights, rear and side heights, so only ceiling I.e overhead. Can the Dali alteco be installed over head on a concrete ceiling?
Regards
Navin
Hi !Thank u for your appreciation. I have purchased most of Dali Speakers from Vipul Audio -Chennai .I shall ping you the details.
Dali Alteco can be mounted on ceiling too. U may need to drive an extra Screw adjacent to the speaker ,just to support the slide away of speakers.
Your AVR can drive it ,no problem.I have suggested this since you r using Dali Zensor. Dali Alteco will be around 1.8 to 2 x of Sonodyne. If u have budget ,think it off,otherwise u can stick to Sondyne .Its a very good speaker for the price.

Between Sonus & Dali Alteco ...Alteco wins ...It is versatile speaker ..can be used for surronds /upfiring/heights /ceiling too. Also switch is provided to change the angle of firing . Alteco is baffled at 30degree. If u put on the switch to down mode further 22 degree it will be down . (Means total 52 degree it will down fire ).The soundsignature gels with Zensor.
Sonodyne also got flexible mounting option like wall ,heights ceiling ( special bracket is provided).The soundsignature slightly differ from Zensor.So sometime if u ears are very sensitive ,u may hear the small differences .Otherwise its a very good speaker .Also its price is less comparatively.
Hope I may cleared your doubt .The choice is yours.

Between Sonus & Dali Alteco ...Alteco wins ...It is versatile speaker ..can be used for surronds /upfiring/heights /ceiling too. Also switch is provided to change the angle of firing . Alteco is baffled at 30degree. If u put on the switch to down mode further 22 degree it will be down . (Means total 52 degree it will down fire ).The soundsignature gels with Zensor.
Sonodyne also got flexible mounting option like wall ,heights ceiling ( special bracket is provided).The soundsignature slightly differ from Zensor.So sometime if u ears are very sensitive ,u may hear the small differences .Otherwise its a very good speaker .Also its price is less comparatively.
Hope I may cleared your doubt .The choice is yours.
Thanks for all your inputs. Without comparing with Dali just how good is the sonus. I can manage the sound variations cause I am already used to it with my Polk subwoofer it doesn’t match well with the dali’s . But want to know if I will get quality sound effects clearly from above with the Sonus.

Thanks for all your inputs. Without comparing with Dali just how good is the sonus. I can manage the sound variations cause I am already used to it with my Polk subwoofer it doesn’t match well with the dali’s . But want to know if I will get quality sound effects clearly from above with the Sonus.
Yes Sonus does a very good job . I have compared mounting Sonus in Front heights & Top Middle (On ceiling ) .Out of this Top Middle configuration was fantastic. Follow the spec of Atmos For Top Mddle -It should be mounted 65 degree to 100 degree from your Main Listening Position (MLP) .If your mounting 5.1.4 setup then follow 30 to 55 degree on either side from your MLP.Check the Figure Attached.
Good luck!!!

Attachments

• Top Middle config.PNG
    Top Middle config.PNG
    105.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 5.1.4 Atmos.PNG
    5.1.4 Atmos.PNG
    95.8 KB · Views: 46
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back