HEOS: an Alternative for Streamers

druk2004

Friends,

I am exploring some options for streamers (w/wo DACs).

I have a HEOS capable Denon Receiver, so thought of exploring HEOS to play music from online sources like Amazon Music, Tidal etc.

To my amazement !! The HEOS experience is excellent !! Now I am not very convinced whether I should look for streamer options !! Quite happy with HEOS !!

If you have HEOS capable receivers from Denon or Marantz, would strongly suggest to give this a try !!

Cheers
Roy

Friends,

I am exploring some options for streamers (w/wo DACs).

I have a HEOS capable Denon Receiver, so thought of exploring HEOS to play music from online sources like Amazon Music, Tidal etc.

To my amazement !! The HEOS experience is excellent !! Now I am not very convinced whether I should look for streamer options !! Quite happy with HEOS !!

If you have HEOS capable receivers from Denon or Marantz, would strongly suggest to give this a try !!

Cheers
Roy
How is HEOS different from any other proprietary wireless music streaming?? What benefits does it bring over the existing. is it a universal protocol, I don’t think so. But thanks for sharing your experience.

How is HEOS different from any other proprietary wireless music streaming?? What benefits does it bring over the existing. is it a universal protocol, I don’t think so. But thanks for sharing your experience.
Its not different from standard music streaming but how you do the streaming is much simpler.
These I feel are the advantages of HEOS:
1. You can control variety of music subscriptions (Amazon, Deezer, Tidal, Pandora etc. ) using one App i.e. HEOS App
2. You get access to rich content like FLAC from these streaming services. Create playlists spread across multiple subscriptions
3. The content is directly accessed by the DAC inside the receiver ... so there is no need of external streamers/players and connections like TOSLink, HDMI, Coaxial from a dedicated streamer or CD player etc. "Less of connectivity headaches"

I use the HEOS app all the time with my Marantz network amp. Its quite a clean interface.
What I like is that where there is a native app, it jumps to that. So when I listen to Spotify, I use the Spotigy app, or for Amamzon muisc, I use the Prime Music app.

Basically need the HEOS app to :
- control the amp (select source etc)
- play from USB attached to the amp

I have excercise different streaming options to stream Tidal music.
1. Built-in HEOS app through Denon/Marantz avr
2. Native Tidal Desktop app on Windows. Laptop connected to avr through HDMI.
3. Android Tidal app on Sony TV. Tidal streaming through ARC.
4. Tidal on Ipad/iphone (iOS) and directly connected to avr through Denon AVR USB port.
5. Tidal through third party app mConnect on Android/iOS device and streaming to avr through DLNA
6. Tidal through third party app Bubbleupnp on Android device and streaming Tidal to avr through DLNA
7. Tidal through third party app Roon on Windows Laptop and connected through HDMI
8. Tidal through third party app USB Audio Player Pro on Android device and connected through Schiit modi 3 external DAC.
9. Tidal on iOS devices connected through Airplay
10. Tidal on Android device connected through Bluetooth
Each option have it's own avantages considering sound quality, user interface, accebility, easy in use etc..

1. Tidal through third party app USB Audio Player Pro on Android device connected through external DAC schiit modi 3 has the best possible sound quality with more refined and articulated sound. Micro dynamic and details comes on foreground with tight and agile bass. Vocal seems to be little forward. UAPP unfold MQA upto 24bit/96kz which is itself added avantage. Music seems to be dynamiclly rich and powerful with little wide soundstage.
User interface is good but not great. Rs.600 for Android app and MQA docoder. Requirs external DAC to explore full potential . Easy to access and convinent in use. Can be connected through Bluetooth at the cost of sound quality. App has it's own issues like network ,DAC connectivity, bugs, hangs, not available for iOS, Windows etc.
2. Tidal through "Roon" or Native Desktop app with external DAC...
Second best sound quality with little compromise on refinement and subtle details . Hardly noticeable on AVR but with external PA you may feel it. Great user interface, Roon is costly but Tidal native app is free. Getting subscription and Installation of app is little tedious and needs guidence from senior FM. Needs Laptop and external DAC. Both apps functions smoothly.
3. Tidal through " Roon " and Desktop app without external DAC....
Noticeable difference in sound quality compare to earlier options due to AVR dac. Loss of agility in bass and subtle details etc. Avantages and disadvantages similar to option 2 with no need of external DAC.
3. Tidal through mConnect app and DLNA...
Above average sound quality and very good for money we pay. mConnect lite is free but regulaur mConnect app with more features cost Rs.600/-. Easy to access and convinent to use. User interface is ok but not good. App has it's own problem like network/DLNA connectivity and compatiblity,bugs ,hangs . Lite version unfold MQA upto 24bit/48khz.
Remaining options stream music at resolution of 16bit/44.01 Khz due to limitation of OS, App or device itself.

I Have installed HEOS app on iOS , For Marantz 8015.
I am not finding an option to add TIDAL why ? BTW I am able to Connect / Stream to Marantz 8015 via TIDAL Native app very Easily.

BTW, I had a notion that further support and development of HEOS is going to be discontinued, is it true ?
I always thought its a halfhearted attempt to ape the Success of SONOS .
HEOS being Discontinued

I am not finding an option to add TIDAL why ? BTW I am able to Connect / Stream to Marantz 8015 via TIDAL Native app very Easily.
May be it's because Tidal not being officially available in India. Someone in here mentioned about changing AVR region.

BTW, I had a notion that further support and development of HEOS is going to be discontinued, is it true ?
HEOS being Discontinued
Seems HEOS is not being discontinued. What I understand is previously Speakers/Systems were branded as HEOS, the products are being rebranded as Denon and HEOS being continued as technology built-in to Denon/Marantz products.

HEOS being Discontinued
Earlier HEOS was a lifestyle sub brand for hardwares under DM Holdings. Now that is being discontinued and HEOS branded speakers and amplifiers are rebranded as their Denon equivalents.
The HEOS app continues as usual. It's a very simple app. Although lots of people hate it, I don't see anything wrong with it.
But to play Spotify on Denon or Marantz systems, it's not absolutely necessary. You can play them natively as well with Spotify Connect feature. Otherwise it helps aggregating all music apps, USB and phone storage on one single page. That's all.

HEOS being Discontinued
In your HEOS login, select country as US ... and Tidal etc. will show up !!

Is there need to change country to get Tidal on HEOS app. Just try this before that...
Music => setting => Music sources => online music and select Tidal from there. It will appears on HEOS.
You first need to create HEOS account and login HEOS through AVR.
This works in my case...Marantz NR1608

HEOS being Discontinued
Using HEOS with my Android phone.

I have Tidal available in my HEOS app but I cant seem to play TIDAL on my Denon DRA 800H via the Tidal app. It only identifies my NVIDIA Shield ..Cant get Tidal to play natively via its app on my Denon.

HEOS App is good and provide a single place for the Music streaming even including music files stored in mobile storage. But, with HEOS App, playing music from Amazon Music brings in loads of restriction like song selection, search etc. If I want to select some songs, I create some playlist in amazon music App and then come here to HEOS to play it back. Any feedback on this?

Just an off topic, I have a silly question to ask. Can I directly connect my mobile to my Denon AVR using 3.5mm cable (may be using 3.5mm to RCA)? I doubt the volume will be low. Reason for asking is, I want to play music from my mobile ( amazon music and Jet Audio player) on my AVR. Any thoughts?

Can I directly connect my mobile to my Denon AVR using 3.5mm cable (may be using 3.5mm to RCA)?
Yes, you can, depending on the phone model, sound fidelity may change. Also, you may use the Pure/Pure Direct mode to avoid double conversion of the signal for Auddesy processing. It's totally upto you.

Yes, you can, depending on the phone model, sound fidelity may change. Also, you may use the Pure/Pure Direct mode to avoid double conversion of the signal for Auddesy processing. It's totally upto you.
thank you. One more quick question. Which port would be right one to connect? Cable TV Audio Port? If I need to add to a Pre-Amp for better Audio output, any suggestions?

thank you. One more quick question. Which port would be right one to connect? Cable TV Audio Port? If I need to add to a Pre-Amp for better Audio output, any suggestions?
It will go to media port, you need a RCA (M) to 3.5mm type cable in case you are connecting your ph.

If you install usb audio pro app in phone , u can connect phone to usb external dac which works on many phone models- thereby making use of native apps. U will get better SQ than using analogue output of mobile ph.
(Mentioned in post no5 of this thread)

If you install usb audio pro app in phone , u can connect phone to usb external dac which works on many phone models- thereby making use of native apps. U will get better SQ than using analogue output of mobile ph.
(Mentioned in post no5 of this thread)
Thanks for the suggestion Rajesh. But, looks like UAPP support only in-app playback which doesn't include Amazon music app. Either Spotify/Tidel only supported. Of course it provide better SQ compared to native playback. but, this is not 100% meeting my requirement. I think I need to stay back to HEOS app on Wi-Fi network to playback Prime and Spotify free, untill I get a Network streamer, when budget allow me to do it. Mine is a bit outdated mobile with Android 8. My HEOS app getting hung or crash sometimes and I wasn't sure if this is due to older version of Android or phone capacity. I should plan a mobile upgrade and check the app's response.

Agree.
Uapp don't support Amazon music.
Though I have Amazon music subscription, I listen to tidal , qobuz, Spotify on my denon player mainly due to SQ.
(Qobuz thru mconnect app).
Just on primephonic trial .(very good app for western classical. It has a dedicated section for instrumental music ).
BTW my denon heos never gave any trouble. I found it very stable when compared to volumio.

Cheers

Agree.
Uapp don't support Amazon music.
Though I have Amazon music subscription, I listen to tidal , qobuz, Spotify on my denon player mainly due to SQ.
(Qobuz thru mconnect app).
Just on primephonic trial .(very good app for western classical. It has a dedicated section for instrumental music ).
BTW my denon heos never gave any trouble. I found it very stable when compared to volumio.

Cheers
How you are streaming the music from your mobile to AVR or speaker?

Heos app for tidal , Spotify, Amazon music.
Mconnect for qobuz .
Tidal thru mconnect sounds same as heos app. Only thing switch off the mconnect stops the music.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back