Hey guys..Need some help regarding BREAK IN perioid

Karanboochra

Hey guys..
Just got a Sony EX400 32" LCD...
I want answers to some questions ..please help me with them -

1.) Do LCD's have break in PERIOD , like plasmas?
2.) I just got it today, so can i connect it to a laptop/PC via VGA and watch movies on it?
3.) It is on Vivid Mode right now, should i change it to STANDARD Mode or something?

I want to watch movies on it via vga ( laptop ) and play xbox 360 on it..Can i do this on the first day?

Thank you :)

Congrats!

1) LCDs do not require a break-in.
2) Yes, go ahead and play with your new toy.
3) Stay in Standard or Movie/Cinema preset. Will give you much better picture. You can adjust to suit your taste.

Watch movies, play xbox from first minute. No issues. Enjoy.

BTW..I can't get a perfect clear signal from VGA..There are some horizontal disturbance..Tried tightening the VGA Adapter ..But its not helping..
Please help!

Last edited:

BTW..I can't get a perfect clear signal from VGA..There are some horizontal disturbance..Tried tightening the VGA Adapter ..But its not helping..
Please help!

VGA cannot handle FullHD (1080p)... if your laptop has HDMI or DVI then use that to connect to LCD.. HDMI can carry audio as well :)

Please help!

Ensure that you have set the right resolution in your PC. By right resolution, I mean the native resolution of your TV. (Note that TVs do support multiple resolution but has one native resolution. Refer the manual for other resolution) And the native resolution for your TV is 1920 x 1080. At this resolution, you would get the best PQ.
If you still see the issue, ensure that the refresh rate is set to the maximum allowed by your TV(which you can find in the manual)

As far as I know, LCDs do not have a break-in period. But if I go with the LG manual I got, it says not to display a static image for more than 2 hours for their LCD and otherwise you might get a IR :lol:

Last edited:
VGA cannot handle FullHD (1080p)... if your laptop has HDMI or DVI then use that to connect to LCD.. HDMI can carry audio as well :)

Is it a limitation on LCDs(or lower end LCDs)?
I can do it on my Plasma. I mean, I have connected it via VGA and have set the resolution on my laptop as 1920x1080. The display is crisp and the TV also shows signal as 1920x1080. Also the TV manual says it can do 1920x1080.

I can do it on my Plasma. I mean, I have connected it via VGA and have set the resolution on my laptop as 1920x1080. The display is crisp and the TV also shows signal as 1920x1080. Also the TV manual says it can do 1920x1080.

Did you compare VGA against HDMI/DVI?
VGA is analog and subject to distortion.. whereas HDMI/DVI are digital..

My laptop has both VGA and HDMI..and my plasma is 720p..
Although VGA can handle 720p resolution but it is not as clear as HDMI..

Did you compare VGA against HDMI/DVI?
VGA is analog and subject to distortion.. whereas HDMI/DVI are digital..

My laptop has both VGA and HDMI..and my plasma is 720p..
Although VGA can handle 720p resolution but it is not as clear as HDMI..

OK. Got it. When you said VGA cannot handle 1080p I got confused. So what you mean is the PQ would be better in case of a HDMI/DVI. I do not have DVI/HDMI and hence do not know the magnitude of improvement. But I could watch a 1080p movie without any problem. May be HDMI will me better. Thanks for the clarification.

1.) Do LCD's have break in PERIOD , like plasmas?
2.) I just got it today, so can i connect it to a laptop/PC via VGA and watch movies on it?
3.) It is on Vivid Mode right now, should i change it to STANDARD Mode or something?

I want to watch movies on it via vga ( laptop ) and play xbox 360 on it..Can i do this on the first day?
See what you like. Personally, Vivid doesn't appeal to me. I keep my LCD on Standard. I dislike the look that 'Cinema Mode' gives. Dark and yellow-ish.

Perhaps someone else can clarify - I don't think Plasma's need "break-in". I've read in other forums that it's only required if you plan to calibrate your TV.

Same....Have set the resolution of the Laptop to 1920 X 1080..

Also... When i switch between Tata Sky , Laptop and Xbox, there are some Moving thin black lines..
Suppose, i start my TV on tata sky and switch to laptop, sometimes it gives some thin black moving lines...but if i switch back to tata sky, there are no black lines in it..
I am talking about those black greyish lines which are caused when wires are loose ...

What is the problem? I am thinking it has something to do with the refresh rates being different in all the 3 Hardwares...

Also... The problem goes away after restarting the LCD TV..

Same....Have set the resolution of the Laptop to 1920 X 1080..

Also... When i switch between Tata Sky , Laptop and Xbox, there are some Moving thin black lines..
Suppose, i start my TV on tata sky and switch to laptop, sometimes it gives some thin black moving lines...but if i switch back to tata sky, there are no black lines in it..
I am talking about those black greyish lines which are caused when wires are loose ...

What is the problem? I am thinking it has something to do with the refresh rates being different in all the 3 Hardwares...

Also... The problem goes away after restarting the LCD TV..

To the best of my knowledge, a mismatch in refresh rate causes the whole screen to flicker instead of visible lines. If the refresh rate is below 70 you can make it out.
If you could post a pic, may be we can make a better suggestion.

Try this :
In the settings panel of your TV, set the settings to Automatic. (As I do not know the menu struture of Sony, I cannot guide you exactly. But refer the section "Connecting to PC" in the User manual). If Automatic mode does not work, try manual and set the settings same as that you have set in the PC. The settings you need to set are the resolution and refresh rate.

Make sure that the cables are properly inserted.

Other possible problem could be in your laptop's graphics driver. Try reinstalling it.

LCDs are almost always @60hz. Dunno if using 70hz will damage it....

Sent from my iPod touch

Ya ..I guess there is some mismatch in the refresh rates of the 3 hardwares..
Ill try the automatic settings..

BTW, When the TV starts...A black screen comes with SONY written on it..at that point, i can see 3 or 4 black vertical lines in the left side of the lcd..they only show when i am really really close to the TV and when there is some dark picture playing ( mostly black )...
Whats the problem?

BTW, When the TV starts...A black screen comes with SONY written on it..at that point, i can see 3 or 4 black vertical lines in the left side of the lcd..they only show when i am really really close to the TV and when there is some dark picture playing ( mostly black )...

If you could see those lines for other source(non-pc), I would let the experts here comment on it.

They are only visible in BLACK levels and when viewed from very close ...

I would highly recommend that you post some pics about the same and get expert advice. (You can count on recommendation from Adder here; he would also suggest you a path ahead). In case it is a fault in Panel/electronics, better get your TV replaced. Depending on the company policy the initial few days you are eligible for a complete replacement and later only a free repair. So get this resolved before your replacement time wears of. The later you report the issue the more like it will be treated as usage fault rather than manufacturing defect.

I would have been worried even if one pixel wont turn ON. Still graze at my TV every night before turning it off ;)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back