Hi all, I am new to this forum and require your valuable suggestions

Venkatesh J

I'm planning to set up a new HT at my living room and my budget would be around 80 - 85 k and not more than that.

Please suggest a good product combination.

1. AVR
2. Tower Speakers along with Centre & Surround Speakers
3. Active Sub Woofer.

Thanks,

Venkatesh J

I'm planning to set up a new HT at my living room and my budget would be around 80 - 85 k and not more than that.

If you are not looking beyond 5.1 set-up, you can comfortably do it with in your budget..

Dual subs are better in a room.. So consider getting book shelf (BS) speakers with one sub woofer now and add an other identical 2nd sub later..

Look at brands where you can complete a full 5.1 set-up with in your budget (Taga Harmony TAV series, Platinum series & Mission)..

Try to avoid audition if you can, buy online (works really cheaper) and start putting them together..

If you are not looking beyond 5.1 set-up, you can comfortably do it with in your budget..

Dual subs are better in a room.. So consider getting book shelf (BS) speakers with one sub woofer now and add an other identical 2nd sub later..

Look at brands where you can complete a full 5.1 set-up with in your budget (Taga Harmony TAV series, Platinum series & Mission)..

Try to avoid audition if you can, buy online (works really cheaper) and start putting them together..
Thanks a lot...

That's a big room and you need good amplifiers/ speakers with high SPL to fill the room. Can you post some pictures?

Taga Harmony package would work but you would need to up the budget at least by another 50-75K to get an AVR and Sub to fill the room. Entry level AVRs might not be able to handle the volume in long run. Also for your room size, you would need a sub which has at least 10 inch driver. Many out here are likely to recommend two sub woofers. This alone would need special allocation of budget!!
It would be good if you go for mid-variants of AVR Denon X3400 or Marantz SR5012/13. Please audition as much as possible to know what kind of speakers you like (bright or warm).

I do not want to scar/e you but if you try to fit into the budget, then you would have to upgrade soon, as entry level setups are not going to justify 21 X 21 space. The subs that are part of 5.1 packages are generally low powered and meant for rooms that are much smaller than yours.

If you want to live with a setup that would keep you happy for 3-5 years, this is what I would suggest:
Decent Sub ~ 50(single SW) -70K (double SW)
5.0 TAGA 606SE ~ 32K
AVR ~ 70K (with warranty and GST bill)
I see an outlay of at least 1.75L without considering a source (HTPC or blu ray player) and just looking at a setup meant for HT alone.

Try to put in answers for these questions (get answers from the family as well) and set the goal that you intend to achieve:
  1. Is 85K a strict stopping point in terms of budget? Do you have hidden budget ;-) ? If you have any surplus to allocate, would your family approve of it? The spouses have uncanny knack of reminding the spend on audio systems every time you refuse/ postpone shopping item of their choice. Would this money better spent somewhere else? I bought a pair of premium bookshelves but ended up selling them as they do not
  2. After you invest almost a lac, you would start worrying about power fluctations and then think of power conditioners, stabilizers, inverters etc. Would you be scale up to these demands?
  3. what purpose are you going to use HT for? Movies alone? or TV as well? How important is the 5.1 experience to you? Some of the FMs here clock many hours in HT. If you belong to this clan, then it is justified.
  4. Do you need an audiophile music listening setup as well? If yes, then you might have to up the budget for the speakers. If not, Taga would serve you well.
  5. Would you be okay to live with just a stereo system instead of surround? If you are not a HT buff, even good stereo system can deliver the content without much shortfall. As a bonus, you will have exhilarating listening experience. However, Stereo set ups come with their own problems. The speakers would demand 2-3 feet space around them as if they are some deities in the temple. Your room is likely to command that speakers are placed 5-7 feet into the room get the 3D imaging of stereo. But, if you have toddlers or irate teens as kids at home, speakers are at risk.
  6. Is your room apt for HT? While many crave for HT, we end up compromising on speaker position because of multiple objects in the living room - passages, windows, show cases etc. If you cannot position the speakers appropriately, then it is better to go for a stereo. It is easier to place two speakers than five.
Audition as much as possible before placing orders.

Venkatesh J

Hello Venkatesh,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for joining!
All the best with your equipment search .

Regards.

That's a big room and you need good amplifiers/ speakers with high SPL to fill the room. Can you post some pictures?

Taga Harmony package would work but you would need to up the budget at least by another 50-75K to get an AVR and Sub to fill the room. Entry level AVRs might not be able to handle the volume in long run. Also for your room size, you would need a sub which has at least 10 inch driver. Many out here are likely to recommend two sub woofers. This alone would need special allocation of budget!!
It would be good if you go for mid-variants of AVR Denon X3400 or Marantz SR5012/13. Please audition as much as possible to know what kind of speakers you like (bright or warm).

I do not want to scar/e you but if you try to fit into the budget, then you would have to upgrade soon, as entry level setups are not going to justify 21 X 21 space. The subs that are part of 5.1 packages are generally low powered and meant for rooms that are much smaller than yours.

If you want to live with a setup that would keep you happy for 3-5 years, this is what I would suggest:
5.0 TAGA 606SE ~ 32K
I see an outlay of at least 1.75L without considering a source (HTPC or blu ray player) and just looking at a setup meant for HT alone.

Try to put in answers for these questions (get answers from the family as well) and set the goal that you intend to achieve:
  1. Is 85K a strict stopping point in terms of budget? Do you have hidden budget ;-) ? If you have any surplus to allocate, would your family approve of it? The spouses have uncanny knack of reminding the spend on audio systems every time you refuse/ postpone shopping item of their choice. Would this money better spent somewhere else? I bought a pair of premium bookshelves but ended up selling them as they do not
  2. After you invest almost a lac, you would start worrying about power fluctations and then think of power conditioners, stabilizers, inverters etc. Would you be scale up to these demands?
  3. what purpose are you going to use HT for? Movies alone? or TV as well? How important is the 5.1 experience to you? Some of the FMs here clock many hours in HT. If you belong to this clan, then it is justified.
  4. Do you need an audiophile music listening setup as well? If yes, then you might have to up the budget for the speakers. If not, Taga would serve you well.
  5. Would you be okay to live with just a stereo system instead of surround? If you are not a HT buff, even good stereo system can deliver the content without much shortfall. As a bonus, you will have exhilarating listening experience. However, Stereo set ups come with their own problems. The speakers would demand 2-3 feet space around them as if they are some deities in the temple. Your room is likely to command that speakers are placed 5-7 feet into the room get the 3D imaging of stereo. But, if you have toddlers or irate teens as kids at home, speakers are at risk.
  6. Is your room apt for HT? While many crave for HT, we end up compromising on speaker position because of multiple objects in the living room - passages, windows, show cases etc. If you cannot position the speakers appropriately, then it is better to go for a stereo. It is easier to place two speakers than five.
First of all thanks a lot for your detailed revert. Really impressed....

1. HT Setup is my child hood dream and now there is a space to full fill it.
2. Yes my Budget restricts at 85 K and as you correctly said beyond that it is difficult to convince my family.
3. Major usage would be watching TV, Youtube streaming, Weekend Movies, Songs (will be 70%) and to relax with some games.
4. Living room is opt for HT Setup.

5.0 TAGA 606SE ~ 32K

First of all thanks a lot for your wonderful detailed revert.....

1. HT set up is my childhood dream and now there is a space to full fill it.
2. Yes my budget restricts to 85 K and as you rightly said it's tough to convince my family to fix more than this.
3. Mainly I will be using to watcting TV, listening songs, you tube streaming and to relax with games.
4. Yes my room is opt for HT Setup.

Thanks,

Venkatesh J

First of all thanks a lot for your detailed revert. Really impressed....

1. HT Setup is my child hood dream and now there is a space to full fill it.
2. Yes my Budget restricts at 85 K and as you correctly said beyond that it is difficult to convince my family.
3. Major usage would be watching TV, Youtube streaming, Weekend Movies, Songs (will be 70%) and to relax with some games.
4. Living room is opt for HT Setup.
The Forum is full of helpful members. @elangoas and @efernand1 are going to be most useful for your requirement. I am just giving my views from financial point of view as this is a hobby where we would leak money without knowing it. When you are short of funds, it is better to save up and invest in right gears.

85K would not justify your room. Slightly push it up to 1L.
My Suggestion:
https://www.hifimart.com/package-de.../taga-harmony-tav-606-se-speaker-package.html (32K)
https://www.hifimart.com/electronics/av-receiver/marantz-sr-5012-av-receiver.html (79K but this would be lesser if you talk directly to dealer or distributor).

Hold off on subwoofer. Audition as many HT setups as possible. Take a plunge after listening to the set ups many times.

@Venkatesh J if music is 70%, I would get a stereo setup rather than a home theater. Although you can get a decent 5.1 setup, it cannot compete with a stereo setup when it comes to music. 85k will get you a much better sounding stereo system than a home theater. In the end do audition before you make any purchase.

Hello Venkatesh,

Since you are more into music, go for a stereo setup but with an AVR. So buy a decent AVR like Marantz 5012 or yamaha v585 and buy two tower speakers for now something like Dali zensor5 or Mission Lx5.

Later, add surrounds and Sub in the end. Since these AVRs support Atmos you can add them too in the future (when upgrade bugs hits you :))

You can also go for preowned bookshelf speakers to use them as surrounds just keep an eye on this forum and you might get an awesome deal.

@elangoas and @efernand1 are going to be most useful for your requirement.

Thanks for the kind words.. So are you with detailed inputs and so are others..

For such a large room, with a 5.1 AVR, he may be hitting the reference volume more often than others.. Given his budget limitations, there isn't much he can do.. Also depends on how far is listening position is from the speakers..

Room size us 21x21

That is large room.. Approx, how far would you sit away from the speakers?..

Thanks... Room size us 21x21

Welcome to the forum.

Don't even think about filling that entire room size in your budget. However you can always limit your listening to an area in the 21x21 room.
Start at one free corner and measure about 15 feet and then have a partition. The depth of 21 feet will not matter much as you can keep your listening distance closer, say at around 7 to 10 feet.
Rest of the space behind your listening spot could be problematic and echoey and you may choose to have some furniture there.

All I say is that 21x21 does not mean you have to use the entire space. Demarcate it.

Regarding equipment, it is too subjective. Since your use is 70% for music, invest well in the front speakers (bookshelf will fit your budget), you can go for cheaper surrounds, but get a decent quality center speaker as well as almost 90% of information, especially dialogues are routed through the center channel in movies.
Start with AVR for common duty and later get a good stereo amp for music.

The Forum is full of helpful members. @elangoas and @efernand1 are going to be most useful for your requirement. I am just giving my views from financial point of view as this is a hobby where we would leak money without knowing it. When you are short of funds, it is better to save up and invest in right gears.

85K would not justify your room. Slightly push it up to 1L.
My Suggestion:
https://www.hifimart.com/package-de.../taga-harmony-tav-606-se-speaker-package.html (32K)
https://www.hifimart.com/electronics/av-receiver/marantz-sr-5012-av-receiver.html (79K but this would be lesser if you talk directly to dealer or distributor).

Hold off on subwoofer. Audition as many HT setups as possible. Take a plunge after listening to the set ups many times.
Thanks and it sounds good and SW can be decided once I pool funds.

Is Taga 606 SE sounds better comparing other Polk T50 or JBL Arena 170

Thanks / Venkatesh J

@Venkatesh J if music is 70%, I would get a stereo setup rather than a home theater. Although you can get a decent 5.1 setup, it cannot compete with a stereo setup when it comes to music. 85k will get you a much better sounding stereo system than a home theater. In the end do audition before you make any purchase.
Thanks plz suggest it.

Hello Venkatesh,

Since you are more into music, go for a stereo setup but with an AVR. So buy a decent AVR like Marantz 5012 or yamaha v585 and buy two tower speakers for now something like Dali zensor5 or Mission Lx5.

Later, add surrounds and Sub in the end. Since these AVRs support Atmos you can add them too in the future (when upgrade bugs hits you :))

You can also go for preowned bookshelf speakers to use them as surrounds just keep an eye on this forum and you might get an awesome deal.
Thanks and seems very useful....

Thanks for the kind words.. So are you with detailed inputs and so are others..

For such a large room, with a 5.1 AVR, he may be hitting the reference volume more often than others.. Given his budget limitations, there isn't much he can do.. Also depends on how far is listening position is from the speakers..

That is large room.. Approx, how far would you sit away from the speakers?..
Thanks and approx 15ft

Welcome to the forum.

Don't even think about filling that entire room size in your budget. However you can always limit your listening to an area in the 21x21 room.
Start at one free corner and measure about 15 feet and then have a partition. The depth of 21 feet will not matter much as you can keep your listening distance closer, say at around 7 to 10 feet.
Rest of the space behind your listening spot could be problematic and echoey and you may choose to have some furniture there.

All I say is that 21x21 does not mean you have to use the entire space. Demarcate it.

Regarding equipment, it is too subjective. Since your use is 70% for music, invest well in the front speakers (bookshelf will fit your budget), you can go for cheaper surrounds, but get a decent quality center speaker as well as almost 90% of information, especially dialogues are routed through the center channel in movies.
Start with AVR for common duty and later get a good stereo amp for music.
Thanks... Yes my listening distance is approx 15 to 16 ft and will check rest others.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back