Hi Fi budget and age - what is the correlation?

What is your age and what is your budget?

• I am less than 20 and I have 10k budget

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I am less than 20, but I have 2+ lakh budget

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am 30-35 and have a budget of 1 lakh

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I am 30-35 and have a budget of 5+ lakh

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I am 35-45 and have a budget of 1 lakh

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I am 35-45 and have a budget of 5+ lakhs

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I am 45-60 and have a budget of 1 lakh

• I am 45-60 have a budget of 5+ lakh

• I am 20-30 have a budget of 1+ lakh

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I am 20-30 have a budget of 5+ lakh

• Total voters

anm

I am 32 years old and I have a miniature budget. I was wondering if I am the most low budget person around, and how do people manage to afford those "hi-fi" systems. Will I ever be able to own one?

Though budget has a better correlation with earnings, yours or your dad's, I am just curious how is our hifivision spread across age groups and hi fi budget. Include the amount already spent on existing system, and amount ready to spend in neat future.

I hope this thread of mine doesn't start any controversy!

Edit - This budget should EXCLUDE displays. Only for sound systems, and leaning more towards stereo/ music application than ht.
Sorry I forgot the 20-30 range. Requesting moderators to add it, I do not know how to edit poll options.

regards

Edit Again - oh, by the way, this line from "Gran Turino" was very reassuring : Man builds all this over 50 years!

Last edited:
hey anm ....from your video setup, i can see that your overall budget is not miniature at all :).

I am 27 and I can easily claim to have a smaller budget than you, and a poorer equipment rack :) i perhaps have the poorest equipment rack among the more regular of the posters on these forums.

I am 32 years old and I have a miniature budget. I was wondering if I am the most low budget person around, and how do people manage to afford those "hi-fi" systems. Will I ever be able to own one?

Though budget has a better correlation with earnings, yours or your dad's, I am just curious how is our hifivision spread across age groups and hi fi budget. Include the amount already spent on existing system, and amount ready to spend in neat future.

I hope this thread of mine doesn't start any controversy!

regards

I am 30 (also 0.5) years old...and my wallet is always with my wife. My current conf is Denon AVR 2308, Pio DV 600 (upgrade from Pio 676 bought from SGP), HTiB Speakers (upgrading to WF soon..my wife still not ready to give me money for this), Samsung 29" CRT (1080i,100Hz)
Total Spent: Around 90K.

For Wharfe: I need at least 35 K, and unfortunately I have no money with me!!

I don't recall when was I 27!
I think I was looking for a great headphone within 500 at that time.

regards

hey anm ....from your video setup, i can see that your overall budget is not miniature at all :).

I am 27 and I can easily claim to have a smaller budget than you, and a poorer equipment rack :) i perhaps have the poorest equipment rack among the more regular of the posters on these forums.

I have the money and wallet with me, but my wife thinks I am already mad, and even if doesn't keep my wallet, she has enough powers to control me. I think we will discuss this in another thread ;)

She has asked me what I wanted this year on b'day, and before I could say "speaker" she said whatever you want in 2k budget!!!

don't know how to edit the poll options. Pls choose the one closest to you.
Mr moderator, can you please come to our rescue?
regards

Sorry Anm, but I am not sure what is purpose of this survey.

Moreover how can take for granted that if you are older you have more budget?
And is this excluding display/ monitor/ TVs ?

If couldn't find my slot. Age high and less budget!!:eek:hyeah:

hehe my wife is very co-operative. she encouraged me to take the budget leap of going for a 42" plasma instead of a 32" LCD, and i conned her into getting me the Audioengine 2s as our anniversary gift :) (and i also conned her into getting me a PS2 for my birthday)....and that's about all my equipment rack constists of (oh yeah, a Sony NS708 DVD player)

oh pyschotropic..quite true. Even my wife has no objection when I told her that perhaps we must upgrade to a better display..maybe a plasma. And she was the one to suggest a 40-42"..and I knew instantly that now I would have to sit and watch daily sops (saas bahu) with her!!

Well i fall in the 20-30 category... and spent all my money saved from onsite trips on my HT equipment :)

Onkyo3100, PV8,Sony NS78H=20000+60000+4000=84000

and later on added CADV99=13000/Wharefedale 8.3 FS=15000/ and few cables = 6000

most of my moolah is spent on buying audio cds and DVDs, didnt exactly count but approximately 1Lakh for dvds and about 40k for audio cds.

I would say i would fall under the 20-30 - 1 Lakh group.

Cheers
Sushanth

P.S- more than me my wife keeps a count of all the stuff i buy and i have to equally compensate it for her :)

Last edited:
Hello Anm,
interesting topic. Are you a experimental psychologist by any chance I used to a work with a bunch of psychologist they used to have this kind of questions. I guess if you want to generate a deent sample size first of all you have to separate your poulation into married and non married category. It is obvious that after marriage all the budgets are joint decisions and hardly refelcts individual preference. so if you do a regression either you incoroporate a dummy variable of married status or you just run regression on two different samples. Just a thought. :clapping:
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

hey what about the 20-30 age group - where are we relegated to ???

BTW can we have a group that says 20-30 and no limit :yahoo: - i did not have any budget for a hi fi setup 1 year back.;)

So Far I've spent 55K. Everything else above this will be based on my personal conviction that the SQ is worth it. Never on consumer instinct or shopping mania.

for ex: I am auditioning a single driver speaker at home, and considering it. But it is purely because I got a chance to audition it at home and am impressed with it enough to want it. Not because I am in the mood for shopping.

Regards

No I am not a psychologist though my wife thinks I am a gadetoholic psycho! :yahoo:

Hello Anm,
interesting topic. Are you a experimental psychologist by any chance I used to a work with a bunch of psychologist they used to have this kind of questions. Thanks,
Mahiruha.

the day I have crossed 30, I have started feeling very old. I don't even recall how was my 20s :) and in my world, I don't even know if 20s is an age group :D
Sorry I forgot those options in my poll. Have requested the mod to add them. I am sure dealers out here can sharpen their marketing strategies and PM people based on the budget posted here. Therefore I have kept the voting private. :eek:hyeah:

hey what about the 20-30 age group - where are we relegated to ???

BTW can we have a group that says 20-30 and no limit :yahoo: - i did not have any budget for a hi fi setup 1 year back.;)

20-30 group. I don't even want to remember how much I spent on audio so far :(.

Based on your signature, the emoticon you should use is this one ---> :yahoo:

BTW, I don't have a wife nor a wallet but if and when I get around some money I guess I'd be ready to bust about 3-4 L, over a period of time. I am hoping to get most if not all components via DIY...

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back