Hi with pics !

audiodelic

Hi guys
I'm satish, presently in Canada at university but i live in (secunderabad) Hyderabad,A.P
Room Size Approx : - 2200 Cu.Ft Room

You can see my set up in my signature.

Some Pics;-(still under construction though, will update)
DSC01475.jpg

DSC01461.jpg

DSC01470.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Wow, that's a good setup coming up. Though its a little too early to comment as you are still in the process of putting it together, still a few comments from the top of my head.

Speaker placement: You can benefit by moving the fronts a little away from corners. Center is kept a little too low.

Cables: Which cables are you using? At that level you should spend liberally on cables. For fronts they seem like Nordost Flatline Gold, are they? But what about those seemingly cheep-ish RCA cables there?

Room treatment: Your ceiling and floor seem to have been covered. But walls still seem to be bright.

Oh, btw, why three separate chairs? You never plan on watching a movie with someone holding hand or cuddling ;)

Ranjeetrain,

Your advice is to spend "liberally on cables" but your signature says "Cables + Interconnects + Mains lead = 4% of the sound (Don't spend over 10% or INR 5k)". How much is 'liberally' according to you? ;)

Ranjeetrain,

Your advice is to spend "liberally on cables" but your signature says "Cables + Interconnects + Mains lead = 4% of the sound (Don't spend over 10% or INR 5k)". How much is 'liberally' according to you? ;)

10% is the max. Or may be 15% in this case, as he would be doing a lot of in-the-wall wiring. Beyond that, I am of the opinion that cables don't really offer enough value.

Also, I'd like to mention that at that point 4% is a "lot". So, he should definitely try to perfect that 4% as well.

Spending too much on cables is snake oil.There was a blind test using ordinary cables and high end cables. There were highly regarded audiophiles doing this blind test and they couldn't tell a difference between the two.

I doubt you would hear the slightest difference in cables only if you ultra high end equipment. That said, cables just use decent ordinary ones you would be ifine.
'Monster' is the 'Bose' of the cables world they overcharge and rip the customer off with their outrageous prices &l marketing gimmicks.

The speakers are RBH Sound MC series(aluminum Drivers). RBH was original equipment manufacturer's for McIntosh back in the day.
So they have a sweet reputation, with all the resources Mcintosh had they did some good R&D and used expertise in all their lines.
RBH MC-6CT Tower Speakers
(RBH T-2 Signature Series Tower Speakers Signature T Serires. I plan on buying the T-2 towers for stereo only system some day i can afford them)

The second thing im excited about is the dvd player Oppo DV-983H. Rave reviews scored a perfect 100 on benchmarks and outperformed $1000, $1500 players from yamaha, denon, marantz etc. lol.
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity - Oppo Digital DV-983H DVD Player
The only other dvd player that uses the same chip as the opp presently is the Arcam 350.

The third is the subwoofer it plays with authority flat down to 16 hz. I can't wait to test it out with some pipe organ music. Rave review on this too.
HSU VTF-3 MK3 Turbo Subwoofer

Room: The walls are also covered with some kind of cloth for better acoustics done by a custom installer, so i guess i'm good there.

You talk about some high end 'indian' brands in your signature, Give me some examples please.

Now one major question does any of you know the actual/approximate price for the Onkyo Tx-Sr 705 in India ?

Last edited:
If you used good gauged wire (according to your running length) any copper wire should fair.Try to insulate the wire from any interference that is the key.Costly wire are supposed to do that.

As ranjeet suggested front speakers can be in a better position position.
You have divide the room in 1/3 or 1/5 ratios or so and place speaker there.
For example ,if you room is 9 feet.speakers can come in 3 feet from both walls.Also distance from side and back of the speakers should not be equal.

Also don't put the couchs against the walls keep atleast 2 feet.Center of the room is the best(if space permits).Height of the rears should be 2 feet above your ears.

Room acoutics play important and cheapest way of improving the system.It even adds upto15 db

Some new equipment and new pictures:-

Rear View of the room
DSC01622.jpg

Left side (from seating position)
DSC01628.jpg

Front screen side(from seating position)
DSC01624.jpg

Right side(from seating position)
DSC01623.jpg

Equipment Rack(Oppo DV-983H, Emotiva LPA-1, Yamaha RX-V661)HSU VTF3.3
DSC01620.jpg

Projector
DSC01619.jpg

Panasonic AE2000E (Full HD 1080P)
DSC01632.jpg

comments, advice most welcome..
satish

I am impressed with your home theatre

Satish,

I liked that you have started showing pictures while it is in making, i wish i would have done the same, because there are many members, who have considerable knowledge and they can guide us in a good way.

The size of your theatre room is just too good.

I believe that screen should be some what lower from ceiling.

I hope ceiling tiles are acoustic while seating chairs are good. Since you are having a false cieling, how about considering a projector lift?

I hope the theatre room door is having hinges and not floor spring and does the door have rubber sealings?, so that outside light does not sneek in, and it helps for sound not to travel outside, and indeed air condition cooling also becomes better.

I think there should be extra electrical points, that way, one has to not use the extension boards, as it spoils the decor of the room, etc.

I have liked your equipment rack, i wanted the same, but the rack was around 5 feet, that would touch my screen backed with other problems. For the centre speaker are you arranging a stand?

There are certain wires visible, please consider using binders they are very neat.

I hope there is sufficent accoustic and related treatment done for the room. I can see the accoustic treatment which you have done on the walls, which is exactly the way i have done, for my knoweldge please tell me how did you do it, and what kind of fabric you have used?

The placing of your speakers surely needs adjustments, as mentioned by the members at this forum.

In my mini theatre i do not have a phone, it is in the living room, when i am watching a movie, i set it to answering machine.

In my theatre i am having a another set of door bell so that i can hear it, as when i am watching a movie, i will not be able to hear the door bell in my theatre.

At time of watching a movie, i have several in-direct lights options, so that at times i can put it on, so there will be lesser strain at eyes and for my speaks i am using progressive lens with anti reflection coating.

I have a timer in the theatre room, which buzes after 40 minutes, so i take around 3 intervals. I hope you are having some foot lights and related, as some times in total dark room, there is a problem.

I am using a universal remote control as there are a lot of comforts, so may programes can be set, and than i have total 8 remotes, so now i have to use only one remote.

I would love to see your theatre, once it is ready, please consider my request.

Congratulations.

Last edited:
Dear Satish...

Nice setup buddy...

Am planning the same, for my clients house...

But, as Vinay(soundsgreat) said...you needed some more power points, and could have avoided power strips...

Now, trying hiding the power strip somewhere behind the rack...

Else.. your stuff is really.. great...

Njoy...

Dear Satish...

Nice setup buddy...

Am planning the same, for my clients house...

But, as Vinay(soundsgreat) said...you needed some more power points, and could have avoided power strips...

Now, trying hiding the power strip somewhere behind the rack...

Else.. your stuff is really.. great...

Njoy...

Hi Mridul,

Where is your client based. And what is his budget. May be I can get to peek my nose :D

Hi,

Good HT in the making!
A good sized room and 1080p HD equipment is surely a good way to start.

>>I have liked your equipment rack, i wanted the same, but the rack was around 5 feet, that would touch my screen backed with other problems. For the centre speaker are you arranging a stand?
You can also consider keeping the equipment rack on the side rather than below the screen. I had wired it this way while constructing the house 5 years back. This way I don't have to get up to change the disks or tweak the equipment. It is right next to me.

>>>In my theatre i am having a another set of door bell so that i can hear it, as when i am watching a movie, i will not be able to hear the door bell in my theatre.

Even this may not work all the time due to the HT SPL levels. I have three colored bulbs on the wall next to the screen. Two of them are connected to the two door bells, while the third one is connected to the bell switch just outside the HT room. This one helps a lot, otherwise it is difficult for family members to contact me from outside the room. Most often they are just trying to get in, but knocking does not help :)

Sounds crazy but works ;)

Thanks,
Sharad

I did try to get my theatre work done from professionals but i and my friend's experience were quite bad, so i decided to do the things on my own, with around 15% professional help.

I had limited space in my sitting area, etc, so i could not keep the equipment rack next to me and than i was given to understand that all the wires, cables should be near to each other, if these are long than the quality of the sound and picture could reduce, it is very good that you had planned your wiring at the time of construction of the house.

About the three colored bulbs on the wall next to the screen, i find this idea very good, that is why i say people at this forum, have so many ideas.

Actually at the end of the day how much ever good work we do, there will be things which will be left out or we will go wrong somewhere, all we need is that over all we should like it, and if it is backed by others than there is a good boost, so satish a great work is done by you.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Onkyo TX-SR 705 is 48K in Chennai.

thanks but i already bought the rx-v661 cos it was cheap, since the 663 is coming out or is already out in india.

Im patiently waiting for a year till i can convince my dad to let me have yamaha in my room with these :-
CBM-170 SE High Performance Bookshelf Loudspeaker

Then buy the Emotiva Preamp-Processor for the ht room which is in a different league in terms of SQ.

Actually lot of hunting went into buying this ht. Let me elaborate(Really long post read at your own will)

The story:-
Some 10 yrs i already had a decent enough ht which i had picked up from the u.s back in the day and this sounded great in my present room.
Onkyo Tx-DS676, Infinity Reference RS4 , Infinity CC3, Infinity Surrounds, Harman/kardon DVD22, Optoma H57, Wharfedale Sub.

Finally we decided not too recently maybe 2 yrs back india has decent stuff lets go have a look. We went down to the store and he gives me a demo of klipsch synergy, wharfedale 9.6, Polk Rti, Lsi, Def techs(all towers) driven by an nad pre and power amp. With my budget he was advising me to buy a mid end receiver with a tiny 10" velo .

It could have been the room it was not the best for acoustics.But frankly i dint care for any of them except the def techs which were way pricier with their powered sub. Infact me and my dad preferred our 10 yr old much cheaper infinities. In the new shop this guy had some monitor audios silver i think i loved the sound cos this shop had room acoustics done also.
My dad went to his friends house and loved his b&w's.

Firstly i convinced my dad were going to buy the equipment in the u.s just cos i always frequented forums and knew about the niche market brands.

My quest was to find a speaker that sounded little bit like b&w and monitor audio and cost much less than these boutique brands. Then i come across RBH Sound, one reviewer compared the sound to b&w and then the other said it resembles monitor audio. I was sold.
I did some research took a lot of opinions, saw frequency response graphs measurements etc. done by audio engineers.The fact that they manufactured for mcintosh back in the day and they use aluminum drivers was added bonuses.

The woofer was HSU given DR. Hsu's MIT degree and rave reviews, the only reason i chose this over a SVS was that some reviewers said HSU subs are a tad more musical than SVS.

Amplifier:-
I'm sorry but a measly reciever might work out for my ears but what about my ego which always dreamt of having separates.....???
The Emotiva Power amplifier and pre-pro(soon enough:rolleyes:) i wanted to buy from them the first time i saw their products and their company's website.
A group of audio engineers who started their own company not to rip people off like big names but still preserve sound quality with top notch products.

Projector:-
The Optona HD81 could not be used in my room less flexible placement.
The Epson TW-1000 doesnt have 24fps support its 3:2 Pull down has annoying blur once i upgrade to blu.
The panasonic had all the features, little pricier though since i bought this in india.

DVD Player:-
Lastly, My most prized i think personally.... Oppo DV-983H with its anchor bay chipset scaling and deinterlacing. On benchmarks beat players from yamaha, denon, marantz cossting thousands of dollars.

Once we bought all this got it shipped to india everything comes but the dvd player which at the time was oppo DV-981HD with foroudja chipset. Either the shipping co. lost it or the customs officer just kept it thinking ghar jaake biwi ke saath dvd dekhenge lol. Anyways if he has HDMI tv it woudlve helped him out since it had no component and the s-vid, composite do not upconvert.

Then i reordered this time the DV-983h i guess all in all it worked out well.

btw thanks guys.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back