High quality professional camera. Help!

k4carter

I have Sony cybershot which I purchased a year before. I am now starting my carrier as a professional photographer.

I really feel my old Sony cyber-shot is not enough for professional photography, I think I am in need to buy some professional Camera. If you have any idea or suggestion for the purchase of high quality camera kindly share it with me. Your suggestion will be highly appreciable it can boost my whole photography carrier.

Thanks.

First thing about photography - as with any art; needs to be learnt, practiced and applied. Serious results needs serious investment (not in the sense of money, but in the sense of time).

I believe your question is regards to equipment purchase. Photography equipment works in a ecosystem. Nowadays with digital revolution every one can become a photographer, which is a nice thing, this again accentuates the fact that one needs to invest time and effort to master this art.

I would recommend to start with a older gen DSLR, a Nikon D90 or Canon 500D. Do remember that all the major players in the photography industry are "Lens vendors" and not camera vendors. If you hate the bulk of the camera, Sony E-mount or panasonic 2/3 mount work well. DSLR body is the most painful part to carry. Once you decide upon the camera, go for the prime lenses or fast lenses. Ignore the electronic view finder, if you are serious enough, it is not needed. Also, serious photographers tend to upgrade the bodies, so your next body may have this as a usability feature.

The only tripod you need would be a gorilla tripod. Defer Flash guns for the time being, soft focus is a different topic - but lets avoid night photography for the time being. Try joining a photography club or going out with friends that enjoy photography. Everyone loves landscapes, but it is portraits that stay in albums (because we are narcissts :lol:). So don't worry about 300mm telescopic lenses. Zoom lenses have a telescopic vision, their time will come. Macro lenses are nice, but as with telescopic lenses, they need steady hand and patience.

Try to avoid "But.. But.. the shopkeeper and that guy on the forum (apologies to 'thatguy' on our forum) has given great reviews; I really need it". I am not asking you to avoid purchases, but defer them untill you feel the pinch. The important things like 'lighting', 'shadows', 'whitebalance', 'aperture' and 'shutterspeed' will keep one mesmerised for a long time. Make sure use "the golden hour" to its fullest.

Photography improves observation skills. Show us what you have got, my suggestions intend to same your dough, and I really don't want you to be one of those other guys who has a nice camera "at home". You may already be owning a nice camera in terms of a iPhone or smart phone, but are unhappy with photo quality. A dslr comes with a better sensor, faster response time (to click). Smaller sensors guarantee huge depth of focus, larger sensors tend to give shallow depth of focus. I don't want to rant about it, but the discovery process itself is so rewarding.

I have Sony cybershot which I purchased a year before. I am now starting my carrier as a professional photographer.

I really feel my old Sony cyber-shot is not enough for professional photography, I think I am in need to buy some professional Camera. If you have any idea or suggestion for the purchase of high quality camera kindly share it with me. Your suggestion will be highly appreciable it can boost my whole photography carrier.

Thanks.

If you don't know which camera to buy then trust me, you don't need a new camera yet. Understand what you require more in terms of features, quality etc and then plan your purchase.
Getting an expensive camera won't make you a better photographer.
Always remember - good photographs are made by people behind the camera. Camera in itself is just a tool.

+1 to that. Please do take time and figure out why you need a professional camera/DSLR, What kind of photography do you plan to engage in as part of your career? What is it you find lacking in your current camera?
Else if you just want to take the jump, just get a Nikon entry level DSLR like 3100 with 18-200VR walkaround lens and an SB series flash, and fire away.
But to get good photos, as Shivam and questzen have put it so well, you need to spend time and learn the craft.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back