Hilarious reactions: Modern kids with 80's/90's version of ipod

There are equal number of stupid and bright kids anywhere in the world . Also I do believe the current generation if kids are far smarter than the previous generation

Try asking any of the regular Indian metro kids to work on a windows 3.1 machine or play a Walkman :) .. Or ask our Earlier generation to use a mouse or smartfone for the first time. It is a generation gap..not stupidity.

Last edited:
There are equal number of stupid and bright kids anywhere in the world . Also I do believe the current generation if kids are far smarter than the previous generation

Try asking any of the regular Indian metro kids to work on a windows 3.1 machine or play a Walkman :) .. Or ask our Earlier generation to use a mouse or smartfone for the first time. It is a generation gap..not stupidity.

Totally Agreed!. Its the generation gap indeed.

I have no memory of how I discarded my aiwa and sony portable cassette players but I regret it today. Mobile music was a revolution that time.

We could take only a few casettes for a picnic. But it was always thrilling. Enjoying your favorite tracks on the picnic bus, sharing one of the earphones with your best buddy, exchanging the tapes, enjoying the mega-bass boost, stocking lot of AA size batteries, falling asleep as the player switches itself off, such fond memories of 'walkman' are simply priceless.

I enjoyed every bit of their reaction very much. How drastically the perception of convenience changes! Many thanks for sharing.

Am I the only one that thinks or is anyone other than me who think american /european kids that stupid?

Generation gap is one thing, common sense is another ,......

these guys were trying to make a "funny video". It would be less funny if some of the kids figured it out, right?

i may be going out on a limb here and guessing, but i'd say it's less a commentary on the american education system, and more that the sample of kids shown is skewed towards the bottom quartile of their respective classes.

what would you do if your boss told you, "go to a class and shoot a funny video of kids not understanding 80s technology"? Choose the brightest guys /girls in the class who crack it on the first try?:lol:

these guys were trying to make a "funny video". It would be less funny if some of the kids figured it out, right?

+1, you can say that again. It is directed and they have overdone that I think. But the true reaction may not be far different. Current gen kids, however smart they may be, may not have a clue of what a cassette is unless they had come across someone using it.

Another view point would be that the kids of today (Not American kids in particular) are not so appreciative of how the technology they enjoy today evolved.

Let us not forget the pioneers of all goods/electronic products. The best example I can think of right now is that the first computer occupied a full room! It is not a discredit to them, but a credit to them that they had a vision to create that. All that has followed since then is only evolution, not revolution.

Most modern kids do not appreciate how much time it takes for products to evolve. They assume that the all products available to them very easily was also made very easily?

Not trying to belittle anyone here, but just presenting another view point.

Another view point would be that the kids of today (Not American kids in particular) are not so appreciative of how the technology they enjoy today evolved.

Let us not forget the pioneers of all goods/electronic products. The best example I can think of right now is that the first computer occupied a full room! It is not a discredit to them, but a credit to them that they had a vision to create that. All that has followed since then is only evolution, not revolution.

Most modern kids do not appreciate how much time it takes for products to evolve. They assume that the all products available to them very easily was also made very easily?

Not trying to belittle anyone here, but just presenting another view point.

Vinod, you just need to go back to when we were the "Kids" not sure how many of us really cared about how the earlier generation used to study with no light, walk instead of a bus etc etc :)

In every culture and every civilization the one generation has expressed worries about the next generation kids...and those have always stepped on the foundation of the earlier and made it better. we just need to trust them and give them the space to grow :)

This is a quote by socrates ;)
Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.

things haven't changed much !

Vinod, you just need to go back to when we were the "Kids" not sure how many of us really cared about how the earlier generation used to study with no light, walk instead of a bus etc etc :)

In every culture and every civilization the one generation has expressed worries about the next generation kids...and those have always stepped on the foundation of the earlier and made it better. we just need to trust them and give them the space to grow :)

This is a quote by socrates ;)

things haven't changed much !

I heard that bit from my father, he studied under the "Randhal" (wicker lamp), walked 30 km every day for his school and wore his first trousers only after reaching his B.Com. I was very appreciate even when I was a kid of all he endured. I mean that I could think about the difficulties the earlier generations had in comparison to ours.

At that age, I dont expect the kids to appreciate how relatively difficult it had been for an older generation. That realization might come later on in life. Anyway, It would have been interesting had they been given a turntable instead!

I agree with you Vinod to an extent. For us, when computers were making way into education (not personal use still), they were a BIG thing for us. They would only be installed with Air conditioned rooms. Then the first windows came & from then on, it was evolution of what already existed. I think the kids were never be able to visualize/ realize that thing because we will never be going back to that technology. We know our grand dad's turntables because though old, it was a technology which is capable of serious HIFI reproduction. We know tubes because it has the warmth that semi conductors ICs can only dream of. While the older computer systems offer ZERO benefits over the current models, there is no question of them coming back. Hence, the 'revolution' part will be missed by the next generation.

It may sound like a rant, but the way things are going, for example like calculators and all allowed for regular classes & exams, soon, the generations to come may not know how to add up numbers manually!

Last edited:
I agree with you Vinod to an extent. For us, when computers were making way into education (not personal use still), they were a BIG thing for us. !
Very true. in those days the Computer was very sensitive to temperature as well i believe ! That reminds me way back IITB used to have an Apple Lap with Macs in it. First time around i had no clue on how to Eject a Floppy (yes Floppy :) ) from it ..i was in my final year and a First year kid showed me how to do it :eek:

Santy said:
+1, you can say that again. It is directed and they have overdone that I think. But the true reaction may not be far different. Current gen kids, however smart they may be, may not have a clue of what a cassette is unless they had come across someone using it.
And its sad..... THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT "GOOD" IS EITHER!!

Its really sad........

I think Indian kids are way smarter especially because of the rigorous competition mindset their parents set on them. That is why you will see that in many american schools Indian kids top the chart.

Nevertheless for kids in general you give them anything they will be the best user than older people not because of any generation gap but because they have the ability to utilize major part of their available gray matters in brain which mostly decrease with increasing age.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back