Hindi OST with good recording

Hi sam9s

Incidentally Jaane Tu sounds superior to Jaanbaaz/Qurbani made in South Korea.

Last edited:
Hi sam9s

I have owned pretty much every Universal[Music India before] cd made in South Korea and almost all Saregama[EMI before] cds made in England. So am very very familiar with their sound. The EMI bollywood cds made in US do not sound as good and those made in India sound very bad. Ditto for the Universal cds also. This even includes relatively newer titles like 1942 Love Store and Dilwale Dulhaniya. The UK pressings are way superior to the Indian ones

Hi sam9s

Incidentally Jaane Tu sounds way superior to Jaanbaaz/Qurbani made in South Korea.

You should not say that with such confidence untill you do a stright comparision on the same system .... :)

Hi sam9s

I have had both the cds till the recent past and used to hear them on the same system. I am commenting from my personal experience :)

Hi Sam9s

I will share some details with you as to how these guys remaster the old recordings. Their benchmark is it should sound good on a boombox. So tweaking is done till the stuff sounds good on a boom box. I have been witness to a lot of this stuff so pretty much know exactly what goes into these masterings:)

Hi sam9s

Everyone hears differently. There's nothing right or wrong. To me sound is like a fragrance. To each his own.:)

Previously i did not believe in GIGO principle. My perception was that if a system is good enough it shall able to play all recordings with good authority. However yesterday i heard a Focal - JM Lab test CD on my average system & it blew me off. The system just blew me off. I was just planning to replace my old MEPL DVD player however i learnt a good lesson yesterday that a better recorded source material is a must for you.
I strongly feel that the designers of sound systems use very good source material like those test CDs. We therefore feel betrayed as we dont get the same quality while listening to Hindi OSTs.

Hi sam9s

Everyone hears differently. There's nothing right or wrong. To me sound is like a fragrance. To each his own.:)

Its not just about the sound, its about the various "bhaav" the composer/singer/artist experiences while composing/singing/performing. Its about whether he succeeds in portraying those very "bhaav" in its true essence to the audience / listener through his performances stored in any form, cassette, cd, mp3 etc. I think too much is made about the sound quality and all, but sadly we are least concerned about the "anubhuti" of the "bhaav".

I am reminded about the famous scene in the movie "Shankarabharanam" where a self-acclaimed music teacher has illusions of him being the creator of new "raag" while all he ends up doing is making a mockery of the true essence of that "raag" and totally robs it of its "bhaav". the protagonist of the movie Shankara Sastry then goes on to explain in simple terms why the "bhaav" associated with a certain "anubhuti" of the composer is important.
here is the translation from telugu to english of that scene.

The Teacher after singing his version of the song....
Self_acclaimed Music Teacher [Das]:
  • Come...come Shankara Sastry. Its very important that orthodox people like you should compulsorily hear the experiments by Maestro's like me.

Shankar Sastry:
  • Breaking up the word into letters as you wish... and changing the meaning, is that what you call as experiment?
  • Das...A hungry child calls its mother [amma] in a different way
  • the same child when got hurt calls its mother [amma] in a different way
  • the same child getting up in the middle of sleep calls its mother [amma] in an another way.
  • Every experience ["anubhuti"] has a definite note, rythm and tune.
  • Das, behind every word of that Hymn [Brochevaru] there's heart felt experience ["anubhuti"] This song came out of the heart of a Great Saint in a trance.
  • With insufficient knowledge and in the name of experimenting... Dont desecrate the Nectar ["amrut"] of Music. The music, on which this Nation holds it's head high, Don't vulgarize it !!!

here is the link of the scene,
?Sankarabharanam -Brocheyvaadu yavaru raa - YouTube

the hymn Brochevarvarura in its original true essence,
sung by BalaMuraliKrishna
Brochevarevarura by Dr. M. Balamurli Krishna - YouTube
also sung by M S Subbulakshmi
Brochevarevarura Kamas Lyrics and Meaning - YouTube
also in this movie "Shankarabharanam" SP Balasubramanyam sings the song
Sankarabharanam - 7/12 - YouTube
Notice how the three singers are different but the song still retains its true essence its "Fragrance" so to speak. its not the case here "to each its own".

To say that everyone hears it differently is really not what is needed to be said. Just to remind you of the fact that so much effort is made that Porsche 911 retains its true essence the "DNA" on which its brand is recognized, the distinctive shape, the body lines all are maintained even after so many years and so many iterations. And we Indian public considered it as a Brand image!!!! and when it come to our own brand we don't even think for a second before going on a rampage trying to rob it of its true essence. Some effort of preservation is required and need of the hour.

I am also interested to know some (very) good recordings available for online ordering (on sites like FK, SD, LM, RH etc). Looking for suggestions.

I am also interested to know some (very) good recordings available for online ordering (on sites like FK, SD, LM, RH etc). Looking for suggestions.

I have had bad experience on Snapdeal. They sent MP3 CD despite description saying 'Audio CD'. Of course they take the stuff back if you complain, but it's a hassle nonetheless.

Yes that's the problem with few other sites also. They don't show the track list which is sufficient to figure it out. The product image is sometimes too small to zoom in and verify.

Hi Sam

Believe me Prem has a hell lot of experience and he can confidently comment on the mastering of hindi OST's

He has done extensive comparision

And I also have the Qurbani/Jaanbaz combo and also Disco Dancer. In both recordings I can easily make out in my setup that the bass is just cut off when its mastered. I have not heard the original recording but I could easily make out when I listened to these cds that for some reason bass is just removed while mastering but still it sounds better then some recordings which sound absolutely crap

And I also have the Qurbani/Jaanbaz combo and also Disco Dancer. In both recordings I can easily make out in my setup that the bass is just cut off when its mastered. I have not heard the original recording but I could easily make out when I listened to these cds that for some reason bass is just removed while mastering but still it sounds better then some recordings which sound absolutely crap

I have recently got the qurabani/janbaz acd (musik india) from a FM. Though I am listening in my setup (which is woofer less still now) I still feel the bass is missing. But not sure how would it perform with a subwoofer added to the system.

I am looking for Disco Dance ACD. Any idea from where I can get one?

I have recently got the qurabani/janbaz acd (musik india) from a FM. Though I am listening in my setup (which is woofer less still now) I still feel the bass is missing. But not sure how would it perform with a subwoofer added to the system.

If you read my signature, my setup is also a 2 channel setup with no subwoofer

I am not sure how it will play in a setup with a sub as I have no experience with them

I purchased Disco Dancer ACD from Rhythm House

EDIT: Its currently unavailable at Rhythm House

Last edited:
Hi sam9s

I have had both the cds till the recent past and used to hear them on the same system. I am commenting from my personal experience :)

Hi Sam9s

I will share some details with you as to how these guys remaster the old recordings. Their benchmark is it should sound good on a boombox. So tweaking is done till the stuff sounds good on a boom box. I have been witness to a lot of this stuff so pretty much know exactly what goes into these masterings:)

Hi Sam

Believe me Prem has a hell lot of experience and he can confidently comment on the mastering of hindi OST's

He has done extensive comparision

First and foremost I sincerely apologies, the music CD that I listened was not Jaane Tu ya jaane na it was I hate love stories that sounded crap. I got confused as both movie have that something in common. So yes Prem ji might be right in saying that JTYJN sounded really good.

Prem Ji really apologies for this confusion ......have you listened to I hate love stories, I am sure you would agree that it does not sound at all good, specially in comparison to Jaabaaz/Quarbani combo on UNIVERSAL.

Hi sam9s

Pl address me as Prem. No I have not heard I hate luv stories. So cannot comment there

I have Jane tu ya Jane Na ACD. Though bought it from snap deal with cheap MRP of less than Rs.50, I feel the recording quality is very good...

Hi Sam9s

No apologies required. As i said earlier, everyone hears differently. I think fm zapdl misunderstood my point. I was not talking about the purity of the notes which goes into the making of a song. What i meant was, some like a spacious sound, some a full bodied sound, some prefer more bass, some less bass, some prefer a big soundstage, some look for pinpoint imaging. The list is endless. What is important is the ability to identify what floats your boat.

IIRC, back in 90's I had a cassette of Jaanbaaz/Qurbani combo by 'MIL' (Music India Limited?). I liked the recording of it and recently bought a CD of it online. The CD is manufactured by Universal and the sound is pretty different.

I'm not comparing the sound of a cassette to that of a CD, still I liked the sound of old cassette. Regarding JTYJN, the recording is nice. I heard 'Kabhi Kabhi Aditi' song over and over and I enjoyed the quality recording.

Same goes for ARR's Kabhi Na kabhi and Kadhal Desam. Maachis and Anwar had pretty decent recording too.

Just found a video on T-series YouTube channel. Listen to the 'sound quality'..sad

Kabhi Kabhi Aditi Zindagi - Remix (Full Song) Film - Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na - YouTube

The original release of DTPH (DIL TOE PAGAL HAI) is recorded really well

For me hum dil de chuke sanam is very bright and i cant bear the sound in loud passages.

So as prem has written, everyone of us favors a different kind of sound

But one thing which everyone will agree that in general bollywood music is mastered in such a way that the dynamic range is very less

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back