Hindi OST with good recording

Check out the 'Sapnay' ACD. Really clean and dynamic although still some digital effect.
Dil to Pagal Hai, Dhadkan, Shalimar are good too.

Its not just about the sound, its about the various "bhaav" the composer/singer/artist experiences while composing/singing/performing. Its about whether he succeeds in portraying those very "bhaav" in its true essence to the audience / listener through his performances stored in any form, cassette, cd, mp3 etc. I think too much is made about the sound quality and all, but sadly we are least concerned about the "anubhuti" of the "bhaav".

I agree and disagree with this one. Agree with the spirit of the post. "Bhaav" and "Anubhuti" are essence of music that come first and foremost for many people, even before the tonal correctness. But those people are usually people who have had some "Samgat" and have been to "Baithaks". Most other people can't relate to this aspect of music.

And in fact this aspect doesn't depend that much on the recording quality or playback quality of a system. I can recall a "Bhajan" compilation by Shri Anup Jalota in which there is a track where little toddler "Kanhaiya" is having a sweet argument with "Yashoda mayya" over stolen "Makhan".

In the track Shri Jalota sings the same para in two different "raagas", one a morning Ragga the other an evening ragga. The earliest memory I have of this track is was on an extremely modest system. But even then the impression that Shri Jalota's singing made on me, his rendition of the two raggas, is etched forever in my ear and heart. In fact that compilation is the biggest reason I still listen to "Bhajans".

Back to the point, the takeaway from the above incident is that a system doesn't need to be top-notch or a recording spectacular in order to let a listener connect to the singer at a soul-to-soul level. The system should not be downright bad and recording should not be horrible. Even a modest system can reproduce the "Bhaav" easily.

At the same time I do feel that except for listeners of certain specific genres, this may be a moot point. They would rather have the tone, timber, color and details recorded to perfection in their recordings. High end audio won't exist if people didn't look for that last bit of perfection in their music, starting from recording to playback.

@ Rikhav
I agree with you. Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam's recordings on very bright side, same with Devdas also. Two days back i heard a CD named "Sajda" which is a non film album of Lata & Jagjit's gazals. The album is recorded in London. I was blown off by the quality of recording. The openness in Jagjitji's voice was never heard before. Sadly the owner was reluctant to lend me the CD for a full audition. I ever wonder that why the singers & music directors did not pay attention to the manufacturing process so that the final product which is going to the public will represent the true potential of their work

I ever wonder that why the singers & music directors did not pay attention to the manufacturing process so that the final product which is going to the public will represent the true potential of their work

I guess the answer lies in last post by ranjeetrain. The artists are always looking for that "bhaav" and "anubhuti" and "this aspect doesn't depend that much on the recording quality or playback quality of a system". Hence those artists are not bothered about the quality of recording or playback.
To give an analogy, people drink hard beverages because of the kick (i.e anubhuti) it provides and are never bothered by its bitter taste (bitter being analogous to average or bad sounding system) :eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
I guess the answer lies in last post by ranjeetrain. The artists are always looking for that "bhaav" and "anubhuti" and "this aspect doesn't depend that much on the recording quality or playback quality of a system". Hence those artists are not bothered about the quality of recording or playback.
To give an analogy, people drink hard beverages because of the kick (i.e anubhuti) it provides and are never bothered by its bitter taste (bitter being analogous to average or bad sounding system) :eek:hyeah:

I will politely differ to that as the artists are presenting their art to the patrons in order to showcase their talent. If it is not being portrayed in a better manner then it is of very limited use

I guess the final production of the sound is of low quality because most of the Indian listeners are happy with the low quality sound (as most of them have never been exposed to good sq or system).

Good recording has its own cost I believe. It starts with the studio rent, the quality of recording gear, the engineers and so on..

In India production houses hesitate to spend so much on it may be because a negligible % of people buy CDs. Rest all are happy to save money and download songs. The masses are happy with the quality of 128 kbps mp3 as well.

When I went to one music shop in Coimbatore looking for some titles, they said these days they don't stock Audio CDs as people prefer to have 300 songs if possible in one CD. I felt sad.

I will politely differ to that as the artists are presenting their art to the patrons in order to showcase their talent. If it is not being portrayed in a better manner then it is of very limited use

But they are not the ones buying the music and paying for it.

The average person buying music wants 50 songs for 25 rupees. What %age of buyers is going to pay 500 rupees for a 4 song CD? Is there a feasible market for "high quality recordings"? If there is no market, there would be no one to cater for it. Simple economics.

Sorry for the OT but couldn't resist.

@Anuragn, it is evident that you are a teetotler. Nothing can be farther from truth than the analogy. :)

Last edited:
Check out the 'Sapnay' ACD. Really clean and dynamic although still some digital effect.
Dil to Pagal Hai, Dhadkan, Shalimar are good too.

Thanks i also have all the above mentioned CDs & those sound too good. The midrange in the "Dhadkan" CD is so open that you will get blown away.

regards

Prasad

Hi Prasad

Always try and get the solo cds of the 90s and 2000s movies. For example Dhadkan is also available as a combo with other titles. Strictly avoid these.

If anyone is looking for old film songs on cds these are the ones they should look at. Ideally you should but the made in england cds for these but they are very difficult to come by. However the indian made cds of these titles are acceptable and the closest you can get to the original sound

Evergreen Hits Hemant Kumar
Evergreen Hits Lata
Evergreen Hits Manna Dey
Evergreen Hits Talat
Shree 420/Awara
Aradhana/Kati Patang/Amar Prem
Ghar/Massom/Ijazat
Hits All The Way Mukesh
Dard Bhare Geet Mukesh
Magic Moments Kishore
Dard Bhare Geet lata
Hits All The Way Asha
Umrao jaan/Bazaar
Pakeezah/Razia Sultan
Muqaddar Ka Sikandar/Laawaris
Upkar/Purab Aur Paschim
Daag/Aan Milo Sajana
Shor/Roti Kapda Makaan
Gumrah/Hamraaz
Woh Kaun Thi/Mera Saaya/Aap Ki Parchhaiyan
Jis Desh Mein Ganga Behti Hai/Teesri Kasam
Abhimaan/Mili/Chupke Chupke
Phagun/Naya Daur
Aarzoo/Aayi Milan Ki Bela
Barsaat/Aah/Aag
Dosti/Do Raaste/Taqdeer
Aarti/Mamta
Do Badan/Kajal
Aap Ki Kasam/Raja Rani
Leader/Ganga Jamuna
Geet/Aankhen
Chitralekha/Bahu Begum
Mere Jeevan Saathi/Apna Desh
Jab Jab Phool Khile/Sharmilee
Seeta Aur Geeta/Andaaz
Inteqaam/Anita
Hamrahi/Sasural
Teesri Manzil/Caravan

Offhand these are a few i remember. There are many more. Probably another 200 titles. So if any of you guys want a specific movie, let me know.

Thank you very much. IMHO though the content is very good in this CDs, the titles which are pre 1980 doesnt sound good on Cds. On the other hand those titles sound very good on LPs. As i dont have a TT i always prefer to by Cds of the titles after 1982.

Regards

Prasad

No Prasad. Some of them sound very close to a lp. At least the made in England CDs. I have had both

Hi All,

Yesterday i bought a "Delhi - 6" ACD from a prominent music store in South Mumbai. The price tag read Rs.45/- After reaching home when i tore open the packing I found that the CD was a complimentary copy not for sale.

I was just shocked, how can a store sell a complimentary copy. It is very serious, the audio industry scene is so bad that the store owners are selling complimentary copies also.

@ Prem

Earlier when you mentioned that most of the ACDs are produced to give as a complimentary copy, i did not believe. But now i know that the future of ACDs is very bleak.

I was just shocked, how can a store sell a complimentary copy. It is very serious, the audio industry scene is so bad that the store owners are selling complimentary copies also.

It is highly illegal, just like you cannot sell sample medicines. Irrespective of the condition of the audio industry, one must file a compliant against the seller if he/ she wants to pursue it further.

No Prasad. Some of them sound very close to a lp. At least the made in England CDs. I have had both

Prem has helped me purchase many a old Bollywood CDs.

But prem, believe me they don't sound as good as Lps you have. You have heard both (Lps and made in England CDs) but those CDs are very very hard to come by

They come for sale in ebay USA and uk but sometimes it's very difficult to import them

My point is if a particular ost can be made to sound well in CDs which are made in England , then why not in CDs which are made in India, where the film was originally made , where the major people listen to

Hi Rikhav

My attempt was to provide a list with the best available pressings as of today. The Made in England cds definitely sound better but its practically impossible to find them. And yes the vinyls do have more presence than the Made in England cds but these cds do sound very liquid, dynamic and organic

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back