Hindi OST with good recording

Anybody solely into old Bollywood music listening should only and only invest in a TT, a good one. He or she will be rewarded handsomely with a well setup TT specially comparing to the sound of same cds

I know many other artists have good quality LP's coming which many suggest are better then CD's of same album but with old Bollywood there is no comparison between lps and cds

Thanks to you , I could hear the magic of vinyls playing old Bollywood classics

I cant still forget the cycle TRING TRING sound in one of the songs and amitabhs voice

:clapping::clapping:

Hi Rikhav

Yes today lps are probably the only way to go for old Bollywood songs. But if someone can get access to the Made in England cds, they are a decent option.

Tring Tring was from Mana Janab Ne from Paying Guest

I got my hands on Disco Diwane and Star ost. The recording was quite good. There was an old Bengali songs collection cd of S.D Burman by 'Gramophone Company of India'. Very tempted to buy it though I don't understand Bengali (I didn't buy it). Bought a Local language cd of Crescendo (not BMG Crescendo) and I will think twice before buying again. Sounds like they recorded songs from misused cassette tapes!

Hi Prem,

I have a Made in England Cd of Karz / Meri Jung but frankly speaking i could not find any difference between this Cd & any other Cd by HMV. May be it could be because of my source Maranz 4000 CD/ Sony BDP-S370 with Yamaha RX-570/ Sony STR -333s receiver & Cosmic 4500/Sony SSs-440 speakers.

BTW yesterday i listened to a RPG sa re ga ma Cd "O Hansisni" having compilations of Kishore Kumar's romantic songs. The Cd is manufacured in India but sounded very well recorded.

I am just not able to understand the logic in the country of manufacturing as sometimes a "Tips" Cd sounds well above the other HMV Cds.

regards
Prasad

Hi Prem,

I have a Made in England Cd of Karz / Meri Jung but frankly speaking i could not find any difference between this Cd & any other Cd by HMV. May be it could be because of my source Maranz 4000 CD/ Sony BDP-S370 with Yamaha RX-570/ Sony STR -333s receiver & Cosmic 4500/Sony SSs-440 speakers.

May be you are right.

Hi Prem,

I have a Made in England Cd of Karz / Meri Jung but frankly speaking i could not find any difference between this Cd & any other Cd by HMV.

BTW yesterday i listened to a RPG sa re ga ma Cd "O Hansisni" having compilations of Kishore Kumar's romantic songs. The Cd is manufacured in India but sounded very well recorded.

I am just not able to understand the logic in the country of manufacturing as sometimes a "Tips" Cd sounds well above the other HMV Cds.

regards
Prasad

Not all saregama cds are good and not all are bad. 2 days ago I bought 'Anmol Ratan' Mukesh cd and it sounds good considering the era of music it had. Same goes for Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar. Then there is Saathiya (ARR) which had okay recording.

The song 'O Humdum Suniyo Re' didn't sound quite good. 'Alaipayuthey' on Saregama has better recording I think. 90's HMV CD/cassettes I own/heard have good recording, especially foreign albums (Erasure, Goldeneye OST etc).

Most Tips cd/cassette I own has decent recording quality. Same goes for Venus. IIRC, Time was better than Tips.

Last edited:
@ Santy

Which means one has to own "Estoric" Cd player + "Rethm" speakers with "Lyrita" amp. to have good SQ. OMG the set up can easily cost you in excess of Rs.5.0 Lacs.

How many of us will have a such upwardly sound system. IMHO the recordings on a Cd shall exhibit fairly uniform SQ irrespective of the sound gear. Dont consider boom boxes & mass produced HtiBs from Phillips/Sony / samsung & LG.

@ rikhav
IMO the song was from the Movie "Namak halal" accompanied by voice from Shashi Kapoor. "Jawane Janeman" by the evergreen "asha'

Are you pointing towards the TRING TRING sound then prem is right. It's from paying guest and he only made me listen to it

@ Santy

Which means one has to own "Estoric" Cd player + "Rethm" speakers with "Lyrita" amp. to have good SQ. OMG the set up can easily cost you in excess of Rs.5.0 Lacs.

How many of us will have a such upwardly sound system. IMHO the recordings on a Cd shall exhibit fairly uniform SQ irrespective of the sound gear. Dont consider boom boxes & mass produced HtiBs from Phillips/Sony / samsung & LG.

Much upwards of 12 lacs prasad ji

And believe the sound is heavenly in one word.

But frankly even in my setup which consists of a pre owned amp and a mid range cdp by arcam and transmission line BS speakers (for demo), I can easily make out difference in sound between various CDs

Yeah, having something like an esoteric cdp will make a difference but then you need cables which should carry the resolving sound from cdp to amp and amp to speakers and most importantly you will need speakers which are resolving enough

Hi Prasad

Karz should sound fabulous. Meri Jung is at best average.

Even on a decent rig the made in England cds sound very good.

The tring tring from Paying Guest is the cycle bell. The tring tring from Namak Halal is phone ringing.

I am typing this while listening to 'Naina Neer Bahaye' from movie 'Water' by A.R.R. Got a copy of Varese Sarabande label CD and compared to Indian cd, the sq seems better.

Editing my post to add that sq of 'Barso re' from Guru and 'Mehndi hai rachne wali' From Zubeidaa is pretty good

Last edited:
This CD set has had highly negative reviews on Flipkart and amazon.
Can you give more detailed review/insights please? Thanks
The quotes below are from pages 1 & 2 of this thread.

Signature Collection - A.R. Rahman [Concert Recordings]
(Music, Audio CD)

This is a really good selection of well recorded songs from many popular movies.
Highly recommended and a real steal at Rs 160 for a 3 CD set.

Not all songs on the A R Rahman collection recommended by Nikhil are original. Keep that in mind when purchasing it

Last edited:
Hi Prasad

Karz should sound fabulous. Meri Jung is at best average.

Even on a decent rig the made in England cds sound very good.

The tring tring from Paying Guest is the cycle bell. The tring tring from Namak Halal is phone ringing.

Barring the song " Dard E Dil" I felt that other songs sound pretty average with artificial channel separation & undue emphasis on the high freqeuncies.

Anyway here comes the matter of individual perception. Actually i had been listening to this Cd for quite a lot of time. This album is my favorite but since i came to know that the England made Cds have better recording i compared it with other well recorded Cds.

regards
Prasad

Old movie Krodhi (Dharmendra) has two songs with stereo effects and separate channels for male and female voice.

1. Chal chameli bhagh mein
2. Ladki walo (Qawwali)

Has anyone tried that??

R Vinay

Hi Prasad

You are getting confused between two different things. Karz was originally mastered with that kind of channel separation. Thats how Laxmikant Pyarelal wanted it. Whether you like that kind of mastering or not is a different issue. Here we are talking about transfer of that mastering onto a cd. Has the original mastering been tampered with? In the made in England cds, the cd mastering is as close to the original mastering as possible. However in a lot of cds pressed in India, at the stage of cd mastering, no noise and a few other digital tricks has been used resulting in compression and loss of dynamics

Hi Prem,
I got your point but how we get to know that the original mastering has been tempered with. For that one has to have access to the original masters or at least the original record.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back