Hindi OST with good recording

Bought the audio cd of Janbaaz/Qurbani last week and I can admit that the sound quality is superb.

Worth investing in it.

Have been enjoying the "Barfi" soundtrack the last couple of days.
The Sound Engineering is by Eric Pillai. Good stuff.

I also like the "Om Shanthi Om" soundtrack. Re-listened yesterday after a long time.

Can somebody help me in procuring following CDs in Mumbai?
1) Mughal E Azam (in Color) Digital Stereo
2) Naya Daur (in Colour)
I have searhed a few times in Rhythm House but i could not get one even after a pre order.
They have those Cds with their original version but not the recently released colour version.
It is also not available on "Flipkart"

Can somebody help me in procuring following CDs in Mumbai?
1) Mughal E Azam (in Color) Digital Stereo
2) Naya Daur (in Colour)
I have searhed a few times in Rhythm House but i could not get one even after a pre order.
They have those Cds with their original version but not the recently released colour version.
It is also not available on "Flipkart"

Not in Mumbai though, I saw Mugal E Azam, Pakeezah, Umrao Jaan CDs in a local store. There was a remastered combination CD of Mughal E Azam and Pakeezah.

I was confused whether to buy it or not and ended up buying 'T-Series' Dance Dance CD and an 'AVM' Rajnikanth collection CD (Tamil), both having a decent recording quality.

I am talking about audio CDs.

Last edited:
FM prepress has written this on "SHOLAY 1975 in 3D and Blu-Ray" thread (post 40).

You can buy "Classic Revivals" series on Saregama (earlier HMV) in this series all songs are digitally remastered with new instruments. They keep the originality of songs but mixed most major instruments again to make them stereo. I have purchased almost every Volume and they are around 600 songs in complete series.

FM prepress has written this on "SHOLAY 1975 in 3D and Blu-Ray" thread (post 40).

You can buy "Classic Revivals" series on Saregama (earlier HMV) in this series all songs are digitally remastered with new instruments. They keep the originality of songs but mixed most major instruments again to make them stereo. I have purchased almost every Volume and they are around 600 songs in complete series.

I read a recent review on flipkart about umrao jaan (new version) Cd that it is not the original song although it is marked as Bolloywood OST. So wondering when you say that mixing of the instruments were re-done in the remastered edition does it mean that the orginal track distributed in a timely manner intop two channels to bring better effect? If that is true I would say it will be a good buy definitely. I had last purchased A 3 movie series (ACD) of Izazat, Ghar and Masoon from flipkart and I really loved the sound especially the clean and distinct highs which were not that great in earlier recordings I had heard. dont know though if the CD make was purposefully made brighter.

Also recetly I have ordered 1942 Love Story vinyl from new gramaphone house since many are saying that its recording quality is outstanding (including claims like the orginal master was analogue)

1942 a love story vinyl is truly outstanding. Probably the reason is opartly attributed to the fact that although it is marketed by saregama (hmv) but the pressing is german! I was surprised to see this when I found it printed on the cover. Also same pressing is Dil To Pagal Hai which I already had but realized its presing to be german only recently.

Got two CDs from Infibeab - Janbaaz/Quarbani and Pakeeza/Umraojaan. The Pakeeza songs quality is bad - sounds like listening to old low bitrate mp3. Onthe other hand Umraojaan sounds wonderful - clean, clear vocals and instruments. It is Saregama CD but manufactured by Sony.

Among recent movies I like Rockstar and Ashiqui-2. On the other hand the CD quality of Rock On! (T-series) is pathetic.

BTW, I found Infibeam to be much cheaper than Flipkart for audio CDs. There are various offers on credit cards in addition to initial discount on the CDs. Another plus is that there is no minimum order here - even one CD can be ordered with free shipping and 10%-15% discount!

Got two CDs from Infibeab - Janbaaz/Quarbani and Pakeeza/Umraojaan. The Pakeeza songs quality is bad - sounds like listening to old low bitrate mp3. Onthe other hand Umraojaan sounds wonderful - clean, clear vocals and instruments. It is Saregama CD but manufactured by Sony.

Sony DADC I guess. I almost bought Pakeeza/Umraojaan CD but changed my mind and let it go. Probably it's still available on that very store. I had this feeling that Umraojaan is going to sound good but not Pakeeza. Guess my feeling was right :). OTOH, I bought Janbaaz/Qurbani CD and SQ was good, but not better than the original 'Polydor' (IIRC) version.

I have got rumors that SONY bought all rights of Bollywood OST and they will be releasing OST with Sony label..Hope to see some good recording..At least better than pathetic recording of Saregama,,

Like Nikhil has quoted Barfi is a good listen. I always liked Amit trivedi's works. I am not sure who is involved in the recordings. But his last albums like Lootera, ghanchakkar(though I don't like the songs much) were impressively recorded(to my ears,atleast!!) Also Kai po che is of the same league, especially for people who likes the vocals little projected.

Also, I think most of you might have noticed that 'ilahi' from yeh jawani hai deewani has outstanding vocal projection, which is done in a quite enjoyable way.

Umrao Jaan / Baazar and Pakeezah / Razia Sultan are the combos to get. Not Umrao Jaan / Pakeezah

Thanks for the tip. I was driven more by nostalgia as we used to have an audio cassette of same combination. Even though the SQ is not there the pleasent memories make up for it :)

... Also Kai po che is of the same league, especially for people who likes the vocals little projected.

Also, I think most of you might have noticed that 'ilahi' from yeh jawani hai deewani has outstanding vocal projection, which is done in a quite enjoyable way.

Thanks Alby Tommy. Just listening to the Kai Po Che songs right now.

"Ilahi" is a great song ... look up the Unplugged version on Youtube.
Arijit Singh - Unplugged Season 3 - 'Ilahi' - YouTube

I like it better than then the original!
I really liked the riff that sounds a lot like Mark Knopfler's "Hill Farmer Blues".

Last edited:
Umrao Jaan / Baazar and Pakeezah / Razia Sultan are the combos to get. Not Umrao Jaan / Pakeezah

Bought Pakeezah / Razia Sultan combo (saregama). I would say the sq is okay but nothing commendable. Razia Sultan has better sq with clearer sound compared to Pakeezah but somehow the stereo imaging of Razia Sultan made me feel disorientated/dizzy for a moment when heard with IEMs (dunno why)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back