Hindi OST with good recording

Hi Prasad

In the case of the old film songs, you have to hear a lp to understand if any tampering has been done. In case you do not have access to a lp, see if it sounds dry and clinical. Also when you tamper with the original mastering, it will be difficult to figure out the age of the singer. The youthfulness of a young singer would be lost. The feel of the song will also get lost.

Bought sillunu oru kadhal 5.1 dts cd and I am enjoying it well. Still, the normal stereo cd of the same movie gives me a different feeling. It's better not to compare stereo and multi-channel sound side by side.

Bought sillunu oru kadhal 5.1 dts cd and I am enjoying it well. Still, the normal stereo cd of the same movie gives me a different feeling. It's better not to compare stereo and multi-channel sound side by side.

I never realized that Indian music is available in 5.1. What other titles are available? Any Hindi ones?

I never realized that Indian music is available in 5.1. What other titles are available? Any Hindi ones?
I haven't seen a Hindi one yet. It warns that the disc doesn't work on all stand-alone CD/DVD players and PC. DTS decoding is needed.

I only got two. The other one is 'Boys' by A.R.R. Both have really cool surround effects. The shop I bought these from have one more copy of both cds. Also old cds (normal stereo) like Pardes, Cheeni Kum, Alisha's 'Made in India' etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWD2Wfnbx8M This track is particularly good in surround.

Last edited:

Yash Raj released some 5.1 DVD Audio discs for few of their films like Dhoom 2, Veer Zaara and couple of more films. These discs had a 5.1 DVD Audio section (MLP Lossless) , regular 5.1 DTS, Dolby Digital and 2 channel PCM tracks.

I haven't seen a Hindi one yet. It warns that the disc doesn't work on all stand-alone CD/DVD players and PC. DTS decoding is needed.

I only got two. The other one is 'Boys' by A.R.R. Both have really cool surround effects.

The DTS discs can be played in any normal CD or DVD player with a digital out, but the player has to be connected to a AV receiver or decoder which supports DTS. It can also be played in any PC with a media player which support DTS decoding from a DTS CD. The audio companies were confusing the consumers by printing that the discs were not playable in CD/DVD or PCs. :eek:

I agree, Rahman's Tamil DTS CDs sound good and some of the other Tamil DTS CDs are pretty good too.

Last edited:
OT
I had Ghajini (tamil) DVD audio.
Few DTS titles are available on 600024.com

Santy, Ghajini (Tamil) is actually a regular DTS CD and all Tamil DTS titles are regular DTS CDs. Some of retailers and audio companies releasing these discs incorrectly mentioned that these were Audio DVDs.

The shop I bought these from have one more copy of both cds. Also old cds (normal stereo) like Pardes, Cheeni Kum, Alisha's 'Made in India' etc.

Is that a physical shop or do they have an online store? Also, any idea whether those are original mastering or re-releases?

Sorry for OT again.

Santy, Ghajini (Tamil) is actually a regular DTS CD and all Tamil DTS titles are regular DTS CDs. Some of retailers and audio companies releasing these discs incorrectly mentioned that these were Audio DVDs.

Hi Nishanth

I haven't heard anything called DTS CD. Do you mean to say they are DVD Video and not DVD Audio? If yes you could be right. I have seen such Music DVDs which are actually DVD video. Sometimes they show a still poster of the movie. It used to have quite many songs 15 to 30. I bought one Harris Jayaraj 5.1 songs which turned out to be a video DVD.

But I was pretty sure there was no video at all on the disc I had. There were only 6 tracks. The SQ was pristine even on a HTiB. Most likely with full bitrate of DTS. At that time it was available in big music stores like Music World, Landmark. DVD Audio of OST was released in limited numbers for movies like Ghajini, Chandramukhi, Boys and Godfather.

Unfortunately I cannot verify as I have't spotted that DVD in my home for years. So I could be very well wrong. I have some credits with 600024.com (for some cancelled order); will give it a try.

Sorry for OT again.

Hi Nishanth

I haven't heard anything called DTS CD. Do you mean to say they are DVD Video and not DVD Audio? If yes you could be right. I have seen such Music DVDs which are actually DVD video. Sometimes they show a still poster of the movie. It used to have quite many songs 15 to 30. I bought one Harris Jayaraj 5.1 songs which turned out to be a video DVD.

But I was pretty sure there was no video at all on the disc I had. There were only 6 tracks. The SQ was pristine even on a HTiB. Most likely with full bitrate of DTS. At that time it was available in big music stores like Music World, Landmark. DVD Audio of OST was released in limited numbers for movies like Ghajini, Chandramukhi, Boys and Godfather.

Unfortunately I cannot verify as I have't spotted that DVD in my home for years. So I could be very well wrong. I have some credits with 600024.com (for some cancelled order); will give it a try.

Hi Santy, all Tamil DTS audio discs are CDs and not DVDs. These are regular audio CDs with 5.1 DTS encoded tracks. Bitrate on these DTS CDs is actually around 1234kbps, while players would show them as 1411 kbps. Almost all of the Tamil DTS CDs had 5.1 mix done by Rahman's senior engineers at his studio, so the 5.1 mix and the sound quality was very good.

The Wiki article about DTS CDs has some intresting specs and info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.1_Music_Disc

The DTS discs can be played in any normal CD or DVD player with a digital out, but the player has to be connected to a AV receiver or decoder which supports DTS. It can also played in any PC with a media players which support DTS decoding from a DTS CD. The audio companies were confusing the consumers by printing that the discs were not playable in CD/DVD or PCs. :eek:

This has been quite a good revelation. I knew this fact for a DTS CD bit never know that a DVD audio can be played back in this manner. Thanks for this useful information

Hey, this is really something new! Have just ordered the Rahman set of three discs from 600024, thanks Santy. Tamil is Greek & Latin to me. Just did a "DTS" search and got those three only. Its ARR so will surely be good.
Are the Yash raj DVD audio discs available anywhere?

I only got two. The other one is 'Boys' by A.R.R. Both have really cool surround effects. The shop I bought these from have one more copy of both cds. Also old cds (normal stereo) like Pardes, Cheeni Kum, Alisha's 'Made in India' etc.

New York Nagaram - YouTube This track is particularly good in surround.

Yash Raj released some 5.1 DVD Audio discs for few of their films like Dhoom 2, Veer Zaara and couple of more films. These discs had a 5.1 DVD Audio section (MLP Lossless) , regular 5.1 DTS, Dolby Digital and 2 channel PCM tracks.

I agree, Rahman's Tamil DTS CDs sound good and some of the other Tamil DTS CDs are pretty good too.

OT
I had Ghajini (tamil) DVD audio.
Few DTS titles are available on 600024.com

I am looking for the following audio CDs but unable to find online. Kindly help me source them:
1) Criminal (1995)
2) Boom (2003)
3) Made in India -Alisha
4) Maachis
5) Hindustani (1996)
6) Kalakaar (1983)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back