Home made FS speakers. Volume calculate:

chinu_hark

I am a student and hence, well no cash. I am fed up of my current tiny PC speakers and so thought of putting a cheap car audio stereo system in my room. Here's what I'm planning:
1) 2 Channel Amp
SONY Xplod XM-GTX6022 2/1 Channel GTX Series
OR
JBL GT5-S422 2 Channel
(This will be powered by an extra PC SMPS. Signals will go from my PC to Amp using Stereo to RCA Cable)
2) Pioneer TS-G623 6" 2 Way Speakers (2 Pairs)
Each Box will be Floorstanding type(About 0.9m High) with 2 Speakers in each box.

My questions are:
1) Can I connect the 2 4Ohm speakers in parallel(2 Ohm resultant) or will that damage the Amp?(I will put 2 speakers on 1 channel and 2 on the other)
2) I did not understand Crossover. If there are just L,R channels where will it "Cross Over" the Low Frequencies.
MOST IMPORTANTLY
3) How the hell do I calculate the volume of the boxes required? All the online calculators ask for EBP,Fs,Qes,Qts...... How do I get these values for the Pioneer Speakers?
PS:Also how would 2 Speakers in 1 Box change the required volume?

Last edited:
I am a student and hence, well no cash. I am fed up of my current tiny PC speakers and so thought of putting a cheap car audio stereo system in my room. Here's what I'm planning:
1) 2 Channel Amp
SONY Xplod XM-GTX6022 2/1 Channel GTX Series
OR
JBL GT5-S422 2 Channel
(This will be powered by an extra PC SMPS. Signals will go from my PC to Amp using Stereo to RCA Cable)
2) Pioneer TS-G623 6" 2 Way Speakers (2 Pairs)
Each Box will be Floorstanding type(About 0.9m High) with 2 Speakers in each box.

My questions are:
1) Can I connect the 2 4Ohm speakers in parallel(2 Ohm resultant) or will that damage the Amp?(I will put 2 speakers on 1 channel and 2 on the other)
2) I did not understand Crossover. If there are just L,R channels where will it "Cross Over" the Low Frequencies.
MOST IMPORTANTLY
3) How the hell do I calculate the volume of the boxes required? All the online calculators ask for EBP,Fs,Qes,Qts...... How do I get these values for the Pioneer Speakers?
PS:Also how would 2 Speakers in 1 Box change the required volume?

Hi

1) for the Thiel Small parameters, you will have to refer to the box/manual/pioneer site.

2)You have to look into the manual of the amp whether i will take 2 ohm load.
While it is not common in home audio, it is common in car audio.

3)About crossover, each channel will be ssplit into 2 frequency band by Xo. The higher frequencies are to be fed to tweeter and lower frequency to woofer/midrange. If all the speakers are full range speakers, there is no need of any crossover. Just connect them in series (2 speakers per channel).

most of the car speakers are 4 ohm impedance. so putting them in series will
give 8ohm impedance: much better for amplifier.

By the way, car speakers(which are placed behind rear seat of car) work on infinite baffle principle. So they will work well on open baffle design.
If the Qts is 0.7 or more or if you don't find the requred specs, try open baffle design. No headaches of calculating box volume/port size etc. Sound is very open too.But they eat a lot of space.

By the way, why do you need 2 pairs(4 speakers) for home audio? You won't get any surround effect as such. You will be better off with simple stereo design IMHO.

I had plans to go ahead with similar design (but stereo amp). but i have too many speakers at home. so that plan is on hold.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back