Home theater 7.1 design help

sachinmi

hi guys i need help in designing my home theater with 7.1
speaker placement & wiring & equipment. this is on my terrace has no windows still under construction .

Thank you

Attachments

• Home theater design.jpg
    Home theater design.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 158
Please tell us your budget .Preference movies /music .So that the FM can suggest you better products.
Are you limiting upto 7.1 ? there r recent AVRs which can handle latest codecs Dolby Atmos / DTS X / AURO 3D through which you can enjoy 3 dimensional surround sound. Its all based on our requirements and budgets.

hi guys i need help in designing my home theater with 7.1
speaker placement & wiring & equipment. this is on my terrace has no windows still under construction .

Thank you

Hello and welcome to forum.
The length and width of room is good for HT setup.
Plan your wiring/Pipe work in advance. (Contact your electrician, basic guidelines are given below)
I assume that the Slab/roof work has already been done.
Now you can only route the pipe in floor-wall or wall-wall combination.
For front speaker's placement leave one foot from side walls and place a junction box there and one junction box in the centre. (The junction box at center has to be large one, all the pipes from the front and rear will meet here)
For 5.1 :- Place two junction boxes at 6 feet level from ground on the back wall at a distance of 2-3 feet from side walls
For 7.1:- Place two junction boxes at 6 feet level from ground level on the side wall at a distance of 4-5 feet from side walls
Use at least 16 Gauge oxygen free 2.0 wire
Regarding equipment:- Its a very very subjective, search forums to finalize the same.
Either adopt the streaming or downloading or DVD/Bluray media route.
For best possible quality DVD/Bluray's is the best option.

The rectangle is very close to the "golden rectangle" 1:1.616 ratio.
Would suggest to get wiring done for height channels too. You never know about changing tech. Plan the wiring for 9.2.4; this can be adapted for 5.x or 7.x if not using height channels. On wire gauge I would say go with 14 AWG if doing in-wall wiring. Later you may decide on low impedance speakers and it will still hold good. You may use speaker wire or good old electrical wire. IMO they both will work just the same (electrical wire being cheaper). Plan for separate power circuits for AV/lighting and AC. Preferably 2 circuits for AV/lighting. Try to see if you can have the MCB placed in the room itself.

Placement of speakers depends on your seating position and num of rows
The drawing shows couch almost up at the back wall; there is scope to move it in closer to the screen. Surround channels are suggested to be beside (or slightly behind) listening position. Surround back channels at the back of listening position. Check Dolby site; there are good pointers there.
If feasible, keep surrounds on stands so that their position can be fine tuned later.

Since it is a closed room, plan for proper air circulation and cooling for humans and electronics.

Cheers,
Raghu

Most important!!!!
Ventilation. Plan for ventilation via an exhaust fan and maybe an indirect air inlet for fresh air. After you do acoustic treatment, stale/damp air can cause mold to build up and wreak havoc. There are duct based exhaust fans where the fans do not sit on the wall, they'll be ideal for HT
I say this from my experience in my HT.

The 17-foot length of your room is going to result in peaks & nulls at certain frequencies and locations (see graph below).

attachment.php

Notice that at 1/3rd room length (5'8") from the back wall, most of the problem frequencies are at roughly the same level, resulting in smoother response. This is a good location to put the listeners' ears.

It will also leave you enough distance to the back wall to get excellent separation between your side and rear speakers (hallmark of a good 7.1 set-up).

hi guys sorry for the late reply got held u in some other stuff. Very nice replies im doing a basic design as per your suggestions. will update the drawing by morning, by the way im having almost zero knowledge on AV. Im an interior designer.

guys little confused about the heights the speakers to be mounted for all the 7 speakers if its 7.1.2 . two in the ceiling may be i can ad extra in the ceiling at later stage

little confused about the heights the speakers to be mounted for all the 7 speakers if its 7.1.2
Left, Centre, Right speakers should be as close to ear height as possible.

This doesn't work for the Side speakers because the heads of the people on either end of the sofa can block the sound for the person at the middle of the sofa. So raise the Side speakers a couple feet up, so that their tweeters have clear line of sight to all the listeners' ears.

Rear speakers can the same height as the side speakers, for consistency when sounds move around the surround field.

If you're using a single pair of height speakers, they should be spread apart in or on the ceiling, slightly forward of the sofa.

A 7.1.2 set-up provides good coverage in all the major directions: aside from the L/C/R speakers up front, you have a pair of speakers anchoring sounds at your sides, a pair of speakers anchoring sounds behind you, and a pair of speakers anchoring sounds above you.

Should sound awesome when you're done.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back