Home Theater issues

moshel

I have a 3 yr old Sony DAV-DZ120K home theatre, it has a dvd player and 5.1 channel speakers..

now the dvd player is not working, the lens is gone, i dont wanna get it repaired, as everyone knows that even after repairing it works for just a few days.

I asked in sony if i can buy only a DVD player, but they are saying that its not possible....

I just want a DVD player and im ready to pay for it, but here are some issues:

1. the pins at the end of the speaker cables which go into the back of the DVD player are those plastic clip ones, which we normally have for our landline phones and also in LAN cable. New standalone DVD players have rounded female type inputs.

2. the company said the output is 800w RMS, but how can i know what rating, etc. type of DVD player i should get?

Hi,

I am afraid is did not find any cable than has a lan/phone type connection in one end and RCA on the other. So your option is either to get it repaired or go for a new HT.

Thanks,
Prakash

I have a 3 yr old Sony DAV-DZ120K home theatre, it has a dvd player and 5.1 channel speakers..

now the dvd player is not working, the lens is gone, i don't wanna get it repaired, as everyone knows that even after repairing it works for just a few days.

The DVD Player in your system is not a player but what is called a DVD Receiver. It has a DVD Player and an in built 5.1 channel amplifier.

I asked in sony if i can buy only a DVD player, but they are saying that its not possible.... I just want a DVD player and im ready to pay for it, but here are some issues:

Just getting a DVD Player is of no value. The DAV-DZ120K is a closed unit. Other than a input socket for two channel audio, it has no other input sockets. So even if you buy another DVD Player, you cannot connect it to the Sony System.

1. the pins at the end of the speaker cables which go into the back of the DVD player are those plastic clip ones, which we normally have for our landline phones and also in LAN cable. New standalone DVD players have rounded female type inputs.

2. the company said the output is 800w RMS, but how can i know what rating, etc. type of DVD player i should get?

Moshel, a DVD Player just plays a DVD and sends the signal to an amplifier generally called an Audio Video Receiver or AVR. As I said before, your Sony system combines a DVD Player with a Receiver. In other words the player and amplifier are put together in one unit.

If you buy a new DVD Player, you cannot connect the speakers to it directly. The sockets you see on DVD Players are not for connecting speakers, but for connecting an external amplifier.

The options available to you are:

1. Get the lens of your existing system repaired or replaced. In my mind that is the best and most inexpensive option.

2. Get a new DVD Player and an AVR and use your existing speakers. Don't worry about the connector types. You can always cut away the connectors and use bare wire to connect to a new AVR.

The second option will be expensive. So I would suggest, you try for the first one.

Cheers

Hey Moshel

As Venkat has suggested, you dont have many options as you are using what is called as a "closed system" meaning that only certain components are paired with each other. This is one issue with HTiBs in that you cannot replace one piece cheaply or upgrade with generic components.

Try looking for used stuff on ebay or Hifi Mart to see if you can get the same or similar model (SOny can suggest which ones are compatible). Otherwise, get a AVR and use the existing speakers as it may save you headaches down the road and still leave you with upgrade paths.

now the dvd player is not working, the lens is gone, i dont wanna get it repaired, as everyone knows that even after repairing it works for just a few days.

I asked in sony if i can buy only a DVD player, but they are saying that its not possible....

I just want a DVD player and im ready to pay for it, but here are some issues:

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back