Home Theater package for <1 lakh

sforsuresh

Hello everybody,
This is my first post here. I am based in Chennai.
I am looking for a HT package (speaker and receiver) with a budget of Rs 1 lakh. It will be in my living room - 18ft * 13 ft. I will use it for 80% music and 20% movies (I like to listen to music pretty loud - primarily Hindi and Tamil movie songs). I am quite confused which one to buy. I am looking for a compact package (not interested in floorstanders). I was looking at a few options:

1) Marantz 5001 (Rs35k) with Mordaunt short Genie package (Rs 44k)
2) Onkyo 703 (Rs45k) with Def tech procinema 1000 (Rs 70k) - little over budget though
3) Onkyo HT 990thx - THX certified HT package (Rs 65k)
4) Onkyo 703 (Rs45k) with Wharfedale 9.2 fronts (Rs15k), 9.1 rear (Rs12k) SW-150 sub (Rs17k) and 9CM center (14.5k).

I liked the sound of Marantz and Genie package & Onkyo THX certified package. I liked the Genie better. Will be listening to Def tech this weekend. Not sure if I can listen to Wharfedales in Chennai.

It will be great if somebody can help me out which would be the best for music and movies. Also pl refer me other brands/combinations in the price range.

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest you to check out the Denon 1507(20K) or 1907(26K) receiver with the EPOS ELS3 5.1 (75K) speaker package or the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1AV speaker package(75K)

You will get better bang for you buck with the above two combinations.

Absolutely avoid the Onkyo!

Hi Cyrus,
Thanks for the reply. Any idea where I can get EPOS in Chennai/Bangalore?

Absolutely avoid the Onkyo!

I thought Onkyo was a good brand for AV receivers - Their speakers were not impressive though.

Thanks,
Suresh

Onkyo is a highly overrated and overpriced brand in India. IMHO Denon provides better sound, built and value for money.

Epos dealer distibutor in India

M/S Reference Point
No:8, 12th cross, 1st stage,
Indiranagar
Bangalore
India
Telephone: +91-80-25257246.
Email: [email protected]

Mention that you were recommended by this forum and hopefully you could get a price break!!!

Here is a link to the Epos 5.1 system http://www.epos-acoustics.com/products.asp?logging=211&lookup=els51

I would also appreciate to get your personal feedback on these speakers.

Pl see the attached excel file for details. I am comparing the numbers for
Def tech procinema 1000, KEF 2005, Mordant short Genie, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, Epos 5.1.

If I look at the numbers, Procinema 1000 looks to be the clear winner. It has wider frequency range and are the most efficient speakers (highest db)
While reviews were good for all the above brands, I am more towards buying the Procinema & IHMO they are the best speakers in the sub 75k range
Again, due to their higher efficiency, they will play much louder than the rest.
However, I havent listened to Def Tech yet - hopefully will be listening to them over the weekend.
Mordaunt Short Genie looks like the best value for money speaker system.

Any comments?

Attachments

• Speaker comparision.xls
    15.5 KB · Views: 225
On Onkyo AVR?s ? they may be overpriced (only in the context that it can be purchased at a lower price abroad ? same goes for the other AVR?s sold here in India ? > Marantz, Denon, and HK) ? but in my view definitely not overrated.

I?m a very satisfied Onkyo user (TS-XR 604). I also have a Marantz SR4600 driving a second HT set up in our den. For a home theater set up I feel the Onkyo is better than the Marantz ? very clear delivery/processing of the surround channel signal. With music the Marantz beats Onkyo hands down. If you want it loud I feel Onkyo will be spot on for your needs. The 604 drives my Wharfedale set up (9.5?s up front, 9CS center, 9.1?s for surround) in our living room (L4.5m x W3.5m x H2.4m) with ease.

I can?t comment on Denon since I have not owned one. But from what I heard Denon makes very good AVR?s. In choosing an AVR I suggest you list down your requirements which can be grouped into the ff.

1. Connectivity ? HDMI, etc
2. Pre-outs
3. Bass Management system ? capability to set a different x-over point per channel
4. Zone 2 capability
5. Auto Set up feature
6. Power rating

On speakers personally if I can, I stay away from HTIB?s and from sat/sub combinations. To my mind separates will almost always perform better than all-in-one systems. On satellites ? I just feel that there?s a frequency gap somewhere ? maybe due to a single small driver.

I would look to the ff. for your needs (not in order of preference):

1. Wharfedale
a. 9.1?s for the front and surrounds
b. 9CS center
c. SW150 sub

2. Mordaunt Short Avant
a. 902i?s for the front and surrounds (or the 903i bipole for surround duty)
b. 905i center
c. 309i sub

3. Athena
a. AS-B2 fronts
b. AS-B1 surrounds
c. AS-C1 center
d. AS-P4000 sub

4. Polk Audio
a. Monitor 40 ? fronts
b. Monitor 30 ? surrounds
c. CS1 ? center
d. PSW 10 or 12 sub

5. Monitor Audio ? I?ve only heard very good feedback on these speakers. Maybe a bit pricey compared to the list above but still worth checking out.

I have not heard Def Techs but I have a friend in the US who swears by them.

As always you should audition all options available to you. Let your ears decide!

Happy hunting and do keep us posted!

CR

Pl see the attached excel file for details. I am comparing the numbers for
Def tech procinema 1000, KEF 2005, Mordant short Genie, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, Epos 5.1.

If I look at the numbers, Procinema 1000 looks to be the clear winner. It has wider frequency range and are the most efficient speakers (highest db)
While reviews were good for all the above brands, I am more towards buying the Procinema & IHMO they are the best speakers in the sub 75k range
Again, due to their higher efficiency, they will play much louder than the rest.
However, I havent listened to Def Tech yet - hopefully will be listening to them over the weekend.
Mordaunt Short Genie looks like the best value for money speaker system.

Any comments?

I would not recommend you to BUY your gear just on specs alone. I would suggest you to hear them all and buy the one that sounds best to you.

I have heard both the wharfedale and epos speakers and they are excellent buys in their price range. If you live in Bangalore, contact the EPOS distributor there for a home demo.

I would not recommend you to BUY your gear just on specs alone. I would suggest you to hear them all and buy the one that sounds best to you.

I have heard both the wharfedale and epos speakers and they are excellent buys in their price range. If you live in Bangalore, contact the EPOS distributor there for a home demo.

Fully agree on this one!

Let your ears decide...

Hi Aravind,

Not sure of one in Gurgoan, but the one in Mumbai is:
Lakozy Impex and Services
Showroom No 3, Lakozy Mansion
21 Chowpatty Seaface
Mumbai 400007
India
Tel : +91 22 23697001/02
Fax : +91 22 23698001
Email: [email protected]

You can probably get in touch with them and ask for a dealer in Gurgoan. I am told that the Procinema 1000 if Rs74500 and 800 is approx Rs 60000.

SS

Hi Suresh,

Thanx for the info. One more info i have a Cambridge 540R AV Receiver will it suit the Pro Cinema 1000. Also I have a Dynaudio Focus 220 pair what is the best AV receiver / Amplifier for it and the cost for the same & availability.

Regards,

Arvind

Dear Arvind,

The Cambridge audio av receivers are good.
Consider the 640R for the Def Tech Procin 1000. It should be a good match.

For the Focus 220 I would recommend a Processor/power amp combo.
The 220s are fine speakers. Most av receivers wont do justice except maybe the flagship models.
Instead at that price, consider the following :

7.1 Processor - Cyrus Audio

Power amp - Cyrus 8 Power x 2 driven in mono - 120 watts -
Cyrus Audio

Also Cyrus X Power x 2 driven in mono - 140 watts -
Cyrus Audio

Regards
SNV

Hello everybody,
This is my first post here. I am based in Chennai.
I am looking for a HT package (speaker and receiver) with a budget of Rs 1 lakh. It will be in my living room - 18ft * 13 ft. I will use it for 80% music and 20% movies (I like to listen to music pretty loud - primarily Hindi and Tamil movie songs). I am quite confused which one to buy. I am looking for a compact package (not interested in floorstanders). I was looking at a few options:

1) Marantz 5001 (Rs35k) with Mordaunt short Genie package (Rs 44k)
2) Onkyo 703 (Rs45k) with Def tech procinema 1000 (Rs 70k) - little over budget though
3) Onkyo HT 990thx - THX certified HT package (Rs 65k)
4) Onkyo 703 (Rs45k) with Wharfedale 9.2 fronts (Rs15k), 9.1 rear (Rs12k) SW-150 sub (Rs17k) and 9CM center (14.5k).

I liked the sound of Marantz and Genie package & Onkyo THX certified package. I liked the Genie better. Will be listening to Def tech this weekend. Not sure if I can listen to Wharfedales in Chennai.

It will be great if somebody can help me out which would be the best for music and movies. Also pl refer me other brands/combinations in the price range.

Thanks in advance!

Dear Suresh,

If you intend to use the set up more for music, then consider the Epos package.
Honestly I have not heard their HT package, but have heard their bookshelfs and they are absolute value for money. Good, musical speakers.
If this set up will be purely for movies, then Def Tech IMO are the best.

On the Av receiver front, consider Marantz & Cambridge audio. I wouldn't recommend Onkyo, not when you plan to use this for 80% music.

Regards
SNV

Last edited:
Hi Suresh,

Thanx for your reply. I am planning to buy Denon AVR 3806 will it do justice.

Regards,

Arvind

I found this on amazon.com as the first customer feedback on Denon 3806. Am forwarding ot to you in the spirit of Caveat Emptor (Buyer beware):)...

By Rodger D. Keesee "HTPC guy" (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews

Apparently great sound and an excellent picture have a steep price. And that price is frustration.

This is the most difficult receiver to use ever built. I'm a network engineer who loves reading operating manuals and home theater is my passion. Forget about the casual user (wife, baby sitter, etc) getting the hang of this thing. How to change an option when I'm looking right at it is a challenge. The whole interface is inconsistant. It's like each section was programmed by different engineers in different countries.

Want more examples?
The Remote: To control the reciever (the most common use) you have to click some hard button on the remote to get the soft buttons to light up. Then you have to click the "amp" soft button. But you better not click it twice because then you are in a different mode and then you have to click it three more times to cycle back to the regular amp control mode. How do you know you are in a different mode? Only by subtle differences in what buttons are enabled. Try telling your wife, "you've clicked the amp button too many times and accidently entered 'system call' mode and erased all of the programmed frequencies and macros". This is a very real possibility with this remote.

I could go on and on with the speaker binding posts being way to close together (too close for even my standard banana plugs), to the labeling of the inputs on the back, to the way you change the soundfield. This thing is user hostile.

God forbid I ever have to set this thing up again.

.....This is the most difficult receiver to use ever built. I'm a network engineer who loves reading operating manuals and home theater is my passion. Forget about the casual user (wife, baby sitter, etc) getting the hang of this thing. How to change an option when I'm looking right at it is a challenge. The whole interface is inconsistant. It's like each section was programmed by different engineers in different countries.....

This is an end user experience who may or may not be a newbe; "HTPC guy" in this case, looks like a computer network geek:rolleyes:

I would like to look at it purely as an individual experience or opinion! Denons imo are one of the best built systems around and setting it up is a breeze IF you know how to do it in the first place.

If one is bad driver, even a Maybach will be an impossible drive.:cool: -OK, i think i could have avioded this last bit.

Best Regards.

Hi

Am looking for a home theater for purchase. My technical knowledge is zero but i love leasting good music. Am ready to spend upto 1.50 lakhs. Can anybody suggest which brand shall i go for. Am staying in Bangalore.

I have visted Onkyo showroom, thought before finalising to check with good friends.

Shankara.K

In addition to those that you are auditioning, also hear the Yamaha 663/863 as well as the Q-Acoustics 1010i 5.1 speaker set.

Cheers

In addition to those that you are auditioning, also hear the Yamaha 663/863 as well as the Q-Acoustics 1010i 5.1 speaker set.

Cheers

Hello Venkat,

You have recommended Q-Accoustics 1010i 5.1 speaker set, I asked in Blore its price it is quoted as 62.5K. You may please tell the is it the reasonable price, if not what is the reasonable price. What is your opinion Energy take classic 5.1 (32.5K).

Someone said marantz beats onkyo hands down in music. Can you provide more details on that?
I have onkyo receiver and I am looking to upgrade for better music. Can you please provide me some parameters to look out for?

You have recommended Q-Accoustics 1010i 5.1 speaker set, I asked in Blore its price it is quoted as 62.5K. You may please tell the is it the reasonable price, if not what is the reasonable price. What is your opinion Energy take classic 5.1 (32.5K).

The correct price should be around 50K.

The Energy Take 5 are also good, excepting they are a sub/sat series. The Q-A are all bookshelf speakers and have a deeper and more dynamic sound. For most music, the Take 5 will sound a bit shrill, while bookshelf speakers will sound warm and nice.

Cheers

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back