Home theater room - need advice

It is among the best ways to go forward, by browsing this and other forums to get ideas about making a home theatre, in other words it is much better then depending on the professionals, or should i say so called professionals?

It is a great idea to have a dedicated home theater, very few people on this soil can thing of such a magnitude.

The theatre to have on the top floor is the best way out.

To have the theatre room length of 30 feet is the best way to go forward, if one needs to have a 120 inches screen.

There will be a lot of concealed wiring and cables which has to be handled, with spare capacity if some changes are required later, backed with several plug points so that one does not use a extension board.

Venkat and other leading forum members can give a lot of advice in the right direction, but the issue will be how much can you follow it. There are around 5/8 members who have made dedicated home theatre, they can throw a lot of light on practical grounds too.

About the room size being big, it all depends upon your passion for movies, i would surely go for such a big room.

About a mini bar, i would keep away completely, the theatre should be a theater only.

About the drawings for plug point, etc, first one has to be sure for the theatre room size and the gadgets which one wants to go ahead.

About sound proofing, this stage will come much later on, but what you have to tell the builder most importantly that the windows should have acoustic glass and he should seal all sound leaking areas. However to have a theatre in the right direction, the room should not have any sort of windows.

Vinay.

Hi friends I have been browsing thru this forum for many weeks for getting ideas about Home Theater setup and I am glad to say that I have learnt a lot (Yet to learn lot more!!) about audio and video equipments.Now I am planning to have a dedicated home theater room in the flat we are planning to buy in Kerala.My flat will be in the second/top floor and the builder has given me a proposal...he clubbed 3 flats in to one and the HT room takes the space of a 1 BHK apts...which I think will be an extravaganza...so I called him and told that the HT rooms looks very big (30 ft long I suppose) and I dont be wanting such a huge space...so he told me to check about the dimensions and let him know within a week so that he can partition the room and make an extra bedroom...also he asked me what my other requirements would (ie plug points,speaker holes,wiring etc) be.....

Venkat and Vinay have been giving me advices from time to time and I am very grateful for their support...I am putting this thread to hear about your ideas and points...

1) Do you think the size of the room is too big/unnecessary ?

2) Do you think a mini-bar (builder's suggestion)can be set up in the corner replacing the toilet ?

3) Can any of you please make a drawing (ie plug points,speaker positioning etc) from my image and send it to me so that I can show to my builder

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

Please ask me if you need to know anything more about the plan....

Also I would like to know if I should let the builder know about my sound proofing/ sound absorption requirements

I would not go for a blue ray player, as to buy these movies will be so expensive, especially if one is going to see around 15 movies a month. It is the best to have movies in digital format in form of downloaded movies, so external hard disk is the way to go forward.

I would not go for a set top box because to watch TV programmes via projector, with so many advertisements, etc, is not a good way unless you want to watch some major sports events, projectors are best for movie viewing or with games.

If you need seating for 12 people and above, then 30 feet theatre room is the only way to go forward. The more bigger the room, more the bank balance will sink.

Vinay.

I am planning to have an HD projector + WD TV (or a NMT) + BLURAY PLAYER + 7.1 CH Receiver + 5.1/7.1 speaker setup + SET TOP BOX

(I will be asking u advices on what to buy after the room is done...)

I am a 99% movie guy (I am not very much interested in music) and I would like to have a screen size of 120" and a seating of 3 rows (Atleast 12 people)

I also am of a strong view to take view on acoustics from a professional, but they are rare to be found, and then how much do they know about it is a big question mark? That is a another story to get such a correct guy in kerala, will be a miracle.

An acoustic guy has no concern to comment on the plug points, etc. The best way is to take help from some leading forum members or the guys who have made a theatre in their house.

To hire a consultant from a another city, and he taking you through via drawings and phone calls is no way a correct way to go forward.

Vinay.

I think you should take help from an acoustics expert. It is highly recommended. Comparing his charges to the total cost of the room+ equipment, it will work out to be a very small amount, believe me.
He will give you all the drawings with plug points etc.
I learnt this the hard way. Although, this forum can help you a lot- no question about it.

I can give u contact details on an acoustic consultant. He did wonders for my HT. He is based in Mumbai and he use to send me designs via mail. We exchanged quite a few mails and chatted a few times. He never visted my place.

I strongly recommend u to consider this.

Sumit

I think the plan for the full house will not be material. Please consider to make a plan for only the theatre room.

Please be guided that when you make a plan for the theatre room, members will suggest several good inputs, then you will have to make the drawing again, this way you will have to do the drawing 2/3 times, then only you will have a clear and correct picture, if one will fail on this ground, then you can be assured that the foundation stone will be lousy, so the end result of a theatre, will be anybody's guess.

Vinay.

drawingt.jpg

It is all about passion for movies and a dedicated theatre room. I have sacrificed one bedroom, a bathroom, a large window view which was very good as i am on the 10th floor, the view was of so many sky scraper buildings. I have sealed the windows into a wall.

Vinay.

Excuse me for saying so, the HT room seems disproportionate to the rest of your flat. You may want to discuss with your family, friends and see how best to utilize the space you have got there at the risk of crunching your HT room. A typical Indian family spends most of their (non-sleeping) time in the living room and you need to seriously think about it. I feel that investing in a HT room at the expense of a 3rd BR is something that you might regret later.

Yeah, the above comments are made without any inkling of your age, profile, family etc., I am sure you will relate to all these much better than any of us and make an appropriate decision. All the best!

I think it will be a insult to the theatre room, if you will accomdate people there to sleep.

Vinay.

I am open to suggestions...My family consists of my dad,my sis,my bro-in-law and their kid (I am bachelor as of now and planning to get married next year - GODWILLING!!)....My dad lives in a separate house which he constructed for my sister (thats a 3 BHK independant house) and my sis and family stays in mumbai at present as her hus is working there...since mine is a small family I dont think there will be any issue if I dont have a 3rd bedroom (Btw if worst thing happens I can accommodate few ppl in my HT room also...).....Anyway the option for a 3rd bedroom is still there but you guys have to help me fix the dimension of my HT room.....

The false walls is a very good idea, curved seating will not be a good move, raised seating could be a better idea.

Vinay.

QUOTE=cmsajith;60301]
Also you need to add some false walls (this will help in sound isolation also) to both the sides of the HT room (in length wise) to get the ideal HT room shape. Also you can try curved seating in 2/3 levels to accommodate maximum number of people in less space.[/QUOTE]

Hi Vinay when I called the builder and told my requirements he told me that he can make the room windowless (He will just keep a panel like window and seal it from inside just for the sake of elevation) so that part is no issue I suppose.The set top box is not for viewing serials of Cinemas but to watch cricket/football so I wont be using my projector time unnecessarily on set top box content.This flat is where I am planning to settle so what ever I am spending on this is considered a long term investment.

As regards to passion...I have been watching atleast 7 movies a week average for the last 2-3 years (Tamil,Telugu,Hindi,English and Malayalam) and apart from reading fiction (Robert Ludlum,Frederic Forsyth types) watching movies is my greatest passion.I also agree with Vinay regarding the HDD part....I have a WD player and about 450 HQ movies in HDD and the experience of watching those movies in big screen is uncomparable...most of the time I have felt that the sound and Picture quality is better than the theaters here (dull screen,screaming speakers!!)

Now reagarding the bluray player...even I agree with the fact that BDs are costly affair (Here in Muscat I havent even seen one in the shelves) but once you watch a Bluray disc in full glory you will never ever watch a compressed version again (Lol...isnt that what happened to DVDs after watching BD rips..).I ordered RAMBO Quadrilogy (Rambo is my fav action movie tilldate) bluray thru E-bay and received the discs couple of days back..since I dont have a bluray player I decided to buy one and took the discs for checking to the nearby electronic showroom and they played the disc and I shud say that the PQ is stunning...I decided to buy the player on a later date coz even if I buy I wont be able to get the full SQ as I am using a receiver which dont have an HDMI connection...Buying those discs from US is very cheap..there are many forums where they sell used (may be one tym viewing) and unpacked discs for as little as 10-15 dollars (Thats what we pay for a DVD now isntit ??) and they will even give discount if u take more titles.I have ordered about 9 discs for $ 122 (Including shipping) and I am planning to slowly add more discs to my collection so that buy the tym I have a dedicated HT and bluray player I will be having a reasonable stock (The issue is that I watch the didgital copies once its released so by the tym I get the disc i wudve watched the movie already!!!).

The false walls is a very good idea, curved seating will not be a good move, raised seating could be a better idea.

Vinay.

QUOTE=cmsajith;60301]
Also you need to add some false walls (this will help in sound isolation also) to both the sides of the HT room (in length wise) to get the ideal HT room shape. Also you can try curved seating in 2/3 levels to accommodate maximum number of people in less space.
[/QUOTE]

He has mentioned curved seating in 2-3 levels (ie raised levels i suppose)..will that be an issue ??

I also am of a strong view to take view on acoustics from a professional, but they are rare to be found, and then how much do they know about it is a big question mark? That is a another story to get such a correct guy in kerala, will be a miracle.

An acoustic guy has no concern to comment on the plug points, etc. The best way is to take help from some leading forum members or the guys who have made a theatre in their house.

To hire a consultant from a another city, and he taking you through via drawings and phone calls is no way a correct way to go forward.

Vinay.

As you have rightly pointed out...getting an acoustic expert who knows what he is doing is a rarity and the availability of such a person in a place like kerala is really a MIRACLE.So I have to depend upon the sources and references I am getting this forum...and Sumit is very much happy with the services of the acoustic expert.I have contacted him and he told me that he will check my drawing and get back to me.Anyway I am sure that people like you,Venkat etc will be ready to help me by coming down to kerala..so I am having my fingers crossed...

Vinay.

With all due respect to Vinay, I am giving a positive feedback on the acoustic consultant that helped me. I was getting terrible sound in my HT until this guy stepped in and improve the sound by leaps-and-bounds!!!
He insisted that I should go for DIY trap boxes instead of branded stuff. He saved me a lot of money here.I don't think it is fair to generalise- "all professionals are alike!!!"

He helped me from 1000kms away with CAD drawings and phonecalls!!!! Would you rather have him visit the place and pay for dozens of airline trips!!!
He will tell you where to have your plug-points etc as he will give you the orientation of the speakers and HI-fi!

People, I am a very.......very satisifed customer here. Why is it so difficult to believe??

Vinay, perhaps you have a bad experience with one of the acoustics consultants while you were building your magnificent HT. I can understand your feelings here. But, I have a positive feedback here from one. I hope u understand.

Cheers

Sumit

If you will make the room windowless, you will hit a bulls eye, a geniune theatre has to be without the windows, among the advantages are, sound quality of the room will improve, there is no question of dust and sunlinght from outside, and most importantly the theatre interior effect will improve dramitically. I think there is no need of any elevation, just keep the room open for an hour during the day and once a week, keep it open for the night. The elevation will fall in place, because when you install a split air condition, the unit will have to be outside, so that small window will do the job of elevation, but this window also should have a wooden door if the need be, so you can even open this window for an hour or so once in every 2 days.

It is good when you say that you will use the set top box for major events only. Indeed you have to plan for long term, so the vision has to be there, that is a good one, in other words a lot more planning will have to be done on this count, which will surface at a later point of time, then we can talk about it.

In reference to your passion, which is higher then me too, congratulations. With this passion we have more to gain less to loose.

Well you have a great collection of high definition movies which is very good, watching DVDs, the days are numbered, i came across a member who has given up watching vcd's two years ago, and now it seems since 6 months he has walked out on DVDs too, he uses only high definition movies.

To use gadgets like wdtv and related are good ways to go forward, especially if one watches a lot of movies.

I fully agree with you that once we have a good theatre at our place, one will forget to a large extent in going to a theatre. I have not been to a theatre since 2 years, earlier i used to go to a cinema hall thrice a month.

Indeed by watching movies via blue ray player will take you a step forward, but then i feel it is not much worth it, because movies are like a thermocal glass, most of the times we will not watch a movie again, so then why spend so much on a thermocal glass? I think in one's movies portfolio, one should not have more then 3% of his collection in blue ray. There are more benefits with digital movies (ripped) compared to a blue ray.

Vinay.

Hi Vinay when I called the builder and told my requirements he told me that he can make the room windowless (He will just keep a panel like window and seal it from inside just for the sake of elevation) so that part is no issue I suppose.The set top box is not for viewing serials of Cinemas but to watch cricket/football so I wont be using my projector time unnecessarily on set top box content.This flat is where I am planning to settle so what ever I am spending on this is considered a long term investment.

As regards to passion...I have been watching atleast 7 movies a week average for the last 2-3 years (Tamil,Telugu,Hindi,English and Malayalam) and apart from reading fiction (Robert Ludlum,Frederic Forsyth types) watching movies is my greatest passion.I also agree with Vinay regarding the HDD part....I have a WD player and about 450 HQ movies in HDD and the experience of watching those movies in big screen is uncomparable...most of the time I have felt that the sound and Picture quality is better than the theaters here (dull screen,screaming speakers!!)

Now reagarding the bluray player...even I agree with the fact that BDs are costly affair (Here in Muscat I havent even seen one in the shelves) but once you watch a Bluray disc in full glory you will never ever watch a compressed version again (Lol...isnt that what happened to DVDs after watching BD rips..).I ordered RAMBO Quadrilogy (Rambo is my fav action movie tilldate) bluray thru E-bay and received the discs couple of days back..since I dont have a bluray player I decided to buy one and took the discs for checking to the nearby electronic showroom and they played the disc and I shud say that the PQ is stunning...I decided to buy the player on a later date coz even if I buy I wont be able to get the full SQ as I am using a receiver which dont have an HDMI connection...Buying those discs from US is very cheap..there are many forums where they sell used (may be one tym viewing) and unpacked discs for as little as 10-15 dollars (Thats what we pay for a DVD now isntit ??) and they will even give discount if u take more titles.I have ordered about 9 discs for $ 122 (Including shipping) and I am planning to slowly add more discs to my collection so that buy the tym I have a dedicated HT and bluray player I will be having a reasonable stock (The issue is that I watch the didgital copies once its released so by the tym I get the disc i wudve watched the movie already!!!).

Last edited:
I think curved seating will still not be a good idea, even if it is raised, as it will occupy more space, and there could be some more issues, i think curve may work better where the room is much larger than yours and mine. I have seen most of the theatres which are not curved for seating. The guy who has suggested you curved seating, is he a interior guy?

Vinay.

Last edited:
Indeed to get an acoustic expert is like trying to get a camel milk.

For acoustics and other home theatre related works, It is indeed a smart move to depend upon the forum members as they could know much more better then most of the so called consultants.

It is very good that sumit is happy with the consultant, i am very happy for him that he found the right guy. I think in most of the cases one is not happy with the so called consultants. About the drawing to sumit, i have requested in the earlier post to make the drawing again so that way sumit and others will be able to throw a organized light of ideas, etc.

I am always willing to come with you to kerala, home theatre is my passion. I feel you should come and stay at my house for a day or two, so that you can have a much better idea, to take the things forward. I will take you to one more members house who has made a theatre, and then if you can visit sumit's theatre, that too will be a very good idea. I am sure venkat will oblige you a visit, there are some other leading members also who could visit your place, especially the banglore members.

Vinay.

As you have rightly pointed out...getting an acoustic expert who knows what he is doing is a rarity and the availability of such a person in a place like kerala is really a MIRACLE.So I have to depend upon the sources and references I am getting this forum...and Sumit is very much happy with the services of the acoustic expert.I have contacted him and he told me that he will check my drawing and get back to me.Anyway I am sure that people like you,Venkat etc will be ready to help me by coming down to kerala..so I am having my fingers crossed...

Sumit,

It is very good that you were able to get a good consultant for the sound. Congratulations.

On basis of my experience and what i keep hearing around, these MOST of the so called consultants keep making you spend more and more money backed with lesser and lesser knowledge, to top it up they want to give you the minimum time. In view to this i think some of the leading forum members will be able to give the best of advice, with lower spending, backed with a lot of time to attend the project.

As said earlier to get a consultant from your own city is a much fair way out because of the various issues, so that the airline bills you do not have to pay. :yahoo:

Did anyone tell you that you are not a satisfied customer and that one is not ready to believe you? I did not see anyone writing such a thing. I surely believe you, why would you speak a lies? Congratulations again.

Thanks.

Vinay.

With all due respect to Vinay, I am giving a positive feedback on the acoustic consultant that helped me. I was getting terrible sound in my HT until this guy stepped in and improve the sound by leaps-and-bounds!!!
He insisted that I should go for DIY trap boxes instead of branded stuff. He saved me a lot of money here.I don't think it is fair to generalise- "all professionals are alike!!!"

He helped me from 1000kms away with CAD drawings and phonecalls!!!! Would you rather have him visit the place and pay for dozens of airline trips!!!
He will tell you where to have your plug-points etc as he will give you the orientation of the speakers and HI-fi!

People, I am a very.......very satisifed customer here. Why is it so difficult to believe??

Vinay, perhaps you have a bad experience with one of the acoustics consultants while you were building your magnificent HT. I can understand your feelings here. But, I have a positive feedback here from one. I hope u understand.

Cheers

Sumit

Sumit,
Did anyone tell you that you are not a satisfied customer and that one is not ready to believe you? I did not see anyone writing such a thing. I surely believe you, why would you speak a lies? Congratulations again.

Thanks.

Vinay.

Vinay, my friend...there is no 'lying' involved. It was a figure-of-speech. Thats it!! Now lets get together to help Renjith here. Hope all is cool.
Looking forward to see your HT.

Cheers!!

Renjithvakkayil, on last Sunday, i have written a lot on ideas toward your proposed home theatre, but you just did not reply a word, while on the same day which was a Sunday, you were seen writing on thread "The Movies I Liked".

This is not fair on your part, i had to take a lot of time out to write those contents, and you are just not bothered, this is not done, i think one should do some basic learning to value the free advice.

Regards

Vinay.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back