Home theater set up - Bangalore

shiva_n

This is my first post. I am new to the home theater space. I live in Bangalore and am actively looking for someone who can give me an end to end solution. I am looking for help with buying and setting up, not sure if there is anyone in Bangalore who does it. I am interested in making a DLP/LCD projector with screen as part of the home theater. I am not very keen on a hi tec sound system, something decent will do. I am however particular about picture quality. Can I get some suggestions on who I can contact to get started?

Hi,

Siva Welcome to the forum and have pleasant stay here :)!

Coming to your quires,There are quite a few people doing what you asked !

But My personal Recommendation is Anand from Decibels ;) ! He's a nice and easy guy to deal with ! Call him on the number below and take it further.

Anand.B.R : 9886722937

I am not very keen on a hi tec sound system,

Could you please throw some light on this ? I mean what exactly do you mean by hitech ?? also if your picture is top notch isn't the sound expected to be in same range to give you a proper feel of the movie (or whatever you are watching)

Regards.

Hi Soundsgreat,

Sorry , I should have been more specific. What I mean is that , when it comes to sound I do not want to spend maximum efforts and money into the equipment. I am fine with a decent amplifier and speakers, I am not looking for something that is very expensive. I am aware of the brands in the market and some of them charge an arm and a leg when it comes to a sound system. While I understand that good sound is very important to the over all set up, it is not my primary focus area. The technicalities of acoustics can be mind boggling, I would rather settle for a decent mid range sound system and nothing that is too expensive or over the roof. Thank you for the number, I will surely get in touch with Anand to find out the possibilities.

Do you have any suggestions as to how a projector can be connected to say a blue ray player and also my cable? Or rather, which projectors support such a set up. Would you recommend a DLP or LCD? My room is not very large, it is a 11X12 room.

Hi Soundsgreat,

Sorry , I should have been more specific. What I mean is that , when it comes to sound I do not want to spend maximum efforts and money into the equipment. I am fine with a decent amplifier and speakers, I am not looking for something that is very expensive. I am aware of the brands in the market and some of them charge an arm and a leg when it comes to a sound system. While I understand that good sound is very important to the over all set up, it is not my primary focus area. The technicalities of acoustics can be mind boggling, I would rather settle for a decent mid range sound system and nothing that is too expensive or over the roof. Thank you for the number, I will surely get in touch with Anand to find out the possibilities.

Do you have any suggestions as to how a projector can be connected to say a blue ray player and also my cable? Or rather, which projectors support such a set up. Would you recommend a DLP or LCD? My room is not very large, it is a 11X12 room.

hi, shiva connection to the projector should be via HDMI , via your source (bluray/dvdp)or routed thro your AVR ,go for a full HD projector either OPTOMA HD80 series (DLP) or sanyo Z7000/panasonic AE3000 (LCD), DLP wud be a better option as the black levels may be a little better ,but reviews claim the lcd HD models are extremly good too-,also do invest in a good AVR and spkr system---------subhash

Hi,

Siva nothing to apologise ! its ok no problems !

Now what you say makes some sense :)! although its whole different story as to what constitutes as what (meaning which is Mid-End and which not and Viceversa ) but your choice for a decent sounding system is good !

Buddy all projectors in today's date have HDMI input (default method for connecting a Blu-ray player) so you don't have really worry bout that ! As with the cable, if you have set-top box then the composite signal from that can be given to projectors composite inputs (but the picture quality will be nothing great )

Finally I would strongly recommend LCD as its best among the two :eek:hyeah:!!

For further details you can always talk to Anand as he is a very competent person and has a good grip on the subject :)!

Else we are always here to help ;)!

Regards.

Hi,

SG, could you pls explain why you think LCD is better than DLP? All this time I was under the impression its the other way around.

Vishanv, The LCD projector is a better option coz,There are tonnes of reasons but here's the broad outline as to why its better !

1)The LCD technology is very old and much more matured compared to DLP.
The DLP is relatively new and is yet to evolve

2)The LCD has No patented or copyrighted technology (meaning in general not subject wise ) so no royalty
The DLP technology is patented by Texas Instruments and one needs to pay Royalty for each set sold (irrespective of the Brand)

3)The picture quality is better as the images are produced by LCD and can be razor sharp

In DLP the Images are produced by the Chip itself and can be susceptible to quality issues (although they have really come up with DARK CHIP).

4) Since images are produced by LCD the average life of the projector is more (not including the Lamp though,As lamp have almost normal life)

In DLP since picture is produced by the CHIP ( The IC ) and since this chip is silicon based its life is much less due to excess heat and such.

5)In LCD option of having a 3LCD which can give real high contrast ratio and very high quality picture.

In DLP although there are multiple chip units but that limited to 2 (someone correct if Am wrong) and that too its almost the same.

Well these are some highlights of the LCD and as to why its better. Hope this helps.

Regards.

Hi,

Vishanv, The LCD projector is a better option coz,There are tonnes of reasons but here's the broad outline as to why its better !

2)The LCD has No patented or copyrighted technology (meaning in general not subject wise ) so no royalty
The DLP technology is patented by Texas Instruments and one needs to pay Royalty for each set sold (irrespective of the Brand)

3)The picture quality is better as the images are produced by LCD and can be razor sharp

In DLP the Images are produced by the Chip itself and can be susceptible to quality issues (although they have really come up with DARK CHIP).

4) Since images are produced by LCD the average life of the projector is more (not including the Lamp though,As lamp have almost normal life)

In DLP since picture is produced by the CHIP ( The IC ) and since this chip is silicon based its life is much less due to excess heat and such.

5)In LCD option of having a 3LCD which can give real high contrast ratio and very high quality picture.

In DLP although there are multiple chip units but that limited to 2 (someone correct if Am wrong) and that too its almost the same.

Well these are some highlights of the LCD and as to why its better. Hope this helps.

Regards.

unfortunately I cannot agree with you on a few points.

3. Sharp images alone do not make better picture quality.

4. I read about a study by Texas Instruments showing image degradation in LCD over long term usage.

5. many sites suggest DLP produces better contrast and movie image than LCD. I visited a pro-AV show last month, Christie stall contained almost 90% DLP projectors, basically for their better performance.

There are 3 chip DLPs, but they are very expensive. still I have a feeling DLP has a slight edge over LCD for HT applications.

Nonethless, I appreciate you taking time to reply.

This thread may take on a sinister turn. However there are some gaps in your statements.

Hi,

Old technology does not necessarily mean better technology. Good examples are telephones or telecommunication networks. DLP has been around for a while and is newer than LCD but it has also matured a fair bit.

There are multiple patents on LCD approved for Honeywell, Samsung and Panasonic.

DLP has also produced excellent quality pictures. The blacks are one of the best even compared to the plasma technology. The biggest issue was bulb life and that is being taken care in the recent models.

Both LCD and DLP projectors use lamps and they are quite comparable re: half life. The typical time to change is about 6-7 years for each given average viewing of 5-6 hrs/day.

DLP bulbs do require changing and are quite expensive. So you are correct here. But this has already changed. Read further.

Regards.

Not sure what you mean here so will not comment.

As I noted before the bulb was the weak point of the DLP offerings. The newer LED based DLP has enabled excellent quality TVs and I have reviewed a 58 inch samsung. The pictures are excellent and the price is much lower compared to Plasma and LCD. Now this is a happy medium.

Buy a WXGA or WXGA-H projector with atleat 1500 lumens, component or HDMI connectors. Make sure the models you buy have internal scalers as these are key to viewing the TV signals.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back