Home theater setup advice Budget 2.5 lakhs.

plunawat

Hi All,
I am from Pune and looking for a new home theater setup. I will be setting it up in a new apartment I will be moving shortly. Need an advice on setting up the home theater. Please consider below details:

Home theater will be setup in living room. The room dimension are 19x14 feet. Sitting arrangement will be such that TV / Front speakers will be 12-14 feet from the sitting area and couch will be against the wall. (So surround setup needs to cover 12x14 area). Front speakers can be 6 feet apart max. There is big window behind the couch.

I have kept option open for soundbar, satellites and floorstanding + rear bookshelfs. Below are the deatils of my hunting so far:
  1. Soundbars - Have auditioned sony HT-ST5000 and sounded good to me for movies. Didn't like it much for music though. Haven't got chance to audition LD SK10Y yet
  2. Satellites - Have read good reviews for Q Acoutics 7000i Plus and looking for a demo of the same. Please let me know if any one has experienced it before?
  3. Floor standing - Have auditioned DALI (zensor 5) and Q-acoustics 3050 (not i). Liked Q - acoustics. Also considering Taga platinum 100 se v3 (not sure if they are available for demo in pune. HIFImart say they cannot demo it as they ship it directly from warehouse)
Budget is up-to 2.5 L (Max. stretched). Advice I am looking for is whether to go for soundbar(Will try out LG SK10Y.. not sure where its available though) / satellites / or standard FS+BS setup. Also a place to get auditioned in Pune / Mumbai.

Thanks in advance

Home theater will be setup in living room. The room dimension are 19x14 feet. Sitting arrangement will be such that TV / Front speakers will be 12-14 feet from the sitting area and couch will be against the wall. (So surround setup needs to cover 12x14 area). Front speakers can be 6 feet apart max. There is big window behind the couch.

Please share some pics of the room..

Budget is up-to 2.5 L (Max. stretched). Advice I am looking for is whether to go for soundbar(Will try out LG SK10Y.. not sure where its available though) / satellites / or standard FS+BS setup. I have kept option open for soundbar, satellites and floorstanding + rear bookshelfs. Below are the deatils of my hunting so far:

- For a budget of upto 2.5L. you may consider full size HT than the soundbar..
- Pioneer LX 303, Marantz SR 6013 and Denon x 4500 are some of the AVR's capable of 5.1.4 out of the box.. (AVR order listed according to retial price)..
- If you have false ceiling, then i would suggest 5 identical bed speakers, 4 identical ceiling speakers (preferably from the same brand & series) and 2 identical subwoofers..

Please share some pics of the room..

- For a budget of upto 2.5L. you may consider full size HT than the soundbar..
- Pioneer LX 303, Marantz SR 6013 and Denon x 4500 are some of the AVR's capable of 5.1.4 out of the box.. (AVR order listed according to retial price)..
- If you have false ceiling, then i would suggest 5 identical bed speakers, 4 identical ceiling speakers (preferably from the same brand & series) and 2 identical subwoofers..
Thanks for the reply.Will share the details asap

Get a Marantz 5012 or 5013 or Denon 2400 receiver and Elac Debut 5.0 speakers or Dali Zensor 5.0 speakers or KEF Q series speakers and get a pair of XTZ 8.17 or 10.17 subwoofers. It will be a killer system for 2.5lakh.

2.5L max for now or you are willing to spend more in the future? If 2.5L is the max u want to spend, then the best would be denon2400 or 2500 paired with Dali’ zensor 5 or 7 and Dali Zensor vokal for centre and Dali Z1 or z3 as surrounds.If u dont want dali you can try q acoustics. Subwoofer bic pl200-ii. If u have a plan to spend more in the future u can go for denon 4500.

Last edited:
Hi plunawat....

In my previous flat, i had a 5.1 setup with a marantz sr6011 and the qacoustics q7000i 5.1 package in a 11x14ft room. It sounded really great both for music and movies. And was stylish to look at too.

Subsequently when i moved to my present flat, i have replacee the front LCR with the qacoustics concept series. And there has been an improvement in scale. But i dont think the improvement was worth the extra outlay, considering the price difference.

So i would give the q7000i a solid recommendation, if you can listen to them once.

Our hearing is a very subjective thing, and our forum member Dr.krack tried the q7000i satellites in his room, and he felt they sounded bright to him. So he has gone for a monitor audio mass 5.1 system, which he is very happy with.

So all in all, i would strongly recommend a 5.1 satellite package for a room of 12x14. Trying to use floor standers or book shelves will impose their own placement issues.

Below are some 5.1 systems that come to mind :

1. Qacoustics q7000i
2. Monitor audio mass
3. Kef E series 5.1
4. Kef T series 5.1
5. Tannoy Hts
6. B&W mt 50
7. Focal sib 5.1
8. Def tech cinema 5.1

In addition to the above, you can add 4 inceiling speakers placed inside the ceiling, for a full 5.1.4 atmos setup. I have a similar 5.1.4 setup in a 11x17 ft room with all qacoustics speakers and a marantz sr6011. The inceilings are some cheap yamaha IWC series speakers i bought off amazon. And they are working really well. Dont think we need to spend a lot on inceiling speakers as they are only for effects.

Hi plunawat....

In my previous flat, i had a 5.1 setup with a marantz sr6011 and the qacoustics q7000i 5.1 package in a 11x14ft room. It sounded really great both for music and movies. And was stylish to look at too.

Subsequently when i moved to my present flat, i have replacee the front LCR with the qacoustics concept series. And there has been an improvement in scale. But i dont think the improvement was worth the extra outlay, considering the price difference.

So i would give the q7000i a solid recommendation, if you can listen to them once.

Our hearing is a very subjective thing, and our forum member Dr.krack tried the q7000i satellites in his room, and he felt they sounded bright to him. So he has gone for a monitor audio mass 5.1 system, which he is very happy with.

So all in all, i would strongly recommend a 5.1 satellite package for a room of 12x14. Trying to use floor standers or book shelves will impose their own placement issues.

Below are some 5.1 systems that come to mind :

1. Qacoustics q7000i
2. Monitor audio mass
3. Kef E series 5.1
4. Kef T series 5.1
5. Tannoy Hts
6. B&W mt 50
7. Focal sib 5.1
8. Def tech cinema 5.1
Thanks.this is helpful. I will definitely audition as suggested.

In addition to the above, you can add 4 inceiling speakers placed inside the ceiling, for a full 5.1.4 atmos setup. I have a similar 5.1.4 setup in a 11x17 ft room with all qacoustics speakers and a marantz sr6011. The inceilings are some cheap yamaha IWC series speakers i bought off amazon. And they are working really well. Dont think we need to spend a lot on inceiling speakers as they are only for effects.
Thanks for the reply

2.5L max for now or you are willing to spend more in the future? If 2.5L is the max u want to spend, then the best would be denon2400 or 2500 paired with Dali’ zensor 5 or 7 and Dali Zensor vokal for centre and Dali Z1 or z3 as surrounds.If u dont want dali you can try q acoustics. Subwoofer bic pl200-ii. If u have a plan to spend more in the future u can go for denon 4500.
Thanks for the reply. Will consider this suggestion

Get a Marantz 5012 or 5013 or Denon 2400 receiver and Elac Debut 5.0 speakers or Dali Zensor 5.0 speakers or KEF Q series speakers and get a pair of XTZ 8.17 or 10.17 subwoofers. It will be a killer system for 2.5lakh.
Thanks for the reply. I will consider this suggestion

Hi , Do you mind sharing the details and the cost of the Yamaha ceiling speakers.. And where did you get them from?
They seem like a great option for Atmos ceiling speakers !

Are FMs also aware of similar commercial/installation speakers from other brands.. I have seen Bose, Soundwater and even Ahuja ceiling speakers in malls!

Hi , Do you mind sharing the details and the cost of the Yamaha ceiling speakers.. And where did you get them from?
They seem like a great option for Atmos ceiling speakers !

Are FMs also aware of similar commercial/installation speakers from other brands.. I have seen Bose, Soundwater and even Ahuja ceiling speakers in malls!

Hi buxx...
I bought my speakers from amazon. Please find the link below :)
https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B000O3TFZO/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dear Plunawat, I just got a living room HT done which includes Dali Oberon 5, Oberon Vocal, Alteco c-1 for surround, SVS PB 1000 sub and Denon 2500X AVR, all for under 2.5 lakhs. Living room is 18*28 feet. Sounds really good.

I am also on a hunt for atmos speakers. How good are these? sound quality and signature is very important for me. Any thoughts on how they will blend with the dali zensors?

Hi...

To be honest I haven't paid too much attention to how they sound in isolation. They are doing great for Atmos, without drawing too much attention to themselves. Which I consider to be a good thing. Atleast as far as my setup goes, I don't need anything more than this. I guess they are par for the rest of the setup. Unless you are looking for a high end sound, I don't think they will disappoint.

@newlash09 : Oh.. looks like you have mounted these in a false ceiling.. or did you get an enclosure made for them..?

@newlash09 : Oh.. looks like you have mounted these in a false ceiling.. or did you get an enclosure made for them..?
Hi again buxx...I have them mounted inside the false ceiling. But if you are considering these speakers, please put extra aluminium bracing near the planned mounting location of these speakers. They go down to 50hz, so can rumble the ceiling if it's not rigid enough

The speakers come with a included template. Your false ceiling guy just has to place the template on the false ceiling and cut it as per the template. Then the speakers come with mounting clips which fix the speakers rigidly in this cutout. Was very very easy in the end . I had run the wiring inside the false ceiling as I had pre planned their exact locations. So just had to attach the cables to the spring loaded binding posts, and then push the speaker into the enclosure. Almost a DIY thing if you can cut the false ceiling.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back