Home Theater Setup - Need help

prafful.nagwani

Hey,

Planning to buy this setup. Looking for inputs / ideas / suggestions. 70% movies / 30% music.

Also, any help with dealers in Pune would be helpful. Also looking for installation and calibration.

1. DENON AMPLIFIER MODEL NUM: AVR-510VT
2. TANNOY MERCURY FRONT SPEAKERS MODEL NUM: V-4I
3. TANNOY MERCURY CENTER SPEAKER MODEL NUM: C-1
4. TANNOY MERCURY REAR BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS MODEL NUM: V-1I

Thanks in advance.

Hey,

Planning to buy this setup. Looking for inputs / ideas / suggestions. 70% movies / 30% music.

Also, any help with dealers in Pune would be helpful. Also looking for installation and calibration.

Thanks in advance.

Recent lots of Denon amplifiers have been facing a lot of overheating issues. While the company may have corrected the issue, I would still not suggest Denon to you. You can go for a Yamaha or Onkyo amplifier in the same range.

looks like a killer setup esp with the tannoy speakers. let us know how it works out...

Recent lots of Denon amplifiers have been facing a lot of overheating issues. While the company may have corrected the issue, I would still not suggest Denon to you. You can go for a Yamaha or Onkyo amplifier in the same range.

I have not come across such many issues. Actually it's the other way round. I have read many overheating issues about onkyo avr's. The x510 is a very capable avr and though misses out on audyssey, it does have its own calibration system. Note that many onkyo avrs are now dropping audyssey and including their own calibration accu eq. Same with Yamaha which uses y-pao. The upgrade to x1100w would definitely be better than x1100w but don't hesitate if you don't have the budget for it. I say get the best speakers you can for the price and get an entry level receiver, since nowadays electronics can just fail anytime and if it's out of warranty, you infact get a heafty bill for repair. The costlier the avr, more costlier is the repair. In that regard you go in for demon, Yamaha, onkyo, marantz, h/k, pioneer, etc you have an equal chance that the product may work or not. Also note that different receivers have different sound signatures and you must have an audition to decide the best out of the lot

Not sure about the over heating issues. But some of the dealers told the number of complaints they get on latest Denon x1100w series is more. May be because of so much of features packed even in the entry models. Not to mention many have posted about unreliable bluetooth connectivity.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

A quick question, do I need a sub-woofer. The price I am getting for this combo (without sub-woofer) is 1.09 lacs. (cabling and cables extra).

I have not come across such many issues. Actually it's the other way round. I have read many overheating issues about onkyo avr's. The x510 is a very capable avr and though misses out on audyssey, it does have its own calibration system. Note that many onkyo avrs are now dropping audyssey and including their own calibration accu eq. Same with Yamaha which uses y-pao. The upgrade to x1100w would definitely be better than x1100w but don't hesitate if you don't have the budget for it. I say get the best speakers you can for the price and get an entry level receiver, since nowadays electronics can just fail anytime and if it's out of warranty, you infact get a heafty bill for repair. The costlier the avr, more costlier is the repair. In that regard you go in for demon, Yamaha, onkyo, marantz, h/k, pioneer, etc you have an equal chance that the product may work or not. Also note that different receivers have different sound signatures and you must have an audition to decide the best out of the lot

Not sure about the over heating issues. But some of the dealers told the number of complaints they get on latest Denon x1100w series is more. May be because of so much of features packed even in the entry models. Not to mention many have posted about unreliable bluetooth connectivity.

I am absolutely positive that the recent lot of Denon receivers were facing an overheating issue. I know a dealer who told me that he was getting a complaint from almost half the Denon receivers he had sold in the past year. I am not trying to thrash the company's reputation because being a Denon user myself I am pretty impressed by its capabilities. However, the buyer should be aware that such an issue exists so that he can make a better and informed decision. I am not sure about the problems in Onkyo or Yamaha receivers so I won't comment on them.

Well, while a woofer does add to the movie experience, using a floorstander does provide decent amount of thump to begin with

I'd suggest try it without the subwoofer for now, to keep things within budget
See if you are satisfied with the movie experience.

Otherwise, you can add a Velodyne or SVS sub later

Hey,

Thanks in advance.

70% movies you don't need a FS unless you have a subwoofer...

Two things you can consider...

Either pick the BS in place of FS and add sub (or) Pick BS, miss a subwoofer for now & step up the AVR model

Denon AVR 500 series are the entry level series... Not sure how much the next step-up model costs... You can look for x1100/2100 if your budget allows...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back