Home theater setup - Yamaha YHT-196 5.1 (audio/video cables and speaker placement)

btprabhu

Friends,

I have purchased Yamaha YHT-196 5.1 Channel system recently for my proposed home theater. I have a dedicated HT room (21' 1"(L) x 11' (W) x 10' (H)) for this.

I want to buy the audio/video cables now and run them before buying the HT system as false ceiling has to be completed. Please suggest against the inputs below.

1. I'm planning to have a project mount, assuming 4 feet from the rear wall. How much 1.4a HDMI cable and 12AWG audio cable do I require for a 5.1 setup? (Im thinking a 7 feet HDMI cable is sufficient). Please let me know.

2. Suggest me decent and economical cables which I can procure in Hyderabad? Can I buy them online?

3. Speaker placement: Suggest me the position and distance from the screen and height from the floor (especially for the surrounds and rear speakers).

Thanks in advance,
Prabhu

Re: Home theater setup - Yamaha YHT-196 5.1 (audio/video cables and speaker placement

Try bluerigger hdmi cables on amazon.in you can buy the hdmi cables from hifimart too dac brand.
I would suggest to buy two hdmi cables, just in case 1 goes bad if you are doing the wiring internally.
Or use a pvc pipe inside the false ceiling large enough to pass 2-3 hdmi cables. This will make your ht future proof for upgrades or incase of any problems with hdmi.
For speaker cables use mx brand cables they are decent enough. Or buy dac speaker cable which is costly. And i would not recommend buying very expensive cables for a baeic ht. Hes you can buy expensive ones if you plan to upgrade your speakers in future

Re: Home theater setup - Yamaha YHT-196 5.1 (audio/video cables and speaker placement

+1 for Blue Riggers, my experience is good with these, economical too.

For my setup, which is a similar sized one i bought 15 meters HDMI, and was sufficient.

You may consider having the electrical conduicts layed for 7.2 setup , and presently can use for 5.1 . For this sized room full dynamics of 7.1/2 can be used hence better to have option for later upgrade.

Regards
Harsha

Last edited:

For my setup, which is a similar sized one i bought 15 meters HDMI, and was sufficient.

You may consider having the electrical conduicts layed for 7.2 setup , and presently can use for 5.1 . For this sized room full dynamics of 7.1/2 can be used hence better to have option for later upgrade.

Regards
Harsha

+1 for Blue Riggers, my experience is good with these, economical too.

Try bluerigger hdmi cables on amazon.in you can buy the hdmi cables from hifimart too dac brand.
I would suggest to buy two hdmi cables, just in case 1 goes bad if you are doing the wiring internally.
Or use a pvc pipe inside the false ceiling large enough to pass 2-3 hdmi cables. This will make your ht future proof for upgrades or incase of any problems with hdmi.
For speaker cables use mx brand cables they are decent enough. Or buy dac speaker cable which is costly. And i would not recommend buying very expensive cables for a baeic ht. Hes you can buy expensive ones if you plan to upgrade your speakers in future

What about the speaker placement etc.???

Yamaha yht-196 has spring loaded clip type connectors so do not buy speaker cable beforehand as it will not accept thick wires. Get wires after checking what maximum gauge the clip connectors can accept. For speaker placements refer to 5.1 speaker setup section of the following link:-
Surround Sound Speaker Set Up

Last edited:

Yamaha yht-196 has spring loaded clip type connectors so do not buy speaker cable beforehand as it will not accept thick wires. Get wires after checking what maximum gauge the clip connectors can accept. For speaker placements refer to 5.1 speaker setup section of the following link:-
Surround Sound Speaker Set Up

I'm planning to buy DAC -14 AWG 100 meter speaker wire today. Please let me know if the Yamaha YHT-196 doesn't fit/support 14 AWG wire due to spring loaded clip type connectors. Any how I will try to check the manual about the speaker wire gauge.

Last edited:

nice info guys. . .
o.png

Today I have visited Vector systems in order to purchase speaker and HDMI cable:

DCA brand - HDMI 1.4a cable : 5100/-
DAC brand - Speaker wire 14AWG, 100 meter: 12000/-

Hifimart is quoting lesser price than the above.

Last edited:

Yes cables do matter but since its just a basic ht setup i would not suggest going in for very expensive cables. Search around local shops for mx brand speaker cables. They will work just fine.

Honestly when my house was getting ready i had planned just for some basic ht like philips, sony. Did not bother for wiring. I got speaker cables from elecrric shop locally. I was not on the forum that time and so had no proper knowledge. I finally ended up with a decent ht. And i find no issues with speaker cables for now. And my setup runs just fine. No issues.

I'm planning to buy DAC -14 AWG 100 meter speaker wire today. Please let me know if the Yamaha YHT-196 doesn't fit/support 14 AWG wire due to spring loaded clip type connectors. Any how I will try to check the manual about the speaker wire gauge.

Do you really need 100m of cable?
Generally for Fronts and Center 14AWG is recommended.
But for rear 16/18 AWG should do and will be cheaper than 14AWG
In my opinion you can buy 6m or 10m DAC 14AWG and check with your system before buying bulk.

Recently I have bought DAC 14AWG 6m for Rs.900 from HifiMart and yet to connect it.

HDMI cable - I suggest BlueRigger and I am using 2 cables. Good quality and VFM. Check Amazon.in

Go to vector systems or some other showroom and actually check out what maximum thickness the spring connectors can take. 14 would be too thick and not go in. I think 18awg it can accept. Else use something like this with 14awg wires http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B1V6AJ2
Also if lots of wires are requires better get a 100m cable from amazon us, would be cheaper.

Last edited:

Hello All,

I too have Yamaha YHT 196 5.1 amplifier. Mostly i am listening music from FM and connected to TV only.

Is there any way to listen songs from Mobile without DVD Player (to avoid more consumer products). As i know this amplifier doesnt have USB drive, it has HDMI Out/in and Optical Cable in/out.

Regards.
Babu

Last edited:

14 AWG speaker wire will be overkill for YHT196 and I doubt that it will fit the spring connector of speakers. 18 AWG cable is more than sufficient. I am using stock wires provided in the set itself and they are working fine.

Back