Home theater, suggest on the config

You need to hear and decide the speakers for yourself. But I feel you need to look at slightly better speakers to feel a difference from the KEF C and Polks. Firs start with a rough allocation of budget. Since my budget is also 300k, I can give you my break-up for a balanced system.

1. Source (BDP + Media Player) - 25k
2. 7.1 AVR - 50k
3. 5.1 Speakers - 100k
4. Display (Projector Full HD) - 100k
5. Cables (Speakers and Interconnects) - 25k

1. BDP from Sony or Panasonic should be for around 15k and add a WDTV / Xtreamer for around 10k to this. Both of these will serve you well.

2. This year's Yamaha series do not seem to be very good as pointed out by venkatcr also. I would stick to a Marantz SR6004 or Denon 2310. Both can be had for 50k.

3. Speakers are the most imp. Here you should hear as much as you can and go for the sound you like. At your budget look at mid range series rather than the starting ones. In KEF try to audition their iQ series. For PSB listen to the IMAGE series not Alpha (though it is good). Quad 11L2 and Mordaunt Short Mezzo series are 2 more to audition. Out the 4 listed, I found Quads to be the most detailed followed by PSB Image. I heard the Diamonds, Polks and KEF C series, all of which though good are not in the same league, more suited for a smaller total budget of 200k. Also Floorstanders will overwhelm your room. Bookshelves along with Sub will serve the purpose. I am going for bookshelves in an 11 X 16 room.

4. Projector: Your choice is good. Just look around for best price and also let me know when you find it. :lol:

5. Cables: Do not forget to factor this. You will need speaker cables plus 3 HDMI cables. Also, It would be better to run component video and Coaxial Audio connections as addition to be safer i.e. if HDMI does work not sometime. Cabling will cost more as projector needs long runs and better to leave composite, component and HDMI connections to the projector.

Also, it would be nice if you can find a single source for all equipment. Installation will be a breeze then. Once you decide on speaker supplier check whether he has or can procure other stuff for you as well.

hi venky and ragav,

sorry, wasnt able to login during weekends. but i went to audtion based on your suggestion. i checked out denon 1910 with polk audio (which i mentioned before) and kef c series. i found kef to be little better but i dint find there is lot much of difference though.but i belive its take lot of experince to differntiate which i dont have. so again not sure about my view. also i tried yamaha 665, with wharfdale, 9.6 nad 10.6 seperately. i felt whafdale are good too. but the audition room i checked was 10X13 so i didnt feel its as gra8 as kef and polk. but kef and polk i tried in small room may be 8X7, so it might have sounded gra8 or better than whrafdale. i found wharfdale are cost effective.
also as i told 3L is my budget. current quotation is for 3.6 i wana cut down on it. but based on the choice of denon 1910 and kef/polk/whrfdale 9.6. dont know how it happens.
so please suggest some config based on this.i think i can cut down some thing on projector. also can i bring optoma h20 from US/Taiwan/HK, and take international warranty. does it cover india. if so i dont need to cut down on any other thing and fits in to 3L budget. also suggest any other models i can consider. venkat where can i check q.acoustics in bangalore.

also i checked the problem with floor standing speakrs and room size. they told its fine . and anyway AVR is 7.1 but actual speakers are in 5.1 setup.
let me know if you have still ur reservatins on this. i will double check

again very thank you for all guys,
do help me in making these decisions.

regards,
murali

HI venky,

thank you, i will audition and let you know.
one more thing is that i need to decied between, yamaha 665/denon 1910/denon 2310.
i havent considered onkyo because i tried to check in modern world, MG road, but i wasnt able to audition them in proper setup and also modern world people didnt respond properly. but i got price list for some onkyo,
TX SR577 - 33K
TXSR607 - 40K
TXSR707 - 60K (all what he has quoted, after negotiation it may come down)

So let me know your choice on this. i belive yamha is not recomended.

regards,
murali

Murali, the Indian distributor for Q-A is in Bangalore.

BABBLER MARKETING PVT LTD
#419, 12TH CROSS
SADASHIVANAGAR
BANGALORE - 560 080
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: +91 80 32410783
Fax: +91 80 41536755

Wharfedale, KEF, Polk all male popular speaker packages. The speaker choice ultimately is personal, so go with what your ears like. But do audition the Q-A. If you like the sound, they can save a lot of space.

Cheers

the structure is complete except the spft board or other acoustics fittings. and its not possible to modify anything in structure now. so i m afraid now i can do this. let me know if its possible

You can try something like this may be. Came across in an other forum and find it very elegantly installed.

hifi-surronds.jpg

i m trying denon 1910/2310 or yamaha 665. (not sure about onkyo)

Stick with the 2310 for good. Denons are the best all rounders for movies and music alike. For HT purposes in general, if you are more inclined towards movies Onkyo or Yamaha might be your best bet and for music Marantz or Cambridge Audio could be the contenders in entry level systems.

Cheers.

If you are planning for blu ray content, then plan for 7.1 atleast from a wiring perspective if budget is a constraint in going ahead with the speakers.

Hi Guys,

Yesterday i audiioned denon 2310, with KEF iq90 series and Polk RTi series.
finally, i think i will go for denon 2310.

regarding speakers i m yet to audition q-accoustics.which i will do ome time this week.
but based on yesterday audition i have following choice.
1. Kef 1q90
2. kef center speakers (forgot the id, will share later)
3. polf Fxi A4 sorround. (currently will go for 5.1 setup - will add other 2 later after 6 months - but will make all provisions for 7.1)
4. polk dsw pro500 (500 w) ub woofer.

when i auditioned yesterday one peaker by speaker i was able to make the actual difference in audio b/w kef and polk. front (iq90)and center (dont have num now) of kef sound far better (difference is lot i felt) compared to polk Rti a7(front) and csia4 (center). but sourround and dsw pro 500 completly outclassed the kef iq series (again forgot the model num will give in later post).
so , i decided to go for this combination.
this is almost fixed unless i feel q-accoustics is better after audition.

so ,let me know is this combination works.
is there any issues with this kind of combinations.

i may get this whole combo for around 1.9 L. (will give exact price detail soon)

now i really need to get a good deal on projector to be in my budget limit of 3L.

so , what my idea was to get projector from outside.(us/japan). i can compromise on warranty if i get service. -or- let me know if i can international warranty and it will work in india too.

other option i to go for pojector which cost aroound 1L. any suggestions on this. please let me know.

thanks and regards,
murali

2310 is a nice choice.

Murali, as much as possible stick with the same range/brand with a possible exception of the sub-woofer (If feasible, try to get from SVS, HSU, BK etc) Polk imo with its size and looks might give an imposing image but the sound is rather loud than sophisticated. You should definitely audition Monitor Audio Bronze and Silver range before making a final decision. Kef iQ5 or MA BR5 based HT will be small enough for your room but still be exceptionally good for HT applications. Did you get a chance to listen to packages around Dali Ikon 6 Diamond 9?

Cheers.

dont mind about the typing .. this keyboar :mad: ....
Hi Guys,

Yesterday i audiioned denon 2310, with KEF iq90 series and Polk RTi series.
finally, i think i will go for denon 2310.

regarding speakers i m yet to audition q-accoustics.which i will do ome time this week.
but based on yesterday audition i have following choice.
1. Kef 1q90
2. kef center speakers (forgot the id, will share later)
3. polf Fxi A4 sorround. (currently will go for 5.1 setup - will add other 2 later after 6 months - but will make all provisions for 7.1)
4. polk dsw pro500 (500 w) ub woofer.

when i auditioned yesterday one peaker by speaker i was able to make the actual difference in audio b/w kef and polk. front (iq90)and center (dont have num now) of kef sound far better (difference is lot i felt) compared to polk Rti a7(front) and csia4 (center). but sourround and dsw pro 500 completly outclassed the kef iq series (again forgot the model num will give in later post).
so , i decided to go for this combination.
this is almost fixed unless i feel q-accoustics is better after audition.

so ,let me know is this combination works.
is there any issues with this kind of combinations.

i may get this whole combo for around 1.9 L. (will give exact price detail soon)

now i really need to get a good deal on projector to be in my budget limit of 3L.

so , what my idea was to get projector from outside.(us/japan). i can compromise on warranty if i get service. -or- let me know if i can international warranty and it will work in india too.

other option i to go for pojector which cost aroound 1L. any suggestions on this. please let me know.

thanks and regards,
murali

Hi unleash_me,
i auditioned wharfdale, Dimond series (9.6 and 10.6) with denon 2310. but they didnt sound as gra8 as kef or polk (no one from my family rated them as good as kef or polk). regarding mixing the speakers from kef and polk, i do have some concenrs, but i got to know some people are already using this combination, i will try to get there opinion, also i checked with the pro fx guys they told this kind of mixing has no issues at all and they have done at lot of places. still i will check.
one more main reason for this combination is the budget. if i go completely with kef then cost will oveshoot and polk its less and as i told i felt kef is better in front and center speakers. i went for this. for bass i felt polk were very good. so i went for them.
Does any one in forum faced any issues with this combination in ur knowledge. please do let me know.
As u suggested i will audition monitor series with denon2310.
please let me know where can audition the same in bangalore. i m not finding any details on this.

thanks and regards,
murali

2310 is a nice choice.

Murali, as much as possible stick with the same range/brand with a possible exception of the sub-woofer (If feasible, try to get from SVS, HSU, BK etc) Polk imo with its size and looks might give an imposing image but the sound is rather loud than sophisticated. You should definitely audition Monitor Audio Bronze and Silver range before making a final decision. Kef iQ5 or MA BR5 based HT will be small enough for your room but still be exceptionally good for HT applications. Did you get a chance to listen to packages around Dali Ikon 6 Diamond 9?

Cheers.

Hi Venkat,
I am planning to buy Yamaha Rx-V465 because it has some new features and HDMI audio support. Now the offer price is 30 k. Is it worth to buy this?
What problem you found in 465? Is this problem exists only xx5 series or xx3 series too?
Suggest me any other AV receives with price in chennai.
I have seen DSE speaker package (2 Floor stand + Center + Rear Speakers + 10 active sub woofer) in croma. The total package offer price is 15k. Do any one have any idea about this speaker package?. How good this speaker package with Yamaha 463/465 or Onkyo 507?

Ask your dealer to skip the Yamaha AVR and suggest a good model from Denon (2310, 1910) or even Onkyo. The Yamaha xx5 series have been designed badly, have a weak power supply and would gasp for power when you play Blu-Ray.

Cheers

Hi guys,,

sorry was not online for a week r so.

coming to audition part, i tried to audition q-acoustics as suggested by venkat. but, the dealers in bangalore are not at all responsive. i called 3 times and sent detailed mail too.
but i dont know they didnt get back to me at all, and when i called the way of responding was even bad, as if i m not going to pay them....:mad:
So i decided , even if they give me demo r whatever i will not go for them.
anyway thank you for venkat for suggest and sorry i was not able to audtion them.
so my choice still remains
kef IQ9 - floor stand
kef IQ60c - center
Polk FXi-A4 - surround
DSW Pro600 woofer
Denon2310

-- 1.92L. i try to negotiate and make it less.
Projector i m getting from dubai. optoma HD20 or sanyo
(50 to 80 K range)

I am trying to audition MA rs6(i think now replaced with rsx... something) and RS8. also BR5 series.
will let you guys know if it changes my current choice.
between i have one more clarification.
the denon out put is 7 channel 135 watts each.
but iq90 and all the speakrs i mentioned above ar around 150 watts..
does it create problem. i read some where it might create problem..

Please let me know your thoughts on my choice and about the wattage issues.
Looking forward to your reply.....

Thanks,
murali

coming to audition part, i tried to audition q-acoustics as suggested by venkat. but, the dealers in bangalore are not at all responsive. i called 3 times and sent detailed mail too.
but i dont know they didnt get back to me at all, and when i called the way of responding was even bad, as if i m not going to pay them....:mad:

This is really unfortunate.

Cheers

Please let me know your thoughts on my choice and about the wattage issues.
Looking forward to your reply.....

Thanks,
murali

If I were you, I'll not get the Polk sub. Sure it may produce deafening loudness but the essential qualities of fine bass like timing, decay and depth are not something the polk is good at. You might want to consider SVS PB13 Ultra, BK Monolith DF etc. OR if you can afford, then the likes of Velodyne, REL will give you fine bass.

There won't be any problems with the wattage. The Denon will drive them comfortably.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back