Home Theater Suggestions for 21 x 17 - 20L budget

I'm aiming for 9.2.6 setup but wondering if AVR would limit this setup. Denon 8500 has 13 channels or does it support 15 ?
9.2.6 is not possible with normal AVR & processor . Denon 8500 AVR & Marantz AV8805 processor will process 13 channel (either 7.2.6 /9.2.4) ,but u can connect 15 speakers and swap between the layout .The main advantage here is swaping betwen Atmos & Auro 3d speaker layout (coz there is a difference as per their guidelines)

If you still looking for 9.2.6 ,then the least possible option is Emotiva RMC1 which is a 16 channel processor.(Atmos & dts X capable)

The other options for 9.2.6 will have huge price tags from brands like Trinnov Altitude 16 ,Datasat RS20i,Lyngdorf MP-50,Storm Audio processors,strating from minimum10000$ onwards .I never heard these brands personally .But these are considered as Luxury HT brands in Audio field.

Means 15 speakers.
It will be too much for this room size. As few of these 15 speakers might to too close to the prime seat.
7.4.4 will be the best choice for this room .
As we should aim at keeping all speakers at a minimum of 8 feet from the prime seat.

Reason: SPL decrease is very evident for the first 8 feet or 2.5 metres.

Why 4 subs: Flat response, faster decay time, even response for all seats.

Everyone gets to listen surround sound at theaters. Very few have actually experienced a movie with clean powerful bass.
Good bass in good home theaters differentiate them from a commercial theater.

Hope this helps. :)

Means 15 speakers.
It will be too much for this room size. As few of these 15 speakers might to too close to the prime seat.
7.4.4 will be the best choice for this room .As we should aim at keeping all speakers at a minimum of 8 feet from the prime seat.

I think, all one has to do is place the speakers at Dolby recommended locations (angles).. There should be more reasons to do a bigger layout (9 speakers) and not find excuses to limit once experience to standard layout (7 speakers).. Especially when he doesn't have a budget constraint..

Assuming he plans to do 9 bed speaker layout, there is 21ft room length.. . I think, Front speakers, Front Wide speakers, surrounds and surr back speakers can be comfortably spaced 5 ~ 6 ft distance between them, which should be more than enough and offer great HT experience..

How would that be "too much"? With Front speakers on the front wall and Rear speakers on the back wall, there will be a huge 21-foot gap between them, which is plenty of space to accommodate two more pairs of speakers (Wides and Sides).
As we should aim at keeping all speakers at a minimum of 8 feet from the prime seat.
Even if you put the Side speakers directly to the sides of the prime seat, the 17-foot room width means they will be 8 feet away. Same with the height speakers: with a 21x17 ceiling space to work with, there's no reason any of the 6 speakers will be "too close".

How would that be "too much"? With Front speakers on the front wall and Rear speakers on the back wall, there will be a huge 21-foot gap between them, which is plenty of space to accommodate two more pairs of speakers (Wides and Sides). Even if you put the Side speakers directly to the sides of the prime seat, the 17-foot room width means they will be 8 feet away. Same with the height speakers: with a 21x17 ceiling space to work with, there's no reason any of the 6 speakers will be "too close".
What about the other seats ?
What about the 6 Atmos speakers ?

I'm sorry for a mistake.
I meant prime seats.
Means at least 2 seats.

Have experienced a 15 lakhs home theater demo at a store with surrounds too close..(cannot name the place)
It sounded really bad. Even my wife didn't like the setup.

With those many speakers other seats are at a big compromise. And amateur listeners will notice it.

Last edited:
Means 15 speakers.
7.4.4 will be the best choice for this room .

Reason: SPL decrease is very evident for the first 8 feet or 2.5 metres.

Why 4 subs: Flat response, faster decay time, even response for all seats.

Everyone gets to listen surround sound at theaters. Very few have actually experienced a movie with clean powerful bass.
Good bass in good home theaters differentiate them from a commercial theater.

Hope this helps. :)
prateek what are you talking?
15 speakers too much for room size? If you know what you are doing no problem its the localization and no problem in having multiple speakers.
Subwoofers count beyond 3 or 4 doesnt really matter like said if the integrator knows what they are doing then no problem.
SPL is SPL in short distances like 30ft.
Decay times are not dependent on number of subs.

Prateek as you have mentioned about clean bass. Have you heard Cello`s, raw bass guitar without correction?
How many of the demo rooms you have seen which is right basstraps in place?

I have seen a commercial theater installed it will blow your mind none of the home theaters I have seen has got such sound. Dont tell that there are no commercial theaters which can be better than home theaters.

Like said you have to get the right person for your job or you end up having wrong notions about things.

prateek what are you talking?
15 speakers too much for room size? If you know what you are doing no problem its the localization and no problem in having multiple speakers.
Subwoofers count beyond 3 or 4 doesnt really matter like said if the integrator knows what they are doing then no problem.
SPL is SPL in short distances like 30ft.
Decay times are not dependent on number of subs.

Prateek as you have mentioned about clean bass. Have you heard Cello`s, raw bass guitar without correction?
How many of the demo rooms you have seen which is right basstraps in place?

I have seen a commercial theater installed it will blow your mind none of the home theaters I have seen has got such sound. Dont tell that there are no commercial theaters which can be better than home theaters.

Like said you have to get the right person for your job or you end up having wrong notions about things.
Oh please name that commercial theater. I would love to visit.

Try to Audition Polk Reserve Series (new edition) which is close to Legendary series of POIK

Reserve series fit your budget bro

My Polk Signature series are shining in movies no matter what kind of movie I throw at them.. some people saying its too bright to my taste bla bla .. With couple of tweaks in Receiver They really shine and You can bring them to your taste .. Balanced and realistic audio experience

Since your budget is very good and the room size is decent. Go for a pre-power setup. Do not settle for a AVR whatever the review or the salesman says. Also I would suggest to listen to pro speakers like Beyma and then decide whether to go for Home or pro speakers. I am personally using dbSound speakers with Beyma drivers and they give me theatre like experience.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back