Home theater system for music and movies!

kingfisher

Dear all,

I am planning to build a home theater system which is also good for music( not the best :) ). for my 42" ST30. Since I cant afford a separate systems for music and movies also don't want to duplicate speakers/sources/amplifiers. So what I am planning is to first buy a AV receiver and a pair of book shelf speakers. Then later I want to add other components (sub woofer, rear/center speakers) one by one.

I believe that such a system will be good for movies as well as music, though it may not be as good as stereo amp for music.

My budget for AVR and book shelf speakers is 50 to 60K. I have chosen book shelf speaker instead of floor standing because I am going to add sub woofer which will take care of LFE and book shelves will handle the mid range.

Right now my choices for speakers are:
1. Wharfedale Diamond 10.1
2. Monitor Audio Bronze BX2

I have very little knowledge abt AVR so not yet decided. Heard Denon and Yamaha AVR are good for music.If the AVR has pre amp output, later also I can add separate stereo amp. Also I dont want features like Airplay because I dont have any apple products.

Pls help me to choose my speakers and AVR

you have decided quite intelligently in fact..nothing to say..go ahed..perfect planning
also keeep wharfe 121 in the list
just one note..
someone in the forum said a nad t487 is avilable at 40k..i dont know the eaxct price..
check it.
if it is the price grab it blindly..over denon,yamaha or anything

Right now my choices for speakers are:
1. Wharfedale Diamond 10.1
2. Monitor Audio Bronze BX2
Of the two, I would pick the BX2. Bigger woofer, will move more air for greater impact. Also, BX2 has more than twice the sensitivity of the 10.1 (a 100w amp on the 10.1 will be like using a 200w amp on the BX2), so it will be more dynamic.

Size and performance wise, the 10.1 is comparable to the BX1, while the BX2 should be compared to the 10.2. The two models you listed are like having to choose between a lesser model Wharfedale and a higher model Monitor Audio. If they're both around the same price, then no contest: BX2.

Are any Kef models within your budget? They have excellent imaging and throw a nice big soundstage.

since you also want to use it for movies, you need to go with Marantz AVRs............they are very musical and work well with music and movies. From there you need to pair the AVR with various speaker systems and hear the sound.

You can pair 2 BS with the AVR and then add more speakers later. Getting 2 good BS speakers would work a lot better than some entry level 5.1 speaker system.

AFAIK,
BX2 is twice the price of Wharf 10.1 and 10K costlier than 10.2

I am in the same position ..only thing is my budget is a bit less :D
I have decided to go with Denon 1513 and Wharf 121 for the time being.
I wanted to buy Marantz 1402 AVR which is available at 24.5K but I am not so sure as the power rating is 50W only.
Will it be able to drive bookshelves like 10.1/10.2/BX2 etc?

If you have budget for Bx2, also audition KEF Q300..I liked it more than BX2 and the price is similar.

Last edited:
Last day auditioned Wharfedale DIAMOND 10.6 floor standing and Wharfedale Jade 3 Bookshelves at Grand Cinema,Kodambakkam.

Listened some songs from Kadal and Maryan.

When listened from 10.6, Sound was decent but I could not find anything special.He kept the equalizer preset in Flat mode. that may be the reason.

Then he switched to Jade 3. More detailed sound and quite impressive.Difference was clearly visible or audible!.But the price is beyond my budget(80K). Cant even think of it :)
I wonder what makes such speakers so costlier! Whether the materials they use or more sophisticated driving circuity or the R&D costs.
They have only these two for demo. They deal KEF and paradigm also.
As for as I know, the massively detailed sound I ever heard is from my Cowon S9 and PX100. I love this player and headphone !

Last edited:
Of the two, I would pick the BX2. Bigger woofer, will move more air for greater impact. Also, BX2 has more than twice the sensitivity of the 10.1 (a 100w amp on the 10.1 will be like using a 200w amp on the BX2), so it will be more dynamic.

Size and performance wise, the 10.1 is comparable to the BX1, while the BX2 should be compared to the 10.2. The two models you listed are like having to choose between a lesser model Wharfedale and a higher model Monitor Audio. If they're both around the same price, then no contest: BX2.

Are any Kef models within your budget? They have excellent imaging and throw a nice big soundstage.

Thanks sdurani. Kef models are completely out of budget, because they starts from 80K.But willing to audition them too. I am planning to audition wherfedale diamand 121 at volumate . They deal with wide range of brands : Volumate - Home Entertainment Solutions

Hi kingfisher

I did audition of PSB Image B6 and Tannoy Revolution DC6. I am impressed with both. These two bookself speakers are too good for music, but they cost around 32k to 34k. I wanted to audition PSB Image B5 and wharfedale diamond 121, but I couldn't do it. Also I heard PSB Image B5 is almost same as B6 except for the bass driver size. I guess both B5 and wharfedale 121 should cost around 25k max. Probably I would be doing the audition of B5 and 121 some time this week and share the details.

The other one is KEF Q300. Can anyone give feedback on Q300 ?

The Q 300 is a very nice speaker. Have auditioned with Denon gear only. But that said, sounded much better with a Denon integrated than a Denon AVR.

@ OP Include Usher S520 and Quad 12l? to your list.

Apart from the Marantz 1XXX series, all AVRs with Pre outs are around the 50k mark.

The Q 300 is a very nice speaker. Have auditioned with Denon gear only. But that said, sounded much better with a Denon integrated than a Denon AVR.

@ OP Include Usher S520 and Quad 12l? to your list.

Apart from the Marantz 1XXX series, all AVRs with Pre outs are around the 50k mark.

The cheapest AVR one can get with pre-out is Marantz SR5007 (around 50k). The surprising thing is that the next cheapest AVR with pre-out is NAD T748 (55k to 60k).

I just got myself the 5007. Wonderful piece of kit.

I would urge everyone to consider a Marantz instead of Denon. Have both with me, a 2113 and the 5007. The premium paid for the Marantz is totally worth it.

The Marantz NR series have front pre-outs. The 5007 has all 7 channels.

hi shuv brother..as you have a exp of both..can you please elaborate a little..
i mean the sound quality..is it easily understandable..the diff

thanks

Has any one auditioned Heybrook Sub HBS200 with The BASH amplifier /
150 watts

How's the performance???

tks / rgds

@ Prosenjit - Yes, the difference is very much audible. Compared with the same source and speakers. I feel its definitely better than Denon for music. Then again, that's what I feel. YMMV :)

Today auditioned wharfedale Diamond 121 at Volumate. It seems the reviews and 5 stars of What HiFi are worthy. Detailed. Bold enough.bass effect was sufficient. He told it can not be paired with Denon but with Marantz or Onkyo. But he said it is not available right now and have to wait till July end.

Also he played Cambridge S30. Compared to 121 , it was very musical. Much detailed but not as bold as 121. Soft.

He is just building his set ups. Told me to come after 2 weeks to demo more speakers.

121 price is 20K (after 10% discount) but he is not sure about new price.
S30 is 17K.

As of now I have shortlisted 121 :)

Last edited:
I have updated my list:

1. Wharfedale Diamond 121
2. Q Acoustics 2020i
3. DALI Zensor 1

Heard all above three are good for music and movies.
I could not find whether Monitor Audio BX series are available or not.

Planning to demo the last two at Volumate next week.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back