Home theater Versus Hi Fi Music system

drjj

Hi. I am new to this field of "audiology" and would be obliged if you would advise what to buy - a sony Hi fi system with a RMS of about 1000 watts or a home theater system. i have a budget of about Rs 30000/- to 40000/-

i have bought a flat which is under construction and need advise on the wiring of the home theater system through the electrical conduits so that the wires are concealed.

Kindly advise.

Thank you

Kindly advice your prefrance : music or movie
if music then 2 chenal setup If movie then home theater
there are other brands as well apart from sony that you can opt.

- a sony Hi fi system with a RMS of about 1000 watts i have a budget of about Rs 30000/- to 40000/-

don't go by numbers...however 30K to 40K is a healthy number to begin things with...
most of your queries are answered in the forum..but if your are loathe to search...go the two channel route if your set-up is primarily for music..and instead of getting something 'in a box' it makes more sense to take a systems approach , adding components..speakers, amplifiers (AVR as the case may be), source, interconnects etc...if you have specific queries the good and well informed denizens of this forum will be more than happy to help....

If movies are your flavour, go for a HT. Or you can try out a bar speaker system.

If, however, music be your favourite poison, think of two channel. With your budget, you can start off nicely.

I've converted recently from the Sonys and Panasonics to proper Hi Fi components.

For the last three months, I had been listening to Sony music systems all over Kolkata. Their advertised RMS wattage is a sham, actually. I almost liked the GZR-888D ( 600W RMS!) for its looks and the inbuilt LCD, but tried out with different music, shops and demonstrators to even like the sound, which had to be turned halfway to be audible. And the sound quality was poorer than my 15 year old philips 30W RMS system.

Surprisingly, the lower-wattage ( 200-300w) systems from sony sounded much better.

Of course, when i listened to the real hi fi speakers, i found my true path. :)

Go for a good pair of speakers, a cd/dvd player and an amp. They'll give you immensely more pleasure if you are a music lover. Maybe not on the looks or 'features' front, though.

Go through the forum for excellent advice on the components. There are very wise people here who will guide you.

Whatever U decide, just keep two separate conduits for rear speakers in the floor running from the TV position to rear wall for future with some dummy cable for pulling speaker cable(if U can spare although not necessary) later on if required. I myself regret this decision for not keeping this provision in my newly built house. Just Remember, No electrical cable in those conduits. These conduits/PVC pipes can share with cable/telephone wires but avoid if U can. PVS Conduits are very cheap.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back