Home theatre at 25K

Is it possible to keep connected both at a time? DVI and HDMI cable in monitor; HDMI and SPDIF in PC??
Yes, you can keep all of them connected simultaneously all the time.
In the monitor, there would be an option to select the type of input - Digital (HDMI) or Analog (VGA), this would let you choose what you want to watch.
Similarly the input selector in AVR would let you choose which input to listen to - S/PDIF or HDMI.

I am on the brink of finalization .... JBL Cinesystem 140Bk which has Harman Kardon 134 avr and SCS 140bk.... could you tell me the price so that bargain if possible, on the website it is written as 25k(MRP)??
Pls also tell me price of JBL Cinestyle 9??

Alto, No idea about the JBL speakers but would definitly advise not to go with the HK 134 AVR, becoz it does not have the latest tech for decoding audio formats like DTS - MA and DD-TrueHD, which i am sure that you will miss if you plan to get a media player like AC - Ryan (as these do not have inbuilt decoders for these audio codecs). For Blueray Player it wont be problem as decoding can be done by the BD player and sent via HDMI to the AVR.

Secondly i would suggest that to up your budget and go for a AVR which would be 3D ready as this will come handy once you plan to go for 3D TV and once 3D content is more easily available in future.

In this regard i would advise (as everybody else has already done) to go for the Onkyo HT-S3400 - it is 5.1, can decond DD-THD & DTS-MA, is 3D ready, also features Audessy sound caliberation. All this for 25k (max, may be under if bargained)

The JBL Cinestyle 9 retails for Rs. 40K (MRP). For this price you can go for a much better and recent setup.

Alto, No idea about the JBL speakers but would definitly advise not to go with the HK 134 AVR, becoz it does not have the latest tech for decoding audio formats like DTS - MA and DD-TrueHD, which i am sure that you will miss if you plan to get a media player like AC - Ryan (as these do not have inbuilt decoders for these audio codecs). For Blueray Player it wont be problem as decoding can be done by the BD player and sent via HDMI to the AVR.
I have also thought about the decoders 134 does not possess. I'll be mainly attaching it to a PC. So no idea about DTS - MA and DD-TrueHD is required or not. In case of PC who will do the decoding if connected through SPDIF or HDMI, at PC through software or hardware or the AVR??

2nd, if a blue ray player does the decoding job then what is use of DTS - MA and DD-TrueHD decoder in AVR???

Secondly i would suggest that to up your budget and go for a AVR which would be 3D ready as this will come handy once you plan to go for 3D TV and once 3D content is more easily available in future.
thinking about upping the budget... Denon 1311 with POLK 6750 is there at 40k

In this regard i would advise (as everybody else has already done) to go for the Onkyo HT-S3400 - it is 5.1, can decond DD-THD & DTS-MA, is 3D ready, also features Audessy sound caliberation. All this for 25k (max, may be under if bargained)
Onkyo has much more feature according to the price but I do not like onkyo sub at all, JBL without those features sounds much better.

The JBL Cinestyle 9 retails for Rs. 40K (MRP). For this price you can go for a much better and recent setup.
JBL Cinestyle 9 , sounds awesome; but does it have DD-THD & DTS-MA and HDMI 1.4a????

Want to go for Home Theatre system mainly for my PC. My budget is 25K max. I have shortlisted
1. harman Kardon cinesystem 140(AVR134 + JBL SCS140BK),
2. Onkyo 3305 (At ezone LG BD palyer free)

Which one would be good?

If any other system is available then please let me know.

onkyo - better receiver
JBL - better speakers

overall onkyo 3400 would be a better deal.

I have also thought about the decoders 134 does not possess. I'll be mainly attaching it to a PC. So no idea about DTS - MA and DD-TrueHD is required or not. In case of PC who will do the decoding if connected through SPDIF or HDMI, at PC through software or hardware or the AVR??

2nd, if a blue ray player does the decoding job then what is use of DTS - MA and DD-TrueHD decoder in AVR???

thinking about upping the budget... Denon 1311 with POLK 6750 is there at 40k

Onkyo has much more feature according to the price but I do not like onkyo sub at all, JBL without those features sounds much better.

JBL Cinestyle 9 , sounds awesome; but does it have DD-THD & DTS-MA and HDMI 1.4a????

do not go for harman receivers, onkyo is far better. onkyo 3400 wud be a better deal in terms of format support, future ready, etc................

onkyo - better receiver
JBL - better speakers

overall onkyo 3400 would be a better deal.

do not go for harman receivers, onkyo is far better. onkyo 3400 wud be a better deal in terms of format support, future ready, etc................
Yes I do agree with u all, but overall it is sound quality that matters isn't it? In that case onkyo nowhere near HK. Still I would audition onkyo once again....

Kindly some one answer my qs of prev post....

SPDIF can only carry PCM format (Lossless - 2 channels) (compressed - 6 channels). You will require an AVR with HDMI input and DD-THD and DTS-MA decoder to enjoy HD audio in its full glory. If connecting through PC try one of these products:
Auzentech, Inc. X-Fi Home Theater HD : World First soundcards for Music, HTPC, and Gaming.

It will be required if you are playing a movie encoded with DD-THD or DTS-MA audio through media players like AC Ryan Play on / WD Live etc and the likes. as these do not have built in decoders for these audio formats

Then dont go for the package. buy an AVR from Onkyo / Denon and get a sub-sat package from JBL. Their ranges starts from 20k. check this link: India JBL

Also check out this site: Profx - Advanced Audio Solutions. You will get an idea of the prices for Denon / Polk audio / Kef.

No the AVR 142 is only 5.1 (DD & DTS capable) though it has HDMI but does not support HDMI 1.4a and DD-THD and DTS-MA formats.

@sunilyo thanks a lot....
thinking about Denon 1311 and JBL SCS140BK, will it be compatible?
Please tell me the price of those, actual price that somebody have bought??

@sunilyo thanks a lot....
thinking about Denon 1311 and JBL SCS140BK, will it be compatible?
Please tell me the price of those, actual price that somebody have bought??

I think denon and jbl should be compatible. But cannot confirm denon is 6 ohms and jbl is 8 ohms if it is compatible then there might be some drop is sound output (my understanding) let the experts comment on this questions. You can also check out wharfedales there is a post in the group buy section on Wharfedale products and speaker packages check them out. VFM products with good sound quality.

regarding prices on the MRP you should at least get a discount of 10-15%.

JBl 140 speakers r 4ohm . a few of people using the combo have good opinion..price u should be able to get around 33-35k..

Any one using Denon 1311 + JBL 140BK combo please tell me the experience and compatibility....

I have been reading this thread with interest for quite some time now as not too long back I too was in a similar situation. When I started off hunting for speakers my budget was 10k and all I wanted was 'decent' 5.1 setup for use with my HTPC. I was helped by fellow members here and these guys had just one word for me -"patience"

I am an impulsive buyer but this time I am glad I didnt just rush in. I gradually increased my budget to 25 k and as we know the two options available are the Onkyo and the HK kits and I auditioned them thoroughly. The Onkyo 3400 I auditioned at "the Shop" in andheri and no matter how hard I forced myself to like the sound I just cdnt connect with the setup.

Next I went over to a friend's place and sat through an evening of various Audio Video playbacks on the HK 134 which has the JBL speakers. I was thoroughly disappointed again with the performance. I had expected a setup costing 25 k to sound at least half decent but all I heard was base and words and I just cdnt connect- in short it wasnt able to deliver the 'music' that i was in pursuit of.

My advice to you is- One doesnt spend 25 k every day to buy a HT setup and when most of us buy it we wont be changing the setup for at least the next 5 years or so... so one might as well increase the budget and buy something that would make us feel proud of our decision every time we feel immersed by music... Take your time, look around and whenever you think the time is right do think about increasing your budget.

Its possible to get a 'worthy' 5.1 setup for 45- 50k and this setup would sound exponentially better than the Onkyo and the HK HTIBs.

Dont rush in bro... Patience :)

Agree with MAV. 'Patience' is the key.

I was and i guess most of us are in the same boat when it comes to building our very first HT setup. I would also suggest continue listening to demos, get prices, visit multiple shops and most of all explore multiple brands instead of just gettting stuck with Onkyo / HK / JBL. If you get of the 'i want a 5.1 package' tag then you might even get a better product for the price considering that you are willing to go till 40k for your setup. For a start go with a stereo setup and build your setup over a period of time. But do get an AVR that will future proof your setup, believe me you will not regret. Like in my case my setup does not have the HD decoders so i am looking for a BD Player with 7.1 analogue outputs (which cost in the range of 18k and upwards) as that is the only i can enjoy HD audio. I have the right speakers and TV but not the AVR. But it sounds perfect for me so do not want to spend a chunk of my savings in buying a latest model.

Patience is a virtue so is research

Touched shore recently after being in the boat for a while with a smaller budget.

My journey - Joined this forum and kept following threads. Learnt about Global Ebay offers in the forum. Ended up buying STRDH520, a Sony 7.1 3D ready receiver with HD audio decoders for 14K (used a coupon of 1K). Dug Global Ebay further and bought Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 compatible speakers for 20K (Used a coupon of 2K). Spent 1K for voltage converter. Already owned Sony BDP-S370 and using as source. Using Finolex 1.5 sqm multicore for speaker cables for now.

Result EXULTING!!!!!!

Cheers!

Agree with MAV. 'Patience' is the key.
yes I should go that way. But speaker system is what mainly I am finding. In Kolkata there are not many varieties available. Getting no place for demo wharfedale or boston or tannoy....

Last edited:
yes I should go that way. But speaker system is what mainly I am finding. In Kolkata there are not many varieties available. Getting no place for demo wharfedale or boston or tannoy....

I have ordered two 5.1 speaker setups- the Pioneer SP-PK21BS and the Pioneer SP-PK51 FS given the raving reviews all over the world. The former wd cost around 30k and the latter 40k. I would be posting detailed reviews once i get these speakers in my hands.

If one combines the 21 BS with an AVR like Denon 1611/yamaha 471 then it would come to around 53k or with a Yamaha 367 it would be something like 46k. Either ways you would be getting an experience that cant be matched by HK or entry level Onkyo.

You can also do what Deepchand did- go the online route and search for best bargains...

Lastly hit the internet and read as much as you can.. not only on this forum but also other sites as Cnet, what hifi..the list is endless but you wd love it :)

Cheers !!

As I am using it mainly with PC, do I need support for hd audio and 3D etc?

As far as spending about 25 to 30k for Onkyo 3400, it can be a future ready option with 3D ready, 1.4a HDMIs and finally a decent sound output. However, if you stretch a bit you will get DENON 1311xp wiith 3D support HTIB around 28k and has a active subwoofer and bigger wooden encased speakers, superior to Onkyo 3400. Check with Croma.

Last edited:
Back