Home theatre at 25K

alto

Want to go for Home Theatre system mainly for my PC. My budget is 25K max. I have shortlisted
1. harman Kardon cinesystem 140(AVR134 + JBL SCS140BK),
2. Onkyo 3305 (At ezone LG BD palyer free)

Which one would be good?

If any other system is available then please let me know.

Better go for Onkyo 3400 for below 25K. This the latest model from onkyo.
Could u tell me the exact price of 3400?
I'm quoted 30k, seems that need to bargain very hard.
How is the sub of 3400?

Any idea about HK134 + JBL SCS140BK ?

Some of the forum members have bought onkyo 3400 for even 22.5K. You should bargain hard to get it atleast for 24K. I think the HK model does not support hd audio, 3D etc. Please search for the specs.

Most dealers in Mumbai are quoting 25k for the 3400. Sub is passive, and cannot be upgraded.

Hi
Onkyo 3400 available for Rs.22.5 k in Mumbai, spkr is passive, system good for movies and fair for Music

As I am using it mainly with PC, do I need support for hd audio and 3D etc?

It is always better to have a future proof system. When you gets the hang of a blu-ray movies, you will definitely desire the hd audio option. Also how are you going to connect the pc to the avr? Does your pc has hdmi or spdif output?

You can order onkyo 3400 through ebay for 25K

ONKYO HT-S3400 5.1 CH HOME THEATRE RECEIVER PACKAGE | eBay

It is always better to have a future proof system. When you gets the hang of a blu-ray movies, you will definitely desire the hd audio option. Also how are you going to connect the pc to the avr? Does your pc has hdmi or spdif output?
My PC mobo has S/PDIF out , graphics card also has HDMI and in monitor too has HDMI connection option; therefore is it possible to connect through HDMI (monitor + avr) for audio and video?

Which graphics card do you have? if graphics card supports Audio out over HDMI then connect HDMI out of PC to HDMI in of Onkyo, Then connect HDMI out of Onkyo to HDMI in of monitor. If graphics card does not support audio out over HDMI then connect SPDIF out of computer to SPDIF in of onkyo. Existing connection of PC and monitor should be left untouched.

If I connect through Spdif then will it be possible to get all formats correctly? I have heard that lossless format is not handled by optical/coaxial, is it true?

I have ATI Raedon 5770

If I connect through Spdif then will it be possible to get all formats correctly? I have heard that lossless format is not handled by optical/coaxial, is it true?

You have ATI Raedon 5770. That's enough.
Connect as follows
PC(ATI Raedon 5770 HDMI OUT)---HDMI--->(HDMI IN)AVR
AVR(HDMI OUT)---HDMI--->(DVI-D/DVI-I/HDMI IN)Monitor

Yes S/PDIF (coaxial/optical) cannot handle HD audio.

^^ I have connected my PC to the AVR and Sony LCD via DVI. Just that I have a dedicated audio card (Auzentech Explosion DTS connect) for my audio. I have connected my PC via Optical output to the AVR and video goes via DVI to LCD via DVI to HDMI adaptor.

The software which came with Auzentech has the option to output all audio in RAW format or send all audio using the DD or DTS encoder / convertor (whatever u call it). So far I have had no problems regarding audio from PC.

r u using any sound card or the on-board audio. Just check if it supports output in DD / DTS

r u using any sound card or the on-board audio. Just check if it supports output in DD / DTS
No I am using On-board audio, it is gigabyte 880GM usb3....
What should be good for me?

Is it possible to keep attached both SPDIF and HDMI in PC; DVI and HDMI in monitor?

Last edited:
@alto yes it is 100% possible. you can connect both SPDIF and HDMI with the the monitors DVI and HDMI. HDMI carries both audio and video content but the monitor will ignore the audio content, if it does not have an inbuilt speaker.

@alto yes it is 100% possible. you can connect both SPDIF and HDMI with the the monitors DVI and HDMI. HDMI carries both audio and video content but the monitor will ignore the audio content, if it does not have an inbuilt speaker.
Is it possible to keep connected both at a time? DVI and HDMI cable in monitor; HDMI and SPDIF in PC??

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back