Need help to buy home theatre system under 30K [mostly to watch movies and occasionally for music]

mannan2812

Hey Forum, I have 65" oneplus led but the sound of inbuild speaker is very distorted and not that great at high volumes. I made a decision to buy home theatre preferrably 5.1ch system and hook it with the led which is placed in living room of size 15ft*30ft. After some searches on internet, I found these three capable candidates
1. Sony S40R
2. Logitech Z906
3. Yamaha yht 1840
Almost every review is inclined towards Z906, but the main problem is after sale service of logitech in India and infamous console problem of this system. Let me know your opinion guys and feel free to recommend any other system apart from these three. Thanks!

Last edited:
1. Below I have suggested better options that SONY S40R.
2. Logitech Z906 is an old and classic model (Date First Available March 24, 2011). Its cost has increased over years. It is a capable system from performance perspective. Please check and confirm it has connectivity options you want or not. A friend has been using it for long and is content with it.
3. I do not know much about Yamaha YHT1840.

Below are additional recommended models from me and reasons behind them. It may add to your confusion though.

These are best rated Dolby Atmos soundbar surround systems currently (under INR 100,000):
  1. Samsung Q990B
  2. Samsung Q950A
Now you can consider a Q series Samsung soundbar system which may have DNA of the above soundbars.

Samsung owns JBL. Both Samsung and JBL have wide range of soundbars for every budget. You can filter for your budget. There should be ~3 models for each brand. Attached screenshot of a option from Samsung which has good discount as of today. Amongst Samsung and JBL, I find JBL to be BASS heavy.

I have a 11 years old, 1000W Sony DVD home theater installed at home in a room 11 feet x 20 feet. The bass is ground shaking (8 inch woofer).
But that system is bass heavy. More like party speakers than a movies one. In the model I own there is NO option to regulate BASS individually.

In current Sony models you get dedicated button on remote to regulate bass. It is a boon. 1000W Sony models should be most powerful options for your large room. Two models from Sony that you can consider are -
- SONY HT-S700RF (has tower surrounds) - Please check screenshot attached. The price keeps fluctuating so u need to track.
- SONY HT-S500RF (has satellite surrounds)

You can negotiate, use credit/debit card cash back offers to get the prices closer to INR 30,000.

I suggest you look for these in priority:
  1. Dialogue intelligibility
  2. Total power output
  3. Surround effect
Whichever model you choose I strongly suggest you keep checking its price on Croma. It changes everyday and you may possibly get the cheapest price in the world for the model (even cheaper than USA). For instance I almost bought Samsung Q950A in October last year for INR 64,000. The price was a steal. However I did not like its music performance.

For your room size Sony should be most suitable from options I have suggested.

You can audition them at Croma, Reliance Digital or Vijay Sales.

In 2020 I got a very good deal for my 55 inch Sony TV from Vijay Sales. So, you can negotiate from them as well.

NOTE: Assuming Croma, Reliance Digital and Vijay Sales are available near you.

Attachments

• samsung soundbar.jpg
    samsung soundbar.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 15
  • sony soundbar.jpg
    sony soundbar.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I would Suggest that you try to get Samsung Q800B. If it isn't coming under your 30k budget. Then I would suggest Q600B. They are really fantastic. If you have an earc for your TV, then I am sure you will love them. But try to aim for Q800B atleast. I couldn't suggest any other. I am very impressed with them. Sony S40R, Logitech or Yamaha that you mentioned won't even come to these soundbars in your budget.

And by the way I suggest getting it from Croma. They give the best discounts on Audio. I got Q950A for 65k and Q800A for 30k during Diwali sale 2021. Worth the investment.

From the options indicated I would vote for Samsung 990B. I have a Samsung 800 series soundbar, and it has changed the watching experience by leaps and bounds. Disclaimer that I do not own any other soundbar. However, I have a full suite of Monitor audio RX series that is setup in my living room, and is damn good with Denon 2308 amp (limited capabilities I know). The samsung soundbar is in bedroom where "no wires" is the main theme and samsung does come to life with that.

If you are serious about building a good HT system, then start used.
Look for used AVR and a pair of speakers within your budget.
This forum sales threads are a good place to start. Friends, family, known people in the hobby are also a good place to start.
Then build the whole thing piece by piece.
All sound bars and the stop gap systems you mentioned are only basic time pass.
Just my two rupees.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back