Home Theatre - Dedicated - Please Suggest

amar10

Hi Friends,

I have dedicated room for home theatre. Size is as follows

13lenght x 10width x 9height.

I have also attached the layout of the room. The screen is pull down and behind it is the window. I am thinking of going for satellite speakers 5.1 channel for now.

Flooring - I am thinking to have carpet - covering full floor

Wall treatment- As you can see will have 2 panels(anutone) on left wall and 2 on right wall and 2 on the rear wall(not visible in the pic) . And have carpet done on the wall also

Door - Its not visible on this photo - but will be on the left hand side.

Cieling - I am thinking to have it done as plane POP with 6 dimmer lights

Colors of the wall will go for little bright colors on side walls. But will have dark colors on the left and right of the screen.

Do you think bass traps will be required ...considering the room size is less?

I have benq w1070 -

Please suggest if this is right approach and if there is anything I am missing.

Regards
Amar

Attachments

• HT Room.jpg
    HT Room.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 255
Guys, 52 views no reply

Hope I havent missed any vital information for all to ignore it :)

You can change the seating position as it will be dis comfortable for viewer at your RHS front to watch/listen for prolonged time. Consider row seating @ diff heights.

Hi

Can you share some more details, like what is your total budget, segmentation of your budget, what equipment you have planned to use, what automation (small or big), you have in mind ...... etc etc,

Thanks for your interest

There is no budget in my mind but a decent HT room should be ok.

Automation - maybe i should be able to control the lights - cant think of anyother automation?

Details - AVR - Onkyo NR 626 or Sony dnr 840 - not yet purchased - have asked one of my firned to get it from abroad - should happen in feb - are these amp good enough? i went by CNET ratings

Speakers - Not yet purchased

Projector screen - Maybe grandview 120inch... any other you recommend

HDMI cables - already bought

Please let me know if you need any more details

Amar,

Having done my dedicated room recently, here are some of my suggestions.

1. Floor - Instead of putting full carpet flooring, I have put laminated wooden flooring and just put a thick rug of 3' wide at the first reflection point of the front speakers. Maintaining a carpet floor is a nightmare in India :).

2. Side walls - I have put reflectors at the first and second reflection point for front speakers using anutone boards and then the reaming space on the wall is filled with 6mm plywood boards covered with cheap, plain colored cotton cloth. These surface act as reflectors and makes your stereo music sound lively.

3. Ceiling - I have used acoustic false ceiling from Anutone. Its expensive than POP. I heard the regular POP false ceiling tends to vibrate. There are other cheaper acoustic false ceiling options. Worth a research.

4. Try to put diffusers in the rear wall and area behind the screen where the front L-C-R speakers are kept. You can get pre-built diffusers from Buy Online | Lowest Price | Free Shipping| Aurica Pyramid Shaped Acoustical Foam Panel 10x10x2 - Set of 2 - Christmas Deal - Buy online at the guaranteed lowest price in India - BAJAAO - Buy online and Review Musical Instruments, Pro Audio, Studio, P. I have used it from them and they are pretty good.

5. Bass traps - I have built basstraps from Anutone material and used them in all the corners from floor to ceiling. Mine are 6" wide traps. I would recommend you to invest on the bass traps ONLY after you have done all the other acoustic treatments and playing around with your Sub woofer position. Sub woofer positioning plays a very SIGNIFICANT role in getting the bass right. If you cannot get a good Sub woofer position and get too much of BOOM, then look at getting a bass trap.

6. Automation - I have done a very simple motion sensitive lights for HT room. These lights switch on when you move around in the room. Like if you want to get up to go to the loo or to go out as this room is going to be very dark and it helps older people. I have used these - http://www.ebay.in/itm/Motion-Sensor-switch-180-degree-/151163983733?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item2332135775&_uhb=1#ht_2591wt_1041

Here is a link to my build thread :)

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/46258-yet-another-dedicated-home-theater-build.html

All the best with your build. I am sure that this will be one of the BEST investments you can make towards your personal entertainment :D.

Thanks,
John.

Last edited:
Friends, I am thinking of having thick carpet on the floor and lesser thick on the side and rear walls.

Will this be a good option in terms of acoustic or do you suggest to have acoustic slabs on top of the wall carpet as shown in the picture?

Hi

To be honest I don't have the liberty of having a special AV room as space is a premium in Mumbai. I currently use Boston Acoustic Soundware XS 5.1 speakers which are any day better performers and value for money than Bose cubes. If you have budget, you could perhaps go for the 5.1 setup from Boston which has Floorstanders / bookshelfs...check HiFiMart for good deals. B&W CM series is best for long term...its gonna cost you buddy.

In terms of AVR, I use a slim NR 1402 Marantz which again is better and outperforms its bulky competitors. Marantz is known for its dedication to music and music sounds so warm and deep. Movies too rock the place. If you want more power (output) perhaps you should check Marantz SR series. The Marantz is the best AVR for performance, it has 9 band adjustable EQ, Bass Treble controls and ofcourse a whole suite of Music and Movie modes...not forgetting AirPlay, Radio, etc etc.

All the best

Hi

To be honest I don't have the liberty of having a special AV room as space is a premium in Mumbai. I currently use Boston Acoustic Soundware XS 5.1 speakers which are any day better performers and value for money than Bose cubes. If you have budget, you could perhaps go for the 5.1 setup from Boston which has Floorstanders / bookshelfs...check HiFiMart for good deals. B&W CM series is best for long term...its gonna cost you buddy.

In terms of AVR, I use a slim NR 1402 Marantz which again is better and outperforms its bulky competitors. Marantz is known for its dedication to music and music sounds so warm and deep. Movies too rock the place. If you want more power (output) perhaps you should check Marantz SR series. The Marantz is the best AVR for performance, it has 9 band adjustable EQ, Bass Treble controls and ofcourse a whole suite of Music and Movie modes...not forgetting AirPlay, Radio, etc etc.

All the best

Chief,
thanks for useful info. I am also in process of setting up HT in living room. My living room size total 294 sqft.the distance between two walls are 14 ft.
Confused on system part seen NAD T748 with Viso speakers and also seen wharefadel 10.4 speakers .Can u suggest some 5.1 good options with (floor stand) in budget of 1.3Lakh.my preference is audio/video (60/40). Projector i am going for Benq 1070 95k.screen not decided if suggest.

sorry to write in this thread as i am only 2-3 thread old in this forum. And from my earlier thread not yet clear and seen that u had done ur setup recently. So thought if u can pl suggest help.

Chief,
thanks for useful info. I am also in process of setting up HT in living room. My living room size total 294 sqft.the distance between two walls are 14 ft.
Confused on system part seen NAD T748 with Viso speakers and also seen wharefadel 10.4 speakers .Can u suggest some 5.1 good options with (floor stand) in budget of 1.3Lakh.my preference is audio/video (60/40). Projector i am going for Benq 1070 95k.screen not decided if suggest.

sorry to write in this thread as i am only 2-3 thread old in this forum. And from my earlier thread not yet clear and seen that u had done ur setup recently. So thought if u can pl suggest help.

Projector why Benq 1070 (DLP ?), Why not Epson 2030 (5200) LCD?. What AVR you have planned ? .....In 1.3 L Polk RTi series is good. Whraf 10.5 are also good but I did not like them when it came to movies, they sounded much better in a stereo setup. Polks were better.

My HT construction in my sig...

Projector why Benq 1070 (DLP ?), Why not Epson 2030 (5200) LCD?. What AVR you have planned ? .....In 1.3 L Polk RTi series is good. Whraf 10.5 are also good but I did not like them when it came to movies, they sounded much better in a stereo setup. Polks were better.

My HT construction in my sig...

Sam ,
thank for the reply .
1) Benq no specific reason like the picture quality but still looking options if u can suggest in same budget.
2) avr decided booked Dali7 5.1 with Denon x2000.
For screen still confused if u can help (100 inch)
again thanks in advance.

I would suggest LCD over DLP, reason apart from rainbow effect (even thought if its 1 in 50) are listed in my HT thread. EPSON 2030 in the same budget is a great buy.

Dali 7 which one ? Ikon or Zensor .. ? X2000 is good, I opted for x1000 as I didnt see 4K requirement anytime soon.

screen which one ....fixed or pull down ...??? preferred aspect ratio ..???

I would suggest LCD over DLP, reason apart from rainbow effect (even thought if its 1 in 50) are listed in my HT thread. EPSON 2030 in the same budget is a great buy.

Dali 7 which one ? Ikon or Zensor .. ? X2000 is good, I opted for x1000 as I didnt see 4K requirement anytime soon.

screen which one ....fixed or pull down ...??? preferred aspect ratio ..???

Zensor 7 5.1,
screen with remote. 16:4 not fixed as i am setting up in my living room.
Suggest if anything missing I'm not a audiophile but after joining this forum gone back to my earlier days and felt like instead of HT Iin box or Boss I should go for system setup. Then started looking around. Already have the SonyHT purchased 2 year back Iin living room and bedroom but first audition of FT recollect my earlier days.

+1 to the LCD recommendation if you have a sensitive eye that can catch the rainbow effect in a DLP projector. I have a very sensitive eye and I can easily see the rainbow effect with all of the DLP projectors I have seen.

I am very happy with the LCD based Epson TW8000 I have. Works great for me :)
-John.

Zensor 7 5.1, ...... Good enough

screen with remote. 16:4 not fixed as i am setting up in my living room............

Must be 16:9... I guess it was a typo..... manual pull down, Liberty Grandview is very decent, price in Delhi was ~15K

Zensor 7 5.1, ...... Good enough

screen with remote. 16:4 not fixed as i am setting up in my living room............

Must be 16:9... I guess it was a typo..... manual pull down, Liberty Grandview is very decent, price in Delhi was ~15K

Sorry it was typo error it's16:9 looking ffor auto. How about elite and what we should look for screen.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back